Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guides Of The Lotus ~ Program Launch Replies (Split From Original Faq)

LordOda

Question

they just need people to fill out a DE lotus of the guide application,and let tem review it and make a choice based off stats and availibility

Except stats are not the real trait we are after.

We are after players who capture the essence of "Tenno-ship". Helpful, skillful, and knowledgeable. 

Ones who fall within our Code of Conduct, are trustworthy, and genuine. 

Filling out an application with the only concrete information being your profile stats isn't the sort of promotion that should be expressed. Frankly, we don't care if you pumped 5000 hours into the game, leveled and forma'd every weapon, and your completion rate for missions is 99%.

If you aren't helpful and generally a good natured person, a Guide of the Lotus is you not. An application process is too far impersonal compared to the incredibly outgoing nature of this program's goal.

We are after players who capture the essence of "Tenno-ship". Helpful, skillful, and knowledgeable. 

Filling out an application with the only concrete information being your profile stats isn't the sort of promotion that should be expressed. Frankly, we don't care if you pumped 5000 hours into the game, leveled and forma'd every weapon, and your completion rate for missions is 99%.

If you aren't helpful and generally a good natured person, a Guide of the Lotus is you not. An application process is too far impersonal compared to the incredibly outgoing nature of this program's goal.

thats what i was implying tenno....but with a way we could apply. because thats me

Edited by (PS4)karpomusick

Completely agree with this statement, funnily enough it's sometimes the little experienced guys that offer the most help

TBH, making forum participation a requirement is far from a reasonable requirement. Many skilled players I know avoid these forums like the plague due to how quick people are around here to jump you on most topics. While I enjoy the majority of the community and its usually a very helpful one, this program in particular feels poorly implemented and limited. The game should let a player know where to go and what to do from the start, and not require prerequisite knowledge to get a jump-start. Furthermore, if a newbie were to ask a question in region chat, I and many others in the community would step forward to help before even thinking to refer them to this program. Coupled with the fact that this program is barely known, advertised and lacks a sponsorship or application process further compounds these issues into making it one of nothing but "I have a special sigil" and not much else. On not having an application process, this game also lacks the ability to give someone a +1 to a reputation counter which is present in games like FF14. This kind of thing would be a good indicator of whether or not a player is helpful based on community feedback from their past experiences (this counter also provides special exclusive cosmetic gear in FF14). But since we lack such a thing, we are just hoping that the forums will suffice (not the brightest option).

The concept of this program is a smart one and a bold move, the intention is definitely in the right place but it severely lacks in its execution and since this is a game, is a self-defeating program. Instead of this, the game should try to give more incentive for players to be helpful as well as telling newer players what to do or how to get properly started. This game has a bad reputation for being unfriendly to newbies. DE should perhaps focus efforts on that first before implementing this kind of program. Alas, its not my position to make any call obviously. I'm just another player. But I can see exactly why this program is a waste of resources so-to-speak.

Edited by Heaven_Smile

TBH, making forum participation a requirement is far from a reasonable requirement. Many skilled players I know avoid these forums like the plague due to how quick people are around here to jump you on most topics. While I enjoy the majority of the community and its usually a very helpful one, this program in particular feels poorly implemented and limited. The game should let a player know where to go and what to do from the start, and not require prerequisite knowledge to get a jump-start. Furthermore, if a newbie were to ask a question in region chat, I and many others in the community would step forward to help before even thinking to refer them to this program. Coupled with the fact that this program is barely known, advertised and lacks a sponsorship or application process further compounds these issues into making it one of nothing but "I have a special sigil" and not much else. On not having an application process, this game also lacks the ability to give someone a +1 to a reputation counter which is present in games like FF14. This kind of thing would be a good indicator of whether or not a player is helpful based on community feedback from their past experiences (this counter also provides special exclusive cosmetic gear in FF14). But since we lack such a thing, we are just hoping that the forums will suffice (not the brightest option).

The concept of this program is a smart one and a bold move, the intention is definitely in the right place but it severely lacks in its execution and since this is a game, is a self-defeating program. Instead of this, the game should try to give more incentive for players to be helpful as well as telling newer players what to do or how to get properly started. This game has a bad reputation for being unfriendly to newbies. DE should perhaps focus efforts on that first before implementing this kind of program. Alas, its not my position to make any call obviously. I'm just another player. But I can see exactly why this program is a waste of resources so-to-speak.

Im not sure exactly what you are expecting from a program this far in its infancy at this time, but it will continue to grow and add more features/QoL as time goes on. Resources are limited and there is a lot to be done but limited time and man power to do them.

Forum participation is just one of the things we look at, it wont exactly bar potential people from the program

Forum participation is not 100% mandated, not entirely. The real reason for the requirement is to ensure the person is up to date with the latest content and information regarding the game. Most of the latest information spawns from the forums.

I can't argue with that the game should provide a more solid starting ground. But too much need for in-game tutorials becomes a major turn off for newer players as well. Most new players seem to enjoy the game, they just aren't quite sure about one specific thing, and need clarification.

Regarding others helping out the newer players, so do trolls trick these newer players. This is a topic that had been addressed earlier on in this topic. Sure, there are players who help others, and all the more power to them. But how is a player able to determine what reply is the real reply from the mass of troll replies and misinformation? All too often I see wrong information given to someone looking for help, whether intentional or not. This program ensures the answer the player receives is accurate, or attempts to do so.

You may or may not have heard of the Tenno Chronicler sigil. I could just brush off the severity of players with that sigil and say "It's for wikia guys". But what do these wikia guys do? They are administrators in the Warframe Wikia. They maintain, contribute, moderate, protect, correct, and advance the conglomeration of knowledge of information that is the essence of a wikia. They are who you are to thank for such an expansive and helpful wikia that I'm sure you have visited for information at one time or another.

Now, you've heard of the Guides of the Lotus Sigil. These are players who just help people out, yeah?

Sure, but no. Guides of the Lotus do more than simply answer questions in the chats. These players, should they be Senior Guides, have chat moderation powers, who keep these chats in line, friendly, and appropriate. They maintain a healthy atmosphere for all players. Player concerns and issues are also addressed to DE when necessary, further contributing and assisting all players.

This is simply something a normal player cannot do, and marks the difference of it just being just another player with a unique sigil.

I'm sorry. But were I asked to judge the helpfulness of a player based on incredibly subjective 'reputation' points, where a player begins to farm new players for rewards, I'm not sure I'd want to take part anymore. The point is that this is volunteer. You aren't rewarded for your efforts. Every Guide here is genuine in the knowledge, approachability, and helpfulness. There isn't a sly reward Seeker staking his claim, as I'm sure would happen with some sort of reward system based on points.

How hard would it be to boost my buddy, or the troll because he's funny? I would guess not hard at all.

I can't argue with that the game should provide a more solid starting ground. But too much need for in-game tutorials becomes a major turn off for newer players as well. Most new players seem to enjoy the game, they just aren't quite sure about one specific thing, and need clarification.

I've never heard of a game being a turnoff when it has tutorials. Too many? Perhaps. But needed ones? Not really. If there is too many basics to cover in this game beyond in game play but also inventory management, warframe and weapon slots, catalysts and reactors, the list goes on: perhaps a concise tutorial would be in order. Even an in-game Starter's Guide wouldn't be so bad if it was brought to the player's attention. But I've never heard of a game with too many tutorials, let alone one having more than 1 tutorial being considered a "turn off". To each his own I suppose. On top of that, most newbies ask way more than just one or two questions as well. Its a huge-array of what-ifs and how-whatsits and the list goes on. Stuff that needs better addressing in game. Sure, the game shouldn't hold your hand forever, but the tutorial doesn't provide enough info imo.

Perhaps forum participation isn't a "requirement" but I'm sure its a big enough plus that it might as well be one. Either way, its not a good point as forums tend to bring out the worst in people.

Then you bring up some irrelevant sigil as though that's some sort of beef with the program? I don't get where you are going on about here. I'm stating that the sigil is about the largest impact that this program has atm. It has nothing to do with irrelevant diatribes about other sigil's for wiki editors and admins. Please keep this on point.

-snip-

I'm sorry. But were I asked to judge the helpfulness of a player based on incredibly subjective 'reputation' points, where a player begins to farm new players for rewards, I'm not sure I'd want to take part anymore. The point is that this is volunteer. You aren't rewarded for your efforts. Every Guide here is genuine in the knowledge, approachability, and helpfulness. There isn't a sly reward Seeker staking his claim, as I'm sure would happen with some sort of reward system based on points.

How hard would it be to boost my buddy, or the troll because he's funny? I would guess not hard at all.

Thing is, such reputation systems are put in place where the only people capable of giving you a +1 are randoms in public matches only. Anyone that you formed a party with or have on your friend's list can't contribute. I shouldn't have to really explain that part as it should go without saying if you are an avid gamer, but I guess making assumptions isn't good either. Another point is that these systems aren't farmable or boostable, and the rewards are usually purely cosmetic as a statement of your in-game "renown" more than anything. That has nothing to do with this program, it was a point about how being a good person and doing your best in PUGs can be rewarded and reinforced. You are missing the point again.

Regardless, its kinda telling how quick moderators here are to jump up and defend the project when valid criticisms are leveled. The rest of this thread can attest to that. Kinda proved my point about why a lot of people avoid the forums.

Point is: This program seems like a pointless one as the game should be doing the job just fine. If its not, then DE should be focusing on fixing it. Will it take time and work and resources? Yes. It will. But as a newbie back during U14, I was just as equally lost even with a tutorial. If I didn't have friends who had recommended the game to me in the first place, I would have never known what to do or where to go. That should mean more about the game then about a need for a volunteer program. Just saying. That's a valid criticism that keeps getting put off as though its the least relevant point when, in fact, its the most relevant. I love DE, I love this community and I definitely love Warframe. I only want the best for it. And one of the major places that this game is lacking is in its ability to get new players up to speed. That's a game problem that needs in-game re-addressing. As far as those one or two one-off questions, most newbies ask in Region chat and are given either straight-forward answers or linked to relevant wiki-content.

Edited by Heaven_Smile

Regardless, its kinda telling how quick moderators here are to jump up and defend the project when valid criticisms are leveled. The rest of this thread can attest to that. Kinda proved my point about why a lot of people avoid the forums.

Community moderators are Guides of the Lotus by default -- it's not surprising that Devoid is trying to talk to you about a program that they're actually participate in.

Community moderators are Guides of the Lotus by default -- it's not surprising that Devoid is trying to talk to you about a program that they're actually participate in.

No, but it is being highly defensive about it. It was more a criticism of the program taking up an issue that needs, imo, in-game fixing rather than the program itself being terrible followed by poor execution.

Edited by Heaven_Smile

Then you bring up some irrelevant sigil as though that's some sort of beef with the program? I don't get where you are going on about here. I'm stating that the sigil is about the largest impact that this program has atm. It has nothing to do with irrelevant diatribes about other sigil's for wiki editors and admins. Please keep this on point.

Thing is, such reputation systems are put in place where the only people capable of giving you a +1 are randoms in public matches only. Anyone that you formed a party with or have on your friend's list can't contribute. I shouldn't have to really explain that part as it should go without saying if you are an avid gamer, but I guess making assumptions isn't good either. Another point is that these systems aren't farmable or boostable, and the rewards are usually purely cosmetic as a statement of your in-game "renown" more than anything. That has nothing to do with this program, it was a point about how being a good person and doing your best in PUGs can be rewarded and reinforced. You are missing the point again.

The wikia sigil is a parallel to the Guides of the Lotus sigil. I think you entirely missed that point. You said the only addition this program gave was a sigil, and I told you it was not.

If this reputation system has nothing to do with this program, then why bring it up? To me, it seemed as if you were out to believe this was a better replacement to individual Senior Guide and DE scrutiny of a player's capability. If that's entirely off topic, I'm not sure the point in its inclusion. This isn't the location to discuss your opinions on entire replacements to the program. That's better suited to the feedback forum. This is an information thread, suited to giving opinions and criticism on the program itself.

I am a Senior Guide, so, yes, I will respond to this topic. I know more about this program than you yourself, as I am at its heart, and can provide factual information instead of conjecture.

No, but it is being highly defensive about it. It was more a criticism of the program taking up an issue that needs, imo, in-game fixing rather than the program itself being terrible followed by poor execution.

Even then, it's ultimately irrelevant. Lots of games have player-assistance programs like this. Lots. Some of them have really good tutorials. Some of them don't. Some have wikis, and youtube channels, and tons of other outside information sources. Some don't. Player-assistance programs aren't new, but they're proven to work. If they didn't, I doubt you'd have high-profile companies like Blizzard or Riot making use of them.

Could Warframe's in-game tutorials and information sources be better? Absolutely. There's always room for improvement. But is it ever going to completely replace the ability to ask another player for advice? Definitely not.

I mean, we have a Players-Helping-Players section on the forums. This is just an extension of that.

Well we were trying to explain to you what is actually going on, since you know, you posted in the our FAQ, so we are trying to answer you. But your welcome to have your own feelings and opinions on the GOTL. Your thoughts have been noted.