Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would There Be An Increase Or Decrease In The Percentage Of Jerks In An Apocalyptic Society?

RoflsMazoy

So recently I was reading a manga with the 'giant monster apocalypse with kid still in high school as the main character' kind of setting when I came up with this question. There were all these guys being jerks on multiple occasions and it got me thinking, would jerk population density increase or decrease during an apocalypse?

They'd definitely increase post-apocalypse because all the nice people are dead and the best way to live after an apocalypse is for yourself.

Pre-apocalypse, you'd think the jerk population would probably stay how it is because on the one hand there'll be people all like 'the world is ending so let's all be nice to each other' but there'd also be people like 'the world is ending so let's do whatever we want'/

So the way it would probably go is pre-apocalypse would start level, during the apocalypse it would rise, and after the apocalypse it'd probably peak.

Edited by (PS4)IIIDevoidIII
Language

It would decrease but generally rise. From everything I've been exposed to regarding this subject, it seems that in an event of an apocalypse, a sense of society remains with the individuals who were always part of one. In an apocalyptic setting the sense of society becomes a last hope of sorts, people will meet, they will team, they will create their own little societies to make sure they survive.

Then as things start to become more comfortable for everyone, as in people think they can now survive anything and are somehow above the non survivors or especially the people they share a society with, their sense of society begins to deteriorate. Anger, resentment, envy, etc.

Pretty soon things like rebellion begin to occur, society completely diminishes, and everyone has gone mad. At that point it's dog eat dog, every man for himself, enslave, murder, pillage, or anything much much worse.

Edited by LazerSkink

In societal studies, the evil bugger or sociopath character will increase in frequency as conditions that demean or belittle societal individuals increase. A post apocalyptic situation would work for that the same as an economy collapse or a turn in fortunes against a group in the society. The problem for the society exists as the groups can not survive when sociopaths become greater in the society than the more good natured non sociopaths. Also problematic is that a sociopath in general tends to gravitate to social positions of power over others reinforced by the rules of the society - rules the sociopath believes themselves above or beyond.

Their is a survival point for such behavior, the 'out for number one' behavior at least tries to ensure that the individual survives to pass on their genes in a non-societal or rejected by society situation. The problem exits because after a while, this behavior becomes reinforced by the cruelty or detached emotional nature of the sociopath to effect future generations thus coming into the nature of infectious behavior feeding into conditioning more to be sociopaths or present sociopathic behavior. Since a sociopath will by nature only look out for itself and what it considers its property, the society will crumble or move towards collapse when such citizens outnumber the societal minded.

Without rules, some people would rather tend to survive at the cost of others. Sure, people would start form groups very fast, as that's what humanity is best in, but because of the limited resources, the Apocalypse left behind those Groups would probably fight over them.

So I think there would be an increase of evil doings.

I'd love to say people will group together and try their best to survive but honestly I feel like enough people would become monsters when rules are lax that it would change the overall societal norms.

On a tiny scale take a look at how people act in large crowds like at festivals, the most common thing I've seen personally is people relieving themselves wherever they want, in their tents, in beer cans, on the floor in the middle of the crowd and of course the classic on the edge of the toilet seat shared by 100,000 other people. There are worse things I've seen but that's the most common.

Edited by YourFriendlyNoggin

In an apocalypse, I reckon there would be both and nothing in between. People would either want to form groups for survival (non jerks), or go for the gotta look out for themselves only (jerks) the jerks would likely form smaller groups based on raiding. Where in contrast the non jerks would likely form groups and try farming and other things to make life better for the group.