Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rip My Computer.

Sixty5

I hope you build a replacement soon and return to full ultra setting glory. Mind telling us your build?

I personally use an AMD R9 280X 3gb and have not been experiencing issues with anything so far. Are there any issues that might appear in the future? I had previously upgraded a 2005? model HP Pavilion with a 50$ nvidia card about 3 years ago and that did some serious magic. Allowed me to play any game on medium/slightly better that xbox360 graphics. So noting that i will probably upgrade to something along the lines of a GTX 980 4GB at least. Though wasn't there some sort of controversy with those cards lately. I though i saw something on the r/pcmasterrace subreddit.

Edited by pattonsguy

Indeed.

If AMD cars, they would be driverless, whilst cars made by Nvidia would have 3.5 wheels.

Not to mention the AMD car runs hotter, and louder as well. Budget wise your at least still getting similar performance to Nvida at the very least. 

I hope you build a replacement soon and return to full ultra setting glory. Mind telling us your build?

I personally use an AMD R9 280X 3gb and have not been experiencing issues with anything so far. Are there any issues that might appear in the future? I had previously upgraded a 2005? model HP Pavilion with a 50$ nvidia card about 3 years ago and that did some serious magic. Allowed me to play any game on medium/slightly better that xbox360 graphics. So noting that i will probably upgrade to something along the lines of a GTX 980 4GB at least. Though wasn't there some sort of controversy with those cards lately. I though i saw something on the r/pcmasterrace subreddit.

This was my rebuilt Alienware Mx17 laptop.

The thing was having massive issues blue screening when I got it and that lead to me getting it for next to nothing.

I ended up replacing the drives, tge motherboard the ram and the screen in it.

Initially I wanted to run an 880m in it, but unfortunately the power supply in it wasn't up to the job, so I ended up just using the 6990m that came with it.

And for the most part, I had no issues with it.

But now it is borked.

Might have a look at what parts I can get through work, see if I can't get an Nvidia card that will work with it.

Alternatively I might just salvage what I can, and build myself a fancy new tower.

I'd like to go for a 980, but I knoe I can get a 970 through work for a pretty damn good price.

Hell I might just say screw it, buy a server case and build me a RAID Boss that will chew up any other computers that try and compete.

Im thinking about redoing my old desktop here, a literal 'frankenstien' of a desktop that runs decently well.

As someone who is a proud (And I use that term lossely) owner of a PowerEdge 2950 Don't use windows based software RAID. *looks at his sign of "Days since last Storage Rebuild: 2 Years since last HDD break: 5"

Budget wise your at least still getting similar performance to Nvida at the very least. 

Actually no. You can always say its cheaper when you buy it but that falls off the more you use it because it draws more power off the wall than Nvidia.

Welcome to my world Sixty5, a world where you have a 1 in 20 chance of your computer starting up. Hence why I play on consoles. Never had a reliability issue with console hardware. I'll be getting my GTX980 tomorrow. (I know i said I would get it sooner elsewhere but I've been sick so the monies have been scarce lately). But even then if it fixes the boot up failures something else will end up @(*()$ up.

Welcome to my world Sixty5, a world where you have a 1 in 20 chance of your computer starting up. Hence why I play on consoles. Never had a reliability issue with console hardware. I'll be getting my GTX980 tomorrow. (I know i said I would get it sooner elsewhere but I've been sick so the monies have been scarce lately). But even then if it fixes the boot up failures something else will end up @(*()$ up.

I've got no issues starting the thing up. 16 gigs of ram and an Evo.840 take care of that.

The issue is the GPU/drivers that are faulty as crap.

Anyways, boot failures are usually caused by your install of windows or your hard disk/ram.

Try fixing those first before pinning your hopes on a 980, that is unless you have an AMD card/processor, in which case that is invariably to blame.

I've got no issues starting the thing up. 16 gigs of ram and an Evo.840 take care of that.

The issue is the GPU/drivers that are faulty as crap.

Anyways, boot failures are usually caused by your install of windows or your hard disk/ram.

Try fixing those first before pinning your hopes on a 980, that is unless you have an AMD card/processor, in which case that is invariably to blame.

Well I do have a radeon card currently. But I've done everything else I can to get it to boot anyway. I hate computers. Never known anything brand new that can break down so often.

Well I do have a radeon card currently. But I've done everything else I can to get it to boot anyway. I hate computers. Never known anything brand new that can break down so often.

Some parts can have compatibility isdues.

Also new stuff breaks all the time

I'd recommend you not get a 970.

Oh my god, it's this crap all over again.

Not only Nvidia pretty much fixed this issue a few drivers ago, and you really cannot notice any difference anymore, the problem wasn't 3.5GB instead of 4GB, but parted memory bus (224+32bit).

Nvidia not only improved memory management a lot, they have their new fancy compression algorithm that's supposed to increase memory bandwith by ~25% or so they say.

GTX970 is currently pretty much the best GPU you can get right now, and is enough for pretty much anything up to 1440p.

BUT 4K!

WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT 4K!? There's barely any GPU that can reliably and consistently output 4K images at reasonable framerate without cuts on quality.

We won't be seeing truly 4K ready GPUs for the next few years, because 4K gaming is a damn niche.

Oh my god, it's this crap all over again.

Not only Nvidia pretty much fixed this issue a few drivers ago, and you really cannot notice any difference anymore, the problem wasn't 3.5GB instead of 4GB, but parted memory bus (224+32bit).

Nvidia not only improved memory management a lot, they have their new fancy compression algorithm that's supposed to increase memory bandwith by ~25% or so they say.

GTX970 is currently pretty much the best GPU you can get right now, and is enough for pretty much anything up to 1440p.

BUT 4K!

WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT 4K!? There's barely any GPU that can reliably and consistently output 4K images at reasonable framerate without cuts on quality.

We won't be seeing truly 4K ready GPUs for the next few years, because 4K gaming is a damn niche.

All that energy! I can feel that you believe in your cause! It's beautiful.

I'm just going to assume that you know what you're talking about, because your intent is to browbeat people into agreeing with you, and what kind of jerk would I be if I denied you your fix?

I'll just be over here, enjoying what life feels like when I know that not everyone is a dangerous peddler of imperfect information who must be stamped out.

RIP BAe.. You should have told me earlier.. Actually, hey.. I have an old -- oh wait, you live in.. You know where.. the shipping would be insane.

(Would send you this 750ti I have lying around, but.(you know.. no money for shipping.)

(I spent all my money on getting my new gpu)

Edited by InhibitedFox