Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PvP that makes sense.

eelektrik

I know there have already been plenty of topics on whether the game needs, or even should have PvP at all, and that the devs currently have no plans for it. Doesn't mean they could not add it later though. I for one don't think the game 'needs' PvP, as I like the objective-based co-op mission gameplay just fine, but I also know there is a broader audience out there that wants some form of competitive gameplay.

Most of the time people are thinking inside the typical PvP box though, your usual deathmatch, capture the flag, or even MOBA style gameplay that I don't think really suits Warframe. So how about something other than Tenno fighting other Tenno? The three examples that come to mind are Perfect Dark's counter-op mode, Left 4 Dead's versus mode, and things like Lord of the Rings Online's monster play. Keep the objective-based mission nature intact, but allow the option of doing a competitive mission against randomly matchmade players playing as Grineer, Corpus, or Infested. Likely a 4 on 4 mode, though those playing as the enemy would have AI fighting alongside them and still be weaker than the average Tenno and would have to use different strategies to win.

This sort of competitive play to me makes sense within the gameplay and context of Warframe far more so than your typical forms of PvP. It also would be something that would take longer to develop than slapping in a half-assed deathmatch mode but the benefits are greater. It would still bring in additional new players who are interested in competitive gametypes. It would provide an alternate means of rewards than the current alert missions and boss farming. It also opens up new cash shop options for new sources of revenue by letting players play as something other than Tenno, even if its simpler things like alternate skins for their enemy faction player models for those that want to stand out from the AI.

Just some food for thought.

You forgot Dark Souls' Invasion mode :P

Rogue Tenno bosses, interesting idea. I got a better one I think {or possibly a disastrous one}, how about Dark Souls style invasions?

Here's how it works: You're with your team going on about your mission, suddenly a rogue Tenno appears somewhere on the same ship and he/she is after your team. He doesn't get to revive and his mission is to help the Grineer or Corpus in fighting your team, some kind of a mercenary. It's basically dynamic PVP events, either "random and intrusive" just like in Dark Souls or optional {both sides get to tick a checkbox in mission screen to opt for the event, either to receive invasions or to invade}, either way it might work. Of course the matchmaking would have to be strict about it so there's no ganking on low level players.

What do you think?

Thanks for another PvP suggestion, but no thanks. There's plenty of PvP games around, feel free to browse.

I'm happy to see an only PvE game.

Like I said, I actually enjoy it as a PvE only game. But I also want to be able to continue to enjoy that PvE for as long as possible. Expanding the player base and providing alternate sources of revenue would extend the life of the game and no one would force you to play the competitive game if you don't want to.

Edited by eelektrik

I think it might be fun to play as Grineer or Corpus. I can't recall the game off the top of my head, but there was another with plans that people could enter a game and become the enemy soldiers which might randomly increase the difficulty going up against real players instead of AI of the same units. Although I think that didn't blow over well in that particular game, but an interesting premise to join a game as something other than Tenno or a spectator, and it wouldn't technically boost the enemies abilities any more than standard (could still get mowed down with headshots or upgraded weapons/abilities like usual).

Another example would be Infestation and doing something similar to other zombie games where you play as the zombies themselves. Not that there are a huge number of types with varied abilities like L4D or other valve game mods, but an idea!

No.

The only way i can see this game having a PvP system without having too balance too much and damage the PvE is if they made a timer on the levels so that people can see who can beat it the quickest, and even though since the levels are randomly generated it wouldn't work. only in Exterminate missions.

Right now if people want to compete it gotta be PvE related.

"Who can beat a boss the quickest."

"Highest kill score."

"Highest level."

and they allready have that skill thingy on our profiles that people can compete about. People have plenty of PvP opportunities outside the Player shooting at another player strat.

No.

The only way i can see this game having a PvP system without having too balance too much and damage the PvE is if they made a timer on the levels so that people can see who can beat it the quickest, and even though since the levels are randomly generated it wouldn't work. only in Exterminate missions.

Right now if people want to compete it gotta be PvE related.

"Who can beat a boss the quickest."

"Highest kill score."

"Highest level."

and they allready have that skill thingy on our profiles that people can compete about. People have plenty of PvP opportunities outside the Player shooting at another player strat.

But what I was suggesting, the PvP is fundamentally still based on the same style of gameplay as the PvE and would not require drastic balance changes like you imagine. Some yes, but not nearly as much as it would take to make any form of Tenno vs Tenno gameplay close to being fun. You would still be fighting the same types of enemies, only some of them would be player controlled and actually try and use better strategy to sneak up or flank you.

But what I was suggesting, the PvP is fundamentally still based on the same style of gameplay as the PvE and would not require drastic balance changes like you imagine. Some yes, but not nearly as much as it would take to make any form of Tenno vs Tenno gameplay close to being fun. You would still be fighting the same types of enemies, only some of them would be player controlled and actually try and use better strategy to sneak up or flank you.

Mind if i make a question?

Why do you feel the need force PvP into every game? No matter how many reasons you get (by you i mean every1 who tries to force PvP on us) the answer is always.

"i get it, but how cool would it be to have PvP". <--- So you don't get it.

I'm even more surprised that players know that this is a PvE game, was developed as 1, was advertised one, with possible duels.

Yet ppl come in here and demand the PvP, why? Obviously not for the community, since we came here for the PvE aspect.

So let me ask you again: Why you feel the need to force PvP into every game?

Mind if i make a question?

Why do you feel the need force PvP into every game? No matter how many reasons you get (by you i mean every1 who tries to force PvP on us) the answer is always.

"i get it, but how cool would it be to have PvP". <--- So you don't get it.

I'm even more surprised that players know that this is a PvE game, was developed as 1, was advertised one, with possible duels.

Yet ppl come in here and demand the PvP, why? Obviously not for the community, since we came here for the PvE aspect.

So let me ask you again: Why you feel the need to force PvP into every game?

You obviously have not read a single thing I have posted, so stop right there, go back and do that. You can't have a valid debate while ignoring the other side of the argument completely and putting words in their mouth, especially when you deal in absolutes by wording your statements with such a broad inclusion of every single person who is interested in seeing some form of PvP added. Not everyone is asking for it for the same reasons, and not all of them think the same way.

But to answer your misguided question, I don't feel the need to force PvP in to every game.

I do feel the need to suggest it in styles and situations that make sense and would benefit the product. In the case of free to play games, they live and die by their player base and if you stubbornly restrict that audience and not consider alternate revenue paths, you aren't thinking about the longevity of your product.

But to answer your misguided question, I don't feel the need to force PvP in to every game.

I do feel the need to suggest it in styles and situations that make sense and would benefit the product.

Aham.

It was also explained way too many times why it wouldn't benefit, instead it would harm it. But I'm sure you already did read all of those posts, since you suggested me to do the same with such passion.

Edited by Sikab