May 19Th: Hot Feedback Topics

[DE]Rebecca

Yes, why dont we set up a Rhino study on Twitch.

Have everyone come to discuss this and show examples of what he can and cannot do.

Maybe the DE folks can see how normal folks play instead of just seeing numbers and statistic like the evil programmers they are.

Was that sarcasm? Because I'm totally up for it. I've been doing nothing but using Rhino Charge and using Stomp as my panic button.

My energy pool has never felt so shallow.

This may or may not be the right place to post this but from Becca's input on the banshee ultimate, it sounds as if our warframes are NOT supposed to be vulnerable during the casting animation of our ultimates? If so, this isn't just an issue with banshee, I've been playing Ember ever since (OMGWTFNERF) and everyone swearing she sucked. She was challenging to get into but now I love playing her. Aside from the Ember fandom, with this recent update I noticed that her ultimate is susceptible to this vulnerability during the casting animation and prior to the update, this was not so. (I tested it sufficiently enough as I had (before reset) 6 frames and I played Ember the most within a few days of play, so everything about her has been thoroughly tested host-side and operation under a host.)

Spoken like a true plebian.

Link will target the first closest enemy. When it dies, it then moves to the NEXT CLOSEST ENEMY, until Link's effect runs out.

Snow Globe is 30 seconds of 100% ranged DR along with perma chill within it. If you get killed in it, you deserved it.

Invisibility/Smokescreen DROPS ALL AGGRO when used, and immunity to bullets.

Molt/Decoy are much like Invisibility and Smokescreen in the fact that it DROPS ALL AGGRO OFF OF YOU within its area of usage. And its pretty wide. That's pretty much 100% DR, provided you don't get hit by a stray bullet or AoE. But that's why they're AoEs, right?

Vauban can hold/stun enemies in his trap, which is the equivalent of 100% DR, like killing.

Miasma will STUN on usage, completely unresisted, and DoTs after. The only thing it CAN'T kill are Ancients and bosses. And Ancients are Ancients.

Sound Quake, with its NEW DAMAGE BUFF, can still wipe a 4 man Kiste (Ceres) room of Lancers with Focus. Just learn to do it in a safe place or carry Shade.

Actually, a well-leveled and played saryn CAN kill ancients. When you start going above lvl 50+ all bets are off.

Was that sarcasm? Because I'm totally up for it. I've been doing nothing but using Rhino Charge and using Stomp as my panic button.

My energy pool has never felt so shallow.

I wasnt joking.

If you want to do it I'm down.

We should call it

Mak Gohae and Goozilla Present

A Rhino Study or: How I Stop Worrying What Other Attacks Do and Began to Love Mine.

I get top billing because i will, of course, draw more people in.

Thank you for a well formulated post on the subject, that is something that DE can actually "use".

Which is and has been my point from the start :)

As for answers:

RE: reason to run rhino:

Well, there is the "obvious" very cheesy answer of: Use the other skills he has.

The (maybe) less obvious answer (but still rather cheesy) is: DE has said quite a few times (and from my pov it seems rather obvious) that they prefer when skills are used in a "synergy" between frames.

Example of this: Rhino stomp + Ember fire blast + Loki invis/Ash invis.

Another: Mag's bullet attractor + Excaliburs radial javelin

It has also been hinted (last time was the last livestream iirc) that there are still "combos" like that, which havnt been found. (Granted i could easily have misunderstood that part of the stream)

RE: main role people used him for:

From my end that is covered with the answers above.

RE: Slow speed and rank lock:

I hadnt forgotten about the speed, but i will happily admit i had forgotten about the rank lock.

The speed is okay because he has the kind of crowd control that he has,

The rank lock, im very much against..

RE: Why change:

I obviously dont know "how" the people that "thought" up Rhino think. But i dont think its an unthinkable thought that they cringe just a bit when all they hear about is how iron skin is the only skill used.

All the frames have abilities that are situational, some are very, some are less. But i dont think its a "bad" idea that DE is trying to "educate/broaden" (for a lack of a better term/word for describing it) the players "way" of using/playing Rhino.

Yes, i can easily understand that its not "fun" when the "easy" solution gets taken away, but DE have shown on numerous occasions that they actually do "know" what they are doing.

And the "fun" fact is, the only way they can "know" how the playerbase reacts to something is to "test" it out on us in a live setting.

If there is something i havnt covered, please do point it out and ill happily try and answer it.

If you dont agree with someone, or think they are a troll, either ignore or report that post/person to the moderators.

There is no "point" in namecalling and stuff like that. It just removes the focus from what (i hope) we are all here for, giving feedback to DE.

I don't think you've actually played as Rhino.

First, let me say there were already multiple threads talking about IS on Rhino, what was 'wrong', and what to do to fix it.  DE either ignored them or went with the worst opinion someone had.  

Second, let me say that after the patch, there were hundreds of posts with serious and well thought out reasons why the IS nerf was bad, and what to do to fix it.  They didn't all agree, but they all agreed that the nerf was bad.

Third, let me say that the guy you're saying isn't a troll, continually said the nerf was just fine with no argument as to why, other than to play differently LOL.  That's a troll.

Fourth, let me say that the other skills on Rhino are either semi-broken or do not work well.  Charge often gets caught on terrain or something else, doesn't do much damage (so the things you knock down often aren't dead), sometimes doesn't knock them down, and often leaves you sitting right in front of a few enemies with more getting up behind you, all beating on you.  Slash-dash does not do that (though it sometimes gets stopped by walls).  Slash-dash can be used as an escape; Rhino charge cannot because it's unreliable.  Radial Blast, the ground punch, doesn't do much damage and it's radius of damage is very small.  It's generally beaten in damage and range by a jumping ground attack with a heavy weapon, something any frame can do and costs no energy.  Rhino Stomp has a reasonable radius but doesn't do damage, and doesn't keep them in the air and exposed long enough to put them down.  It's an inferior form of CC in almost every way to things like Radial Blind, and certainly for an Ult it's underpowered and weak.

Maybe Rhino was invisioned as a CC frame, but it doesn't play that way.  It isn't even advertised that way.  It does have nice health, armor, and shield values, but it's slow speed makes it more vulnerable; it takes more damage because it can't take cover as easily.  It's also annoying to play because it's so slow.

IS was the ONLY skill used on it because the other skills were generally worthless.  Nerfing IS doesn't make the other skills more useful, it just makes the whole frame weaker and less useful.

On top of this, in general game theory, reduction of the value of a particular strategy does not increase player options, but reduces them.  Reduction of player choice generally leads to dissatisfaction.  In short, it's almost always bad to nerf rather than buff; better to Buff Rhino's other skills rather than Nerf the only skill people found useful on him.

And that's the flaws behind all of your statements.  They're dismissive and show you don't have any history regarding the problem, nor do you have any basis for the statements you do make.  People have been, were, and continue to post what's wrong and what they think needs done to fix it, and I'm afraid that you sir, are not.

So stop pointing fingers.  Obviously, most people agree that the Rhino nerf was bad.  I'd say a large portion of those people think any nerf on it was bad, and that it needed a buff to it's other skills instead.  In particular, because there's no PvP and even when there is it will only be friendly, nerfing is stupid.  It just is.  And even if the nerf IS necessary, this nerf doesn't accomplish the goal of making it non-spamable, it just accomplishes making it undesireable.  Those two things aren't the same thing.  People can still sit there and run it constantly if they could before; they just don't want to anymore because it's not useful to do so.  They also don't want to stomp, blast, or charge.  They just want to get into a different frame that actually works well, and right now after this patch, Rhino's not it.

I'm glad they're looking at it, and I think they should seriously look at what their players, who actually play Rhino, want, rather than what people who like to give their opinions without any basis for them say.

The issue is that all those other powers are generally not very good even at what they do compared to other options. Radial Blast has knockdown and some damage, but Radial Blind does crowd control much better on account of greater range, lower cost, and greater duration. Rhino Stomp looks real cool in use, but most of the other ult powers look just as cool but do damage and oftentimes lock down the enemy almost as well (eg Avalanche will chill what it doesn't kill.) Frame synergy sounds good on paper, but it's only really good with clanmates or friends; pugs will just do whatever they want either way with it being a crapshoot as to whether they actually shoot at the six ancients being held by stomp or not.

And when dealing with friends, old IS provides much greater frame synergy, because it lets Rhino wade into huge masses of ancients, keeping them focused on him so less durable frames can kill without having to frantically dodge. If one of your friends went down, you could walk into hell itself for fifteen glorious seconds to get them out.

Now, Rhino players can't do that unless we're talking about low level systems. In high level ones, 80% DR does little but buy slow Rhino a few extra seconds under fire, ones he has trouble taking advantage of because he's so slow.

The kind of crowd control he has isn't very good though. Excal does CC better, for instance, with radial blind and his greater mobility allowing him to reposition to use it easily. Ember does it better because enemies set on fire have a good chance to panic for several seconds, and because of her greater speed, greater DR, and greater energy pool. Nyx's crowd control power, chaos, is still amazing even after the nerf, what with turning huge masses of enemies into a good thing, rather than a bad thing. Vauban, although I've not played him yet, supposedly has a power that's like a rhino stomp you can use at range and which supposedly lasts longer for only 75 energy.

Rhino also doesn't have the DPS to handle the enemies he's CCing, which is a problem with pugs and when soloing. Unless Rhino is using a good gun, but anyone can use any gun.

The reason nobody uses the other powers is because the other powers are garbage even as crowd control. Sure some people like Mak will say it's all fine, but Mak seems to have made a career of finding a use for garbage powers like superjump or radial blast.

I don't necessarily support IS going back to exactly as it was (I favor increasing energy cost to 75 or 100 and nerfing duration down to ~10 seconds - with Rhino's terrible energy capacity, this should be enough to prevent it from being spammed.), but the temporary invulnerability was the major draw of Rhino for myself and lots of others. Not because I'm a scrub peasant who can't play as some others have implied (Rank 5 means I must have played with more than Rhino), but because the playstyle enabled by the temporary invulnerability appealed to me the most out of all the frames. My only problem is how easily spammable it was. I rarely if ever spammed it because I like having it in reserve if I run into trouble, but I can see how spammable IS would be a major balance problem.

True, which is why they partially de-nerfed the Hek before.

I agree with everything you said my friend.

Radial Blast does do horrible damage. I have it Maxed plus Max focus.. still only scratches nearly 25-30% SOMETIMES 45% of most enemies health I come face to face with. Plus it seems that if you try to do say two Radial Blasts in a row the second blast is virtually wasted since the enemies APPEAR to take far less damage from it whilst grounded... almost ignores the whole ability all together.

Edited by AdampoTheBean

However it's difficult as Master and Grand Masters get more say and access to special part of the forums.

No we don't. Seriously, that "Special section" is a joke. All we get to do are polls on Frame names, make suggestions for Frame/mod concepts, that have to be submitted in a certain format to be accepted, and get previews on things (mostly concept art).

We can't even start threads in the section.

It's not some super exclusive, gods among mortals thing.

Okay, here goes:

Rhino, is, right now, 100% useless.  I am a big fan of Rhino, he was my favorite frame, the first one I nailed as soon as I finished with my Excalibur(Who I am crawling back to) This is how my gameplay would go:  Play normally, radial blast, stomp, charge, HEK blast to the face, yadda yadda ya.  But when I got into trouble, i.e. I get caught in an endless chain of Ambulias attacks, and my shields were gone, they started burning into my health, I would then use Iron Skin.  Because he was a tank, because that was his JOB.  Being able to survive.  Surrounded by 3 toxic ancients and 2 healers?  You're already dying.  I would only use Iron Skin in EMERGENCY situations.  i.e. my buddy, who plays Loki and Ash, needs to be revived because he did something stupid, and lost his bladestorming ability to a disruptor, I would be there to save him!  that was my job!  no other warframe can save a downed player like that!  no matter what!  Trinity's blessing does nothing, Loki's switch teleport only got YOU into trouble, it was just...Rhino's full-on personality.  There are only two kinds of people who use Rhino:  The A******s who use it for personal gain.  (very un-Tenno like) and leave their buddies to die while they're smiling behind 3 inches of tin foil skin.  The other kind, was me.  Team players!!!  Those who feel the need to contribute to their team, and not get left behind as a noobish player.  Those who are constantly being thanked by the thousands they saved.  The hero.  That was me.  And now, I"m nothing more than a Loki, cowering in the shadows.  I want my hero back DE.

Okay, here goes:

Rhino, is, right now, 100% useless.  I am a big fan of Rhino, he was my favorite frame, the first one I nailed as soon as I finished with my Excalibur(Who I am crawling back to) This is how my gameplay would go:  Play normally, radial blast, stomp, charge, HEK blast to the face, yadda yadda ya.  But when I got into trouble, i.e. I get caught in an endless chain of Ambulias attacks, and my shields were gone, they started burning into my health, I would then use Iron Skin.  Because he was a tank, because that was his JOB.  Being able to survive.  Surrounded by 3 toxic ancients and 2 healers?  You're already dying.  I would only use Iron Skin in EMERGENCY situations.  i.e. my buddy, who plays Loki and Ash, needs to be revived because he did something stupid, and lost his bladestorming ability to a disruptor, I would be there to save him!  that was my job!  no other warframe can save a downed player like that!  no matter what!  Trinity's blessing does nothing, Loki's switch teleport only got YOU into trouble, it was just...Rhino's full-on personality.  There are only two kinds of people who use Rhino:  The A******s who use it for personal gain.  (very un-Tenno like) and leave their buddies to die while they're smiling behind 3 inches of tin foil skin.  The other kind, was me.  Team players!!!  Those who feel the need to contribute to their team, and not get left behind as a noobish player.  Those who are constantly being thanked by the thousands they saved.  The hero.  That was me.  And now, I"m nothing more than a Loki, cowering in the shadows.  I want my hero back DE.

The weirdo highlight is unappreciated, but I agree with what you're saying.

Third, let me say that the guy you're saying isn't a troll, continually said the nerf was just fine with no argument as to why, other than to play differently LOL.  That's a troll.

No argument to why except the argument he put forth?

If you can no longer stand in the middle of a group of enemies then knock them out with your other abilities.

Powers being changed is nothing new, other folks have adapted you folks should do the same.

Fourth, let me say that the other skills on Rhino are either semi-broken or do not work well. 1 Charge often gets caught on terrain or something else, 2doesn't do much damage (so the things you knock down often aren't dead), 3sometimes doesn't knock them down, 4and often leaves you sitting right in front of a few enemies with more getting up behind you, all beating on you.  Slash-dash does not do that (though it sometimes gets stopped by walls). 5 Slash-dash can be used as an escape; Rhino charge cannot because it's unreliable. 6 Radial Blast, the ground punch, doesn't do much damage and it's radius of damage is very small.  7It's generally beaten in damage and range by a jumping ground attack with a heavy weapon, something any frame can do and costs no energy.  8Rhino Stomp has a reasonable radius but doesn't do damage, and doesn't keep them in the air and exposed long enough to put them down.  It's an inferior form of CC in almost every way to things like Radial Blind, and certainly for an Ult it's underpowered and weak.

1It gets caught as often as SnD, learn the angles it works and the ones that dont.

2It's not meant to be a one-shot attack it's SUPPOSED to knock people down.

3I always knocks people down, if there is some lag and there is no animation showing the person down the fact that the enemy is just standing there doing nothing is proof that the knockdown is in effect.

4 What? Learn the range and dont use it so you are left in front of people....

5 You can do the same with charge.

6 At least half damage and it has the same range as Avalanche.

7 That's simply not true at all.

8 Put what down? Cause if you cant kill normal units within 9 seconds you have a problem with what you are using.

Maybe Rhino was invisioned as a CC frame, but it doesn't play that way.  It isn't even advertised that way.  It does have nice health, armor, and shield values, but it's slow speed makes it more vulnerable; it takes more damage because it can't take cover as easily.  It's also annoying to play because it's so slow.

3 of his attacks knock enemies down... how is THAT not playing as a CC?

Radial Blast has damage while Blind doesnt so when you blind some one you need to take their whole health while with Blast at least half of the job is already done for you. There is balance here which you folks are completely ignoring.

Radial blast's damage is utterly pathetic. Level 20 enemies will just shrug it off, to say nothing of level 30s or 40s. I'm better off using my scindo for a jump attack since it does more damage, has similar range, and can chill targets.

Rhino has the second largest range for an ult which can be increased too.

So? Avalanche doesn't have much smaller range, does a good bit of damage and chills everyone who isn't instakilled. Frost also has a good reason to use a stretch mod because most of his powers benefit from it.

Rhino doesn't have a good reason to use a stretch mod because at the absolute best, only two of his powers benefit from it and he doesn't have any polarities that make good use of it.

So they should balance the game based on the probably that some people wont react in a certain way?

How do you balance for that?

Answer: You don't. You don't make frame combos like that consciously, you watch the players come up with them on their own.

Certainly because it's nearly impossible to actually balance, considering the nature of multiplayer gameplay.

Or you could knock them down or up as many times are you are allowed.

By "as many times as you're allowed", you mean "once or twice" with Rhino's tiny energy pool, right? And that still isn't going to help the guy surrounded by toxic ancients.

You'd be better off just telling us to use our heavy melee weapons in jump attacks.

Ex doesnt it differently.

So? Saryn does "spawn a decoy" differently than Loki, but that doesn't mean you can't compare the two. The problem is that when you compare Excalibur's radial blind to both of Rhino's main CC powers, Rhino comes up short. Blind stuns for longer than blast at a greater range more cheaply. Blind stuns for almost as long at a slightly less range than Stomp for half the cost.

At higher levels, which seems to be part of the problem here, Ember's Fireblast doesnt really do that and enemies can walk RIGHT UP TO HER and hit her. But guess what?  ALL enemies will continue to get knocked down from Rhino's attack.

I wasn't aware there was a chance to resist fire debuff.

It's good, no question but enemies can still attack if you if attack them or there isnt anything else they can attack. It's...well.... chaos.

Yeah? And? Enemies can recover from radial blast in a matter of moments. With chaos the enemies are shooting at each other, so it's hard to argue it's worse CC than RB, considering how much more effective there is.

If wiki is correct it half the range of stomp.  That's what brought the cost down.

With the rub that it can also be used at range.

Also, wiki isn't always right.

Huh?

Why is your weapons, apparently, being thrown out of the equation?

I dont really know how to read this statement because it makes no sense.

His stuns all do some damage unlike half of the ones you mentioned which require the heavy use of weapons... why wouldn't you use your weapons in combination with your attacks?

Because we're comparing frames rather than weapons here. Saying "oh Rhino can just pull out his level 30 potato'd hek with maxed damage and multishot to deal with the enemy" means little, because any frame can do that. It's not a strength of Rhino, it's a strength of any warframe with a gun. Which is all of them. That uberhek is going to be just as effective in the hands of Excal, Rhino, Frost, or whoever.

Can you provide a clear explanation why knockdown powers that have some damage are garbage?

And please so use the silly response of "other powers better!" Because if we follow that line of thought, like i've said before, we would only be use 3 Warframes.

Because that "some damage" is utterly pathetic in mid to high level systems. I tried it in wave 10 on Io, so midlevel enemies, and my gram's normal swings did more damage with about the same area effect.

Also, your logic on this "silly response" is suspect. All the other warframes generally have niches they're good at. Rhino's niches - tanking and CC, are both now done better by other frames.

"They are there to be used, why arent you using them?

Using those move made this Iron Skin adjustment have little effect on my play style so finding use for those powers was, apparently, a benefit."

I'm not using them because they're trash. Why play Rhino when his CC is subpar compared to others, he's slow as molasses, and the only unique thing about him is gone?

It's nice that you find "use" for garbage powers, but that doesn't change the fact that they're still garbage.

4) Alert System for New content?

Is this the way it will always be? No, not at all. Implementing a Warframe this way has been met with feedback from all sides. At the time of writing this, it has been about 40 hours since the Update featuring Vauban was released, with no parts yet dropped. The system is RNG and I am closely monitoring the feed to get the parts myself. We want to be fair, Steve said it best in the FAQ https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/5898-warframe-faq/.

There has been suggestions of ways to improve the alerts (adding a token system, generating Alerts based on time logged in, etc), and these are being seen.

Posting again (I have no clue if a staff member has read or not)

I still think this is the fairest solution - and would encourage people to do alerts immensely.

My idea is to make the reward for [?] alert missions to be randomized every time for every player.

Four players enter a [?] mission:

- Player one receives a Pistol Scavenger artifact.

- Player two receives a Steel Charge artifact.

- Player three receives an Orokin Reactor blueprint.

- Player four receives a Rifle Scavenger artifact.

All items are from the same loot pool that already exists for [?] missions. New items are simply added to the pool when released.

What does this accomplish?

- People will complete more [?] alert missions if they are seeking a specific item, or just want a chance at a potato. Each mission is a chance to get the item they seek. Right now I check the reward and then decide if I want to complete it, if it's an artifact I already have, many times I won't bother. But if I do not know what the reward will be? I'd complete every one I had the chance to.

- It removes the "but I was at work" feeling of the current setup.

Downsides?

- It will encourage hatred of the oh so misunderstood random number gods...

Edited by Akivoodoo

Regarding the market:

I haven't said much regarding this; Because rewards in credits are higher than they once were, 50k credits doesn't seem like  big hit.  When I plunked down my 50k for a Latron, I'd spent a great deal of time earning those credits; you get mission rewards in the hundreds of credits at best on the early missions.  And that's important, because new players don't have access to missions giving them 12k credits at a time.  They also don't have access to lots of materials for crafting either.

There needs to be a small selection of available primary, secondary, and melee weapons that can be purchased at relatively low costs.  At least one shotgun, and rifle, a couple of pistols to complement the shotgun and rilfe, and two or three different sorts of melee weapons (fast daggers, mid-ranged sword, slow heavy weapon).  And if they need to be craftable, they need to be craftable from things someone completing Mercury would get.  Why?

Because new players will stop playing when they can't get any equipment, and they're not going to take risks trying out weapons that most people say are sub-optimal if it's too hard or too expensive to obtain them.

I also think Alloy Plate is possibly the most difficult uncommon material to find right now, so making everything rely on it is essentially making it another form of currency, as someone put it.  I don't think everything needs to go back to the way it was, but I do think DE need to keep an eye on it and adjust it, particularly with new players who won't have lots of credits and materials, in mind.  Because the reality isn't that the new player has the choice to either farm for the BP build or buy it with platinum; they also have the third choice to just quit all together, and many of them will exercise that, especially if they look at 75k credits for a shotgun or 500 alloy plate for a rifle.  They won't even see alloy plate until Venus, and they won't see much of it there.

But I do think that the prices we had in the market before obviously were beta prices meant to get people trying the weapons and not stuck farming just to make the weapons.  I just worry that too high a cost of entry will stagnate the player base to those who are already playing.

On top of this, in general game theory, reduction of the value of a particular strategy does not increase player options, but reduces them.  Reduction of player choice generally leads to dissatisfaction.  In short, it's almost always bad to nerf rather than buff; better to Buff Rhino's other skills rather than Nerf the only skill people found useful on him.

This right here. This is why weak centric balancing in my opinion is bad, they are un-fun, especially in what is effectively a PvE centric game at the moment. I would rather they keep the abilities of the frame good, but increase the cost of using it. If it's such a good skill, there has to be a price to pay, and if DE want Rhino players to not be in constant God-mode, the energy cost should reflect that, because old IS had a niche.

Also I am so damn close to Rank 5 too. 

I just want alert token system like I'm APBR (joker tickets)...

Each alert gives you token so you can buy what ever you want rather than wait for RNG god to feel kinky .....

This is basically another grind, but one that's more reliable and less RNG, even when compared with boss drops. There'll need to be adjustments to make it take a non-trivial amount of tokens to get the good stuff, of course. I support the idea.

8) ... and Banshee? What about her Sound Quake?

I believe the damage Sound Quake now does is working as intended... but being vulnerable during the casting animation is problematic. Will inform and suggest invulnerability be returned. 

What? Working as intended?

So, double hit glitch off-host is "working as intended"? Or the dev team is not aware of the presence of this glitch? I'm confused.

And this nerf was unneeded to begin with. Sound Quake on host was totally ok.