The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Upgraded To Windows 10, Warframe Crashes Randomly

WereMagi

Since moving from Windows 8 to Windows 10, I have encountered the issue of Evolution Engine randomly crashing. A few moments of launching the game from the launcher, and then it crashes, freezing the game and then the little error window that tells me that the program has stopped responding pops up. The Warframe Crash Reporter doesn't show up either, so don't ask me what that says. This happens about 10 - 15 minutes in after game launches.

I run the game through Steam primarily and I didn't do a clean install of Windows 10 but kept my data from Windows 8 because I didn't feel like reinstalling all my games again and then go through the process of setting up my Skyrim and Oblivion Mods all over again and tweaking everything... 

The steps I have taken are:

- I have verified and optimized through the launcher. It crashed about 10-13 minutes in. 

- I have reinstalled through Steam. This worked last night before 17.0.5 (I say last night due to being in the Eastern Side of Australia.) but has since failed after 17.0.5. Didn't last as long as the first step second time around. This step repeated yesterday and now today.

- I have uninstalled it again and tried the DRM-Free download. Crashed about 8 minutes in as I complain to my clan that I can't be their awesome Warlord due to crashes.

- Verify and Optimized again... still crashes.

At this stage... I dunno. I seemed to have lost my restore points so I can't really roll back to Windows 8 if it's possible, but it's frustrating that I can't farm resources I once thought I never had to farm until I made the mistake of upgrading my clan to Mountain BEFORE U17 hit while my boosters waste away...

Anyone else with this issue? With some solution for me to take?

Oh, and before anyone asks, it ain't the hardware or drivers. Hardware ran the game perfectly fine on near Max settings (I turned some down so that they didn't hurt my eyes as much when I played late at night/early morning) prior and first thing I did was check all my drivers for any updates moment I finished settings up Windows 10. I also cleaned the case of dust. 

Both Win10 and Warframe are still technically beta.

Makes my wonder why did people rush to get Win10, it's not like they cut off your testicles if you don't upgrade...

Because it's alot better than 7 and 8, Imo.

Since moving from Windows 8 to Windows 10, I have encountered the issue of Evolution Engine randomly crashing. A few moments of launching the game from the launcher, and then it crashes, freezing the game and then the little error window that tells me that the program has stopped responding pops up. The Warframe Crash Reporter doesn't show up either, so don't ask me what that says. This happens about 10 - 15 minutes in after game launches.

I run the game through Steam primarily and I didn't do a clean install of Windows 10 but kept my data from Windows 8 because I didn't feel like reinstalling all my games again and then go through the process of setting up my Skyrim and Oblivion Mods all over again and tweaking everything... 

The steps I have taken are:

- I have verified and optimized through the launcher. It crashed about 10-13 minutes in. 

- I have reinstalled through Steam. This worked last night before 17.0.5 (I say last night due to being in the Eastern Side of Australia.) but has since failed after 17.0.5. Didn't last as long as the first step second time around. This step repeated yesterday and now today.

- I have uninstalled it again and tried the DRM-Free download. Crashed about 8 minutes in as I complain to my clan that I can't be their awesome Warlord due to crashes.

- Verify and Optimized again... still crashes.

At this stage... I dunno. I seemed to have lost my restore points so I can't really roll back to Windows 8 if it's possible, but it's frustrating that I can't farm resources I once thought I never had to farm until I made the mistake of upgrading my clan to Mountain BEFORE U17 hit while my boosters waste away...

Anyone else with this issue? With some solution for me to take?

Oh, and before anyone asks, it ain't the hardware or drivers. Hardware ran the game perfectly fine on near Max settings (I turned some down so that they didn't hurt my eyes as much when I played late at night/early morning) prior and first thing I did was check all my drivers for any updates moment I finished settings up Windows 10. I also cleaned the case of dust. 

I also upgraded to Win 10 without doing a clean Windows install, I've had zero issues with Windows 10 and Warframe.

Try going to - Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance\Reliability Monitor and see if you can narrow down what exactly is causing the crash, contact support and send them your EE.log and Dxdiag log files aswell.

Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

Edited by Kamachi

Both Win10 and Warframe are still technically beta.

Makes my wonder why did people rush to get Win10, it's not like they cut off your testicles if you don't upgrade...

Some features of 8 annoyed me, which they fix/removed in 10. 

Impulsed on the upgrade moment my notification told me I had the Get-Go.

No more apps not running on my desktop, hello Warframe Crash that will ruin my Sci-Fi FPS fix as I run around Heros & Generals with my normal human weapons fighting for my small scale human war with my fragile human body.

Edited by WereMagi

Having the same problem, though mine crashes after about 10 seconds into the launcher. All drivers and that are up-to-date (was playing other games no problem beforehand), so... yeah. 

Knew I should've bought the Prisma Tetra before I upgraded!

I'm not having any problem after upgrading to Win 10.  I don't use warframe in steam however.  I just have it loaded by itself on my PC.  Make sure you have all the up dates for Win 10 and make sure you have all the most resent updates for all your drives for your PC.

Hope this helps.  Plumb

Windows 10 is technically only available atm for office use, with barely any thought to gaming. A friend of mine couldn't play any of his game on 10, at all, because it wouldn't allow his graphics card to be used at full potential. It got fixed by windows update, but I still stand by to say that using a beta operating system is prone to problems.

I also upgraded to Win 10 without doing a clean Windows install, I've had zero issues with Windows 10 and Warframe.

Try going to - Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance\Reliability Monitor and see if you can narrow down what exactly is causing the crash, contact support and send them your EE.log and Dxdiag log files aswell.

Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

Only has time of crash, no real info really. 

Having the same problem, though mine crashes after about 10 seconds into the launcher. All drivers and that are up-to-date (was playing other games no problem beforehand), so... yeah. 

Knew I should've bought the Prisma Tetra before I upgraded!

Lucky for me, I have a great GF that collected for me after I can't get on... but did ruin our plans on farming since she goes away to camp tomorrow... Today.

I'm not having any problem after upgrading to Win 10.  I don't use warframe in steam however.  I just have it loaded by itself on my PC.  Make sure you have all the up dates for Win 10 and make sure you have all the most resent updates for all your drives for your PC.

Hope this helps.  Plumb

Sorted that out moment I could after booting into Windows 10 yesterday... 2 days ago.

Windows 10 is technically only available atm for office use, with barely any thought to gaming. A friend of mine couldn't play any of his game on 10, at all, because it wouldn't allow his graphics card to be used at full potential. It got fixed by windows update, but I still stand by to say that using a beta operating system is prone to problems.

I only went ahead since i knew from the IGDA Melbourne Facebook group where they discussed if they had development/gaming issues and no one mentioned problems with my games.

Some features of 8 annoyed me, which they fix/removed in 10.

The one thing that pissed me of in Win8 and 8.1 was their idiotic ModernUI, which I disabled with a single program named ClassicShell and never looked back at Win7 again. Because Win8 is pretty much lighter Win7 with tablet UI on top of it.

Because it's alot better than 7 and 8, Imo.

Elaborate.

The one gimmick Win10 has that makes me somewhat interested in it is DX12, because every other change either is repulsive (that damn start menu hybrid thingy) or couldn't make me care less about (Cortana). Of course, everything coupled with this system being as NSA friendly as it gets, but every Windows had such crap in its EULA/TOS.

Edited by Mofixil

The one thing that pissed me of in Win8 and 8.1 was their idiotic ModernUI, which I disabled with a single program named ClassicShell and never looked back at Win7 again. Because Win8 is pretty much lighter Win7 with tablet UI on top of it.

The fact that their lil apps didn't work on desktop. Like Skype and such. I loved how Chrome lets you toggle between desktop mode and the annoying app mode, but apart from that, everything took my entire screen and attention off the desktop and whatever I had going.

Right click the Evolution Engine error and click "View technical details"

Ah, now I see the magic. Gonna post support the logs after this.

Did you try setting it on DX10 or DX11 mode, do you use 64bit ? Fullscreen ?

DX10, 64bit, Windowed Fullscreen. I ain't gonna fix it if I don't think it ain't broken until otherwise noted with reason.

Ah, now I see the magic. Gonna post support the logs after this.

Feel free to post a screenshot of the "View Technical Details" box in my PM or here on the thread, I may be able to help if I see which file module is causing the crash. :)

Edited by Kamachi

The fact that their lil apps didn't work on desktop. Like Skype and such. I loved how Chrome lets you toggle between desktop mode and the annoying app mode, but apart from that, everything took my entire screen and attention off the desktop and whatever I had going.

Well, never had such issue with any of my software.

Feel free to post a screenshot of the "View Technical Details" box in my PM or here on the thread, I may be able to help if I see which file module is causing the crash. :)

I'll have to do it later. Gonna go to sleep, 1am and if I stay up longer, I'll easily wreck the sleep pattern that's almost 'normal'.

Problem details for Warframe.x64.exe, as requested.

Source

The Evolution Engine

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎8/‎08/‎2015 11:16 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Warframe.x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Warframe.x64.exe
Application Version: 2015.8.7.17
Application Timestamp: 55c51f84
Fault Module Name: StackHash_2264
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: PCH_84
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 2264
Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
Additional Information 3: 875f
Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 675e0454a6e9c9c3880dd80651a5007f (115998228229)

Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Warframe.x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Warframe.x64.exe
Application Version: 2015.8.7.17
Application Timestamp: 55c51f84

The StackHash error occurs when DEP is invoked and has an issue with whatever application you’re trying to run,

The error is related to Data Execution Prevention.

Try this...

1. Click on the Start menu and then go to the Control Panel.

2. Click on System & Security and then System.

3. Choose Advanced System Settings.

4. Under System Properties, select Settings from the Performance section at the top.

5. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.

6. Select “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.

7. Find the executable file for the application that triggered the error.

8. Select the application causing the error and click Open to add it to your DEP Exceptions list.

9. Click OK to save your new settings

Edited by Kamachi

The StackHash error occurs when DEP is invoked and has an issue with whatever application you’re trying to run,

The error is related to Data Execution Prevention.

Try this...

1. Click on the Start menu and then go to the Control Panel.

2. Click on System & Security and then System.

3. Choose Advanced System Settings.

4. Under System Properties, select Settings from the Performance section at the top.

5. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.

6. Select “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.

7. Find the executable file for the application that triggered the error.

8. Select the application causing the error and click Open to add it to your DEP Exceptions list.

9. Click OK to save your new settings

What Exe am I meant to add to this? The Warframe.x64.exe or the launcher EXE from the appdata? Cause I tried both and get these messages:

For Launcher.exe - "This program must run with data execution protection (DEP) enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program."

For Warframe.x64.exe - "You can not set DEP attributes on 64-bit executables."

I've been having the same issue. Actually, its EXACTLY the same. everything looks exactly as yours does for the StackHash_2264 issue. However, I had just finished resetting my computer, so I'm hoping that it will fix the issue.

Please do tell if it works!

I have just ran a quick capture mission, after reinstalling warframe and reconfiguring my options, and I haven't crashed at all. in fact, it seems to run better now than it has before. I get a standard of 40-60 FPS, which is 10 higher than what I used to get before Win 10. I did a near factory reset, which deleted over 90% of what I had on my computer, and then I immediately installed all the updates, and Win 10 after that completed.

Bah... I can't do a clean install... Well, I could but I have too much to back up then I would like to sift through. So many projects I need to back up...

I feared this having to do one, as there should be another way to fix this... 

I'll prepare for the reinstall, already got a USB installer set up from when I did the office laptop first.

Edited by WereMagi