Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Many People Are Still Using Dial Up?

DixieNormiss

Ping isn't the only factor. If the host has a bad upload bandwidth, that can ruin a mission as well.

Having a crappy comp doesn't help with hosting  either :|

Edited by Aggh

I honestly have no idea why they bothered putting the ping filter in.

Someone wanted it, they gave it to us. It is called good customer service and a good start.

After all, the developers have stated on multiple occasions that the want to find better solutions for this. =)

The way the ping filter seems to be working right now is actually awful customer service and a bad start. It appears to be filtering out not only who you join, but who can join you. It doesn't fix the low upstream/slow computer problem with hosting which seems to be a pretty big problem. It's as bad as it was before for me so the ping filter hasn't done anything really but make it so people who live far away or in poor connection areas can't play with anyone else.

How to solve this problem other companies and games?, I will say, not solve, and less when it is problem of user's Internet line is rubbish, and your PC does not have enough performace.

Ping filter is a little help.

If we had a filter data upload, for example 10MB, would it be enough?, Yes and no, for that would exist other factors, as mentioned above, performace.

Difficult solution if no dedicated servers, and that now, not the DEvelopers can afford.

Is there some setting I can use so that I know I'm never hosting (or limit my games to two people if I host?) I know for a fact that I don't fit optimal host criteria, and I'm pretty sure I've caused some sour missions due to not paying attention to whether I'm hosting or joining, since I get lag myself at times, I shudder to think what some other people get, lag-wise.

What would be a good solution?

Ideally if people know what their upload/download bandwidth is DE should be able to put in a setting that can utilize that to determine hosting. They also see what the system is when the game loads up and may be able to put a cpu limit for hosting as well. Obviously they still need to have a wide range of hosts, but perhaps these things would allow someone to host fewer than 4 other people and have a successful run rather than lagging everyone (I've seen in the past people who can have two connected with no problems, but the third kills it).

Ping limits is a great idea for connecting to someone else: meaning if I don't want to join anyone that has over 200ms ping I shouldn't have to, however that choice shouldn't prevent someone with over 200ms ping connecting to me if I'm the host.

Edited by plznohurtme

Yeah, that ping filter is completely useless.

It doesn't address either of the two big issues with bad hosts, namely:

- inadequate upstream bandwidth

- slow host machine.

I honestly have no idea why they bothered putting the ping filter in.

At least the people with good enough computers and connections can host matchmaking at will now. I think adding the ping filter was a very good change to make.

The ping option doesn't work for me. With set on 100ms max I still mostly join guys that seem to host from the moon.

Damn it!!!  That's Commander Wyeth on the ISS.  He said it would be okay if he only hosted every 90 minutes or so, while he was passing over Toronto.  We tried to tell him it wouldn't work....

I'll speak to Houston about this.

Damn it!!!  That's Commander Wyeth on the ISS.  He said it would be okay if he only hosted every 90 minutes or so, while he was passing over Toronto.  We tried to tell him it wouldn't work....

I'll speak to Houston about this.

Wait a damn second, I thought my tax dollars were making sure that thing was geostationary!