Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Are Your Thoughts On Chinese Food?

(XBOX)MK Ultra K11

1. But that's too easy. It's like one of those shucksters who say they made one million dollars doing this and that and now you can too if you follow their system, but when you ask for their bank statements they make all kinds of excuses not to show you, citing privacy, personal information, etc.

It's the oldest trick in the book my friend. Not saying you are one of them, but maybe you shouldn't be using their methods.

2. Aha! You have not actually said that you are Chinese, were born in China and are a permanent resident there, because you phrased all of that as a rhetorical statement about the perils of revealing personal information online. That might not have been a real statement of identity. That might merely have been "an example". Sneaky sneaky. My answer to both possibilities is this: See point no. 1. 

3. How does misrepresenting an edible fungus as a worm, rooster testicles as some kind of staple and ordinary numbing spiciness as "paralyzing" make the food "look delicious", as you have said? "Look delicious" is what you said. You didn't say "make it appetizing for hype and adrenaline junkies and fans of Fear Factor". You said your embellishments make it "look delicious". Can you explain how that works? Do people generally equate worms, rooster testicles and paralyzing agents to exquisite taste?

4. Yes I know that is how you rationalize it to yourself, but I wanted to know something else. You've essentially admitted to telling lies to manipulate the perception of the readers for your own purposes. What I wanted to know is why should anybody trust you after you've admitted that, after being caught?

5. I said you misrepresented. I did not say you "misinterpreted". 

6. I'm not interested in claims that you do not intend to prove, but since I asked I will take it at face value. In addition, my condolences. If you were tricked, induced or coerced into eating chicken testicles against your will, that was definitely extremely abusive and I can see how it would create traumas. If you did it willingly... perhaps you could enlighten us about the value proposition apart from the novelty factor.

I would like to assure everybody here that if you don't want to eat rooster testicles with every meal to enjoy Chinese food then you do not have to.

7. It is true that all parts of the animal were eaten. There was simply not enough food for anybody, and if people restricted their protein to only the meat, more children would have died of kwasyiorkor than had already happened. Eating all parts of the animal is culture that began from survival. Why should you make a big deal out of it for people who've never had the necessity to do so? 

You know, I will make one exception this time, and do this final reply: 

Yes, because for one thing, to prove that, through the Internet, I am Chinese, is born in China, and is a permanent resident of China (which helps to assert my authority for this particular matter) (optionally, proof of me still living in China), I will be needing to provide my identity card, my birth certificate and my passport as some of the evidence, which I am sure as hell not going to do that due to potential identity theft, and you would be crazy if you start requesting that to be presented in the forums of all places in order to prove that. 

MaPo Tofu uses a spice that acts similar to the spice uses in this dish (sadly, there is no English Wiki page equivalent for this particular dish, but for the sake of clear communication, it will be called "Peppered fried chicken in Sichuan style"). Generally, in restaurants with English menus, they tend to call it just that (or slight variations of that name, or sometimes even removing the "Sichuan style" from it), omitting the fact that the peppered chicken's spice actually causes numbing spiciness when eaten, which makes it less unique to catch someone's fancy when wanting to try new foods. 

That is why I will describe MaPo Tofu as having a "paralysing spiciness" when trying to get foreigners interested in the food, because it has the balance of accuracy and perceived uniqueness when used to describe the dish, which can and has gotten some people I try to introduce the dish to wanting to try it. 

As I said, if stuff is best left untold, then I will be withholding the information unless asked or inferred to tell further about it. Yes, I know the lesson, "Always tell the truth.", but I find that telling the truth all the time is not going to fix everything; telling the truth can sometimes make a problem or conversation even worse than telling a white lie. Since I deem that particular food's origin best left untold unless asked or inferred to tell further about it, I will be telling people who want a quick answer that it is a worm. 

Because of this: 

Yes, although as I said, I am not going to provide proof due to the reasons mentioned in the answer to Question 1. As for the frequency of eating chicken testicles, once a week for two years, until I had a small health problem (again, not providing proof with my medical documents) and had to cut down on eating it. So, I would know quite a bit about eating it. 

Bit of history: 

China as a country is generally poor for most of its history, given the constant wars and such. That lead to many of its citizens having to eat just about everything from an animal or plant to sustain themselves, one of which is chicken testicles. Chicken testicles are eaten for food due to the aforementioned poverty, although at the time, which is around five centuries ago, it also has a main (sometimes arguably wider use than general eating) use in medicine, due to the old belief of "Like heals/fortifies like". For instance, if you want to maintain your eye health, you would, under that belief, start eating animal eyes. Thus, chicken testicles are eaten also for the belief that it will heal or fortify males' testicles. This continued on until now, although it is less common to see them being used for medicine and more for general eating. 

Now, I did try to search for English versions of records of chicken testicles being used and eaten as just food or medicine, but that came up with nothing. However, I can attest to at least one Chinese medical book that has written the effects of chicken testicles, and that is this book: Compendium of Materia Medica (or, for those that can read Chinese, 本草綱目), a compendium of the medical effects of various herbs and foodstuffs. I have read parts of the book, and saw that particular entry about chicken testicles, although I will have to find that book and dig through the pages to find the entry again. 

Edited by Coryphaus

Interesting side note. If you go to a Peruvian restaurant, some of them will have a Chinese portion on their menu. At first I thought this was strange, but then I learned it's because they have a lot of Chinese people there who went there historically like a long time ago or something.

Like there's this Peruvian restaurant in Chicago and they totally have a 'Chinese' section on their menu which is traditional food to them, but just not in the way you imagine Chinese food to be. it's weird and interesting, and pretty cool