Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Windows 10 Worth It?

Lord-Taco-the-Great

No you cannot turn off all the privacy-invading features.  They are silently re-enabled without your permission or consent, usually anytime you install a Windows Update.  Microsoft's EULA, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use grant them any and all permission to know anything you ever do on that computer forever until the end of time.  Usernames, passwords, anything sensitive?  LOL.

Even IF you only ever use it for gaming, you are still a fool for supporting that kind of thing and allowing yourself to be spied on that way.  That is like letting a random person in the street look over your shoulder 24/7 whenever you are on your computer.

Speaking of Windows Updates, remember all those updates last year that messed up PCs?  Now you get to be a guinea pig alpha patch tester for MicroSoft whether you like it or not!  Unless you get Windows 10 Enterprise you have NO option to disable the mandatory forced always-on auto updates!

The only options you get are to 'automatically restart' even if you're in the middle of something (don't you love companies that take away control from a computer you purchased and own?) or to 'ask before restart' and then restart anyways regardless of what you click.

Windows 10 has no performance benefit for gaming.  None.  Zero.  Whomever says otherwise is a liar, crook, ignorant, or a victim of the placebo effect.  Actual apples to apples benchmarks shows equal or LOWER performance by about 10% or so.  It is not worth the other hassles.

Windows 10 offers nothing for most people that Windows 7 didn't already do years ago.  In fact, by forcing control away from the user, you are far less likely to be able to diagnose and troubleshoot/prevent issues.  You are at the continued mercy of a company that laid off 90% of their tech support in favor of outsourcing it.

Good luck with that.

You know the saying, you get what you (didnt) pay for.

Edited by JCDenton007

Just upgraded a second time after i heard they released a bug patch. Still unstable and buggy... I'd wait a while if i were you.

And i still dont see anything better than windows 7. Only maybe the new look. Just wait til they add new features.

No you cannot turn off all the privacy-invading features.  They are silently re-enabled without your permission or consent, usually anytime you install a Windows Update.  Microsoft's EULA, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use grant them any and all permission to know anything you ever do on that computer forever until the end of time.  Usernames, passwords, anything sensitive?  LOL.

-snip-

Funny because all of that is on the EULA that google chrome uses.

Also it seems Micro$oft knows windows 10 is likely to fail and is exclusively releasing it's first party AAA Xbone titles on it to try and lure gamers, windows vista much? Halo wars 2, Gears 1 remaster and another Gears game (unannounced but confirmed) are windows 10 exclusive (for PC).

Also while we are at it, why are there 4k screenshots of Halo 5? something tells me a PC version is in development: http://wccftech.com/check-amazing-full-quad-hd-screenshots-halo-5-guardians-campaign-mode/

It seems to me microsoft are doing whatever they can to stay relevant and afloat in todays day and age.

Just upgraded a second time after i heard they released a bug patch. Still unstable and buggy... I'd wait a while if i were you.

And i still dont see anything better than windows 7. Only maybe the new look. Just wait til they add new features.

The looks are subjective though. I personally dislike how W8 and W10 looks. So for me, there's absolutely no reason to get W10.