Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ten Ton Hammer's Review

KracsNZ

Sorry if this is a repost, couldn't find it mentioned.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/feature/ten-reasons-you-should-be-playing-warframe

Ten Ton Hammers done another review on Warframe by the looks. Very positive review, though I don't agree with all their points. Positives were:

- No generic quest NPCs.

- Best melee combat in online gaming (think this is more saying something about the other games out there really).

- String PvE focus.

- All the benefits of endgame, without the level grind (not really sure on this one).

- Multiple mission types fit a wide variety of gameplay preferences (sorta, though most feel the same).

- Worthy companion system (in reference to Sentinels and Kubrows).

- Built with social play in mind (hmmmm).

- Min-maxing paradise (yup, very true).

- Councilor Vay Hek is team rocket (lol, yeah ok, funny reference).

- Simple yet gratifying skill system (i.e. they like the 4 powers per frame and being able to mod them, and weapons, how you like).

Agree with allot of it, but I think the grind is still there. Gameplay preference is another point, they mentioned all the gametypes, but I think there is only a few variations, i.e. stand around and protect stuff (D, MD, Extraction, Hijack, Interception), or run around killing S#&$ (Exterminate, Capture, Crossfire, Deception, Rescue, Sabotage, Spy, Survival), but that's just me. 

Anyways, DE got a pretty good advertisement there.

I would say Vindictus or Tera still holds the melee combat category. As an FPS Warframe absolutely has the best melee combat, but I can think of a handful of MMO's that still do it better. Warframe's melee lacks a cohesive feeling as the combo system often leaves it feeling loose and unresponsive. 

well it is how you look at the level grind and how you do it :P 30 levels basically but when you have to forma things 4-6 times :P BUT you can speed forma things that much in maybe an hour. Not like mmo's where you have to grind hours for a single level.

sentinels are worthy, kubrow's need improvement. They are kinda dumb in game ^^" i stopped using them cause they would NEVER use their skills for me. 

social game? i guess? if matchmaking worked... (sees event/alert with 70 open squads, cannot join any of them)

Hek point is all too true.

unfortunately i have not played in a couple days because i am bored as foop and do not feel like dealing with taints in nightmare raids. The raid is not a nightmare, i can 5 man it in 20min (one regular of mine is on vacation) and Pugs are the REAL FREAKING NIGHTMARE. THEY DO NOT LISTEN.

I would say Vindictus or Tera still holds the melee combat category. As an FPS Warframe absolutely has the best melee combat, but I can think of a handful of MMO's that still do it better. Warframe's melee lacks a cohesive feeling as the combo system often leaves it feeling loose and unresponsive. 

Dragon nest probably has the most fluid action combat atleast in my experience.

"Having played dozens upon dozens of MMOs over the past 16 years, I find it quite fitting that the most gratifying melee combat I’ve experienced in online gaming resides within what most people assume is a more straightforward cooperative shooter. While MMO development studios continue scrambling to find ways to make melee combat more engaging, vital, and kinetic, Warframe has already managed to crack the formula. The secret? Make melee combat as fast-paced and engaging as gunplay, and don’t be so restrictive with choices in weaponry. Simple yet effective combos per weapon type based on slotted stances are also light years ahead of what most online games have to offer."

I N E X P E R I E N C E D

L

A

Y

E

R

Seriously though, melee sucks, how many times have sword alone players out performed fully equipped players? Combo meter still needs a significant overhaul in order to see any functionality outside of camping a vortex.

Isn't Ten Ton Hammer a Bait Click controversial creditable source for video game opinions?

Yeah, hard one to judge. With the whole controversy with IGN you can never be sure, but TTH seem a bit low-key to be targeted by games companies in that way.

Never know though, they've given SkyForge reasonably good previews and its the worst formulaic POS MMO I've played in a long time.

Edited by KracsNZ

lol at best melee combat.

the only thing that i like about melee on warframe is the beautiful bullet blocking.

Warframe melee combo kinda like dumbed down version of Koei's warrior series.

I vote Wildstar's warrior class for best in show: melee. Dynamic, solid, and meaty.

I'd have to agree with this...

Tera's melee looks great, is very engaging, and rewards skillful use.

Yes, Melee "system" of Warframe is most likely one of the best. Or more precise, the idea of Warframe melee system.

You have a lot of melee weapons to choose from. Combo's changing by simply switching a stance mod.

Pretty much each stance has a combo or two with special characteristics.

But, the actual combat is where its lacking. There is no feel to it, like you have in melee oriented games, such as C9, Tera, Vindictus, etc...

The enemies perform their little dance as you hit them, but you don't feel the impact.

By feeling the impact I mean this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/295471-melee-20-general-feedback/

Although Warframe does have some grind, you don't need to do it to enjoy its content. You can fight every boss and craft every weapon or frame while staying at a relatively low grind level (law of retribution excluded). Many games lock content away to higher-level echelons comparatively. So I agree with that point of the re-view. 

Vindictus is 100 times the melee combat of Warframe though.