Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let Us Talk About How Broken The English Language Is.

VivaNyanCat

Not only for foreign, this language is broken for everybody. Here is one of many other examples, you can say you "love" a certain type of food, and then say you "love" your wife. That would basically mean you love food as much as your wife. And yes, I am aware that this is figurative speech, but let us just talk about the English Language itself.

Well at least we're not writing in scribbles, like Chinese or Arabic. English slang is the most toxic thing I've ever encountered. Using vocabulary words and turning them into insults or swear words, or even code for them, is absolutely headache-inducing... I wish I lived in the early 90's.

Edited by APBladeX

For foreign speakers only though.

Not really, though. English is pretty broken in fact.

It only seems "not broken" to native english speakers because that's is what they were raised with. (this could go for any language, really.)

One of my favorite englishisms is the word "awefull".

"Awe" suprise or wonder.

"Full" not empty.

"Awe+full" something bad or unpleasant.

Like, what the f*ck english.

Edited by Actriaz

It only seems "not broken" to native english speakers because that's is what they were raised with. (this could go for any language, really.)

"Awe" suprise or wonder.

"Full" not empty.

That's what I meant.

"Awe" suprise or wonder.

"Full" not empty.

Also it is awful, not awefull, I have never heard someone said Awe when they are surprised.

"Awe" suprise or wonder.

"Full" not empty.

awe
noun
noun: awe
a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder.
"they gazed in awe at the small mountain of diamonds"

-ful
suffix
suffix: -ful
(forming adjectives from nouns) full of.
"sorrowful"

awful

adjective
adjective: awful"

used to emphasize the extent of something, especially something unpleasant or negative.

"I've made an awful fool of myself"

Ergo, it seems right to me.

Edited by Dualstar

English is crazy because it has had hundreds of years of being mixed.  It takes it's name from the Angles which are pretty much interchangeable with the Saxons but not quite so you'll get some regional variation depending on just where they lie on the Anglo-saxon spread.  Then there's some viking/scandinavian mixed in and some pictish and celtic (both p-celt and q-celt) and scot (yes, this is a separate thing from pict or either celt.  Seriously, how did a few small islands develop so many small communities with their own languages?).  After that all got mixed for a while there was in injection of latin into the ruling classes followed by a resurgence of the old languages and then a norman invasion that brought scandinavian language back but filtered through french and at some point in there germanic languages were involved too.  So in summary, english is the combination of the scandinavian, germanic, romantic and celtic languages.  This makes it both easy and difficult to learn for europeans as they can find some similarities yet many variances from what they already know.  Many rules of the language are contradictory or have numerous exceptions as words are taken from many sources.  This is all without even going into the regional variations that have occurred with English according to USA, Canada, Australia & New Zealand*.

*I apologise if you live in another country that speaks it's own variation of english but I didn't think of it.  Geography was my second worst subject at school after history.

You guys think that English is difficult? I agree but how about you guys try.

Finnish. Pretty much every word what is recorded as substantive may have at least 60 forms of the word. Not only that. We are using more consonants and the language is most monotone what you will ever hear.

Do you want to learn speak Finnish? Because that my ladies and gentlemen. Is one of the most difficult languages in the world.

Have fun! >:D