Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

During My Extended Absence, I Had A Thought About Lice (Off Topic)

Renegade343

So, while resting and catching up with a lot of old friends, there was a sudden thought that hit me: 

As some people might know, some people like to deliberately say "fried rice" as "fried lice". So, how many lice is needed to cook the equivalent of a dish of fried rice for one, which is around 150g of rice grains?

So, I went online to do some research, and while I cannot find the mass of a single lice from my research (and I have searched over an hour for that, including Wolfram Alpha, which came up with "Results not available".), I did find the size of a lice, which was said to be 2mm - 3mm, and roughly the same size of a sesame seed. I then went to search the mass of a sesame seed, and it weighs 0.0036g. 

Then, I managed to find that the mass of a grain of rice is around 0.016g - 0.020g (in which I will be taking the average of this range, and use 0.018g). That means for a dish of fried rice for one, there would be, on average: 

150g ÷ 0.018g per grain of rice = 8334 grains of rice.

Assuming that the mass of a sesame seed = mass of a lice, that means it takes: 

0.018g ÷ 0.0036g per lice = 5 lice to equal a grain of rice in mass

Which means in order to cook a dish of fried rice, but using lice instead of rice, we would need: 

5 * 8334 = 41,670 lice in order to cook the equivalent of a dish of friend rice for one (150g)

Have fun catching that many lice.

And if you are planning to cook fried lice, add some spice to cover up the very possible horrible taste.

This thread turned out to be so much better than I thought it would.

You may also want to take into account the wide range of sizes in which lice are found. For example, the common woodlice in my area grow to about .5 inches and might have a body mass similar to your typical grain of white long-grain rice.

I'll do my best to find the time for obtaining a sample to take accurate mass measurements, because I'm invested in this topic now.

Edit for Science!

Looking online yielded some good info, which is convenient because I can't go digging for pillbugs right now.

The species of woodlouse we're interested in is Armadillidium vulgare, which ranges in mass from 0.060 - 0.116g and grows to an adult length of 0.7 - 18mm.

Science-y Sauce

http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Armadillidium_vulgare/

Edited by notlamprey

This thread turned out to be so much better than I thought it would.

You may also want to take into account the wide range of sizes in which lice are found. For example, the common woodlice in my area grow to about .5 inches and might have a body mass similar to your typical grain of white long-grain rice.

I'll do my best to find the time for obtaining a sample to take accurate mass measurements, because I'm invested in this topic now.

Edit for Science!

Looking online yielded some good info, which is convenient because I can't go digging for pillbugs right now.

The species of woodlouse we're interested in is Armadillidium vulgare, which ranges in mass from 0.060 - 0.116g and grows to an adult length of 0.7 - 18mm.

Science-y Sauce

http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Armadillidium_vulgare/

The joke does (most of the time) use head/body lice as the element, which is lice that most people know about. 

Besides, it makes for a better joke overall; it produces a rather ridiculous number. Or actually, a ridiculous number and an even more ridiculous scenario.

Edited by Renegade343