Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Really Need Help/suggestions With This Pc Configuration.

xZean

Hello everyone,

sadly, my Graphic Card broke (I had a XFX AMD R7870) and my Hard Disk is dying.

I'd like to know what VGA could replace my old one, and I also need suggestions for a new HDD of 1TB.

VGA: Keep in mind that I'd like to change brand (I want that sexy PhysX) and that it should at least have the same performance of the older one. (But I'd really like an Upgrade)

Budget: about $650 

These are my pc's components without VGA and HDD: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7RGvQ7

PS: I'm sorry if you happen to find grammar errors or something else, but English is not my first language. I tryharded.

WD Black 1TB + GTX 980?

Should be about $650.

@below

Suggesting a 5400 RPM HDD. /facepalm

Go 7200.

Also don't get a 970 if you want a long-lasting GPU.

Get 980 or AMD (290X)

Edit2:

http://www.legitreviews.com/western-digital-2tb-caviar-green-and-black-hard-drives_1077

good night.

Edit3:

Someone doesn't realize there's only one drive in the build.

Oh well, what do I care.

Edited by Shifted

Dunno if the i5-2500 series will fit for your gaming, haven't tested it, but my i7-28## 3.2GHz on my Laptop was kind of slow.

Tho, the ASRock motherboard is fine for overclocking (because of its Z-Model structure).

If you want a good GPU with PhysiX - Palit or regular GeForce 970+ GTX models, but take note, they are noisy as f***.

I am using an i5-4690k 5.00GHz (OC from 3.75GHz) and an Asus Rog Matrix R9 290X 4G.

Running every game at least with 60 FPS (up to 75 and 120, depending on the monitore) and using my CPU for PhysiX mechanics/renderings, since AMD has no way to obtain the technologies of Nvidia (copyright and such).

They won't offer their service to AMD.

Anything else, about, HDD should be rather easy to suggest: Seagate or Samsung. Samsung has a great performance peak.

Using a Samsung SSD 850 EVO. Booting up from bios to desktop within 3 seconds.

Regular 1TB HDD: Western Digital WD Green with 5400 rpm. Fast and powersaving.

Edit: for a proper counterpart:

http://www.sysprofile.de/id188977 (declarations might be in german, but shouldn't be that of a hard challenge to "decipher" it.)

I am totally fine with my 1200€ rig. Will run games and my game-servers within the next 5-10 years, without upgrading anything.

@below

Suggesting a 5400 RPM HDD. /facepalm

Go 7200.

Also don't get a 970 if you want a long-lasting GPU.

Get 980 or AMD (290X)

"Facepalm", aha. You read the "GREEN" declaration at it, right? Powersaving methodes are for you like "fck it, who needs to think about such things". Oh geez.

And the GPU:

Palit or regular GeForce 970>>+<< GTX models

Kind of blind, as it seems like.

Go for the WD Green, trust me.

You know the purpose and definition of a hard drive disk "STORAGE", right?

It is not like he is going to pull and swap over multiple terabytes of files within a year.

If you want to transfer files - go for an extern HDD. You suggestion is just misplaced for the "I saw a review and know it better".

Any kind of program has to be installed onto the main drive, doesn't matter if it is a SSD, HDD BLACK or GREEN.

Saved files won't cause high traffic due to reading writing. What actually matters is your CPU and RAM capacity.

Again, go for the WD Green. Less noise, great performance, has a longer live (write/read/save) duration than other brands and even same based brand products.

Edited by Pacheon

Dunno if the i5-2500 series will fit for your gaming, haven't tested it, but my i7-28## 3.2GHz on my Laptop was kind of slow.

Tho, the ASRock motherboard is fine for overclocking (because of its Z-Model structure).

If you want a good GPU with PhysiX - Palit or regular GeForce 970+ GTX models, but take note, they are noisy as f***.

I am using an i5-4690k 5.00GHz (OC from 3.75GHz) and an Asus Rog Matrix R9 290X 4G.

Running every game at least with 60 FPS (up to 75 and 120, depending on the monitore) and using my CPU for PhysiX mechanics/renderings, since AMD has no way to obtain the technologies of Nvidia (copyright and such).

They won't offer their service to AMD.

Anything else, about, HDD should be rather easy to suggest: Seagate or Samsung. Samsung has a great performance peak.

Using a Samsung SSD 850 EVO. Booting up from bios to desktop within 3 seconds.

Regular 1TB HDD: Western Digital WD Green with 5400 rpm. Fast and powersaving.

Edit: for a proper counterpart:

http://www.sysprofile.de/id188977 (declarations might be in german, but shouldn't be that of a hard challenge to "decipher" it.)

I am totally fine with my 1200€ rig. Will run games and my game-servers within the next 5-10 years, without upgrading anything.

"Facepalm", aha. You read the "GREEN" declaration at it, right? Powersaving methodes are for you like "fck it, who needs to think about such things". Oh geez.

And the GPU:

Kind of blind, as it seems like.

Go for the WD Green, trust me.

totally agreeing with the WD green. using it myself and the main processes caching rendering loading overall will be done on RAM not on the secondary hard drive. people having no clue about the windows OS and "facepalming" here because of for their opinion "sh*tty" hard drive?

cynics.

Wow guys, thank you for all these answers. I have to say that I'm not an expert in this "topic" so I'll have to stick to your suggestions. 

That said: I've been thinking myself about buying a WD Green but I am still hesitant about the GPU. Can you give me more clarifications, please? 

Wow guys, thank you for all these answers. I have to say that I'm not an expert in this "topic" so I'll have to stick to your suggestions.

That said: I've been thinking myself about buying a WD Green but I am still hesitant about the GPU. Can you give me more clarifications, please?

Don't get a green, they have the highest failure rate of all WD drives.

Black, or Scorpio Blue are your best bets. They are much more reliable and work better in general.

As for the card, gigabyte make a pretty nice 970. Look for the windforce model (with three fans)

The MSI version is also pretty good.

You can overvlock the thing and get similar performance to a stock 980, at a much lower price.

I would also recommend a ssd for your operating system, it speeds up boot times as well as normal operation of the pc. Given that you don't put much on it, a 120GB one should do nicely

As for the card, gigabyte make a pretty nice 970. Look for the windforce model (with three fans)

The MSI version is also pretty good.

You can overvlock the thing and get similar performance to a stock 980, at a much lower price.

I would also recommend a ssd for your operating system, it speeds up boot times as well as normal operation of the pc. Given that you don't put much on it, a 120GB one should do nicely

As the current owner of an MSI-made 970, I'm really happy with it.

I've talked trash about Nvidia's deceptive marketing of the product, but I can't deny that this card performs brilliantly. If you're looking to overclock it (I don't really mess around with overclocking myself), you'll probably want Gigabyte's windforce model.

My 2-fan MSI is super quiet, idle or loaded, and temps never get high on me - although the rest of my case setup probably does a lot to help keep it cool, so maybe take that bit with a grain of salt. Other MSI purchasers have complained about a bit of "coil whine" under load, but I haven't heard any whatsoever.

I'll also recommend an SSD, and 120GB is probably the sweet spot right now in terms of cost versus storage. I just upgraded from a 120GB Intel to a 500GB Samsung, and the only reason I did that is because I absolutely do need the extra space and convenience of all my important stuff on one partition. For backups and achival storage, big fat conventional disc drives suit me just fine.

Thank you both for answering. I didn't mention it, but I already have a small SSD (60GB), just for the OS and for other important things. In case, I will upgrade that too but, for now, it works for me.

Now, I didn't know about the high failure rate of the WD Green so I did some researches and I found some articles about it.

Regarding the Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce, I don't know, since I was planning to OC my i5-2500k, do you think that OCing also the GPU would be too much for a 650W PSU?

Right now I'd go for a WD Black because I want to be safer, and for a MSI GTX 970. 

If you tell me that a 650W is going to tolerate the OCs, then I'll go for a Gigabyte GTX 970 windforce.

You should be able to overclock on a 650W PSU, though I'd have to really see what your full build is to be sure.

Edit:

After doing a bit of research, a 650W PSU should be plenty to up the clocks on both.

Edited by Sixty5