Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny: Taken King Changes

TheErebus.

http://www.gamesradar.com/destiny-taken-king-dlc-review/

So yeah, Gamesradar posted this up and I found it interesting.

This is a collection of changes to be expected in the game upon purchasing the Taken King expansion:

The Taken King’s Dreadnaught brings plenty to explore

The Taken King expansion is jam packed with content. The new, high-level activities take place on Mars' moon Phobos, Mercury, and within a massive Hive Dreadnaught full of great halls to explore. The Dreadnaught acts as a new planet, giving Guardians more difficult Patrol challenges, environmental puzzles to solve, and hidden treasure tucked away in the nooks and crannies. There will be four Strikes on PlayStation, (three on Xbox), a massive raid mission, and a story campaign that has a greater emphasis on cinematic storytelling and character development.

There are a ton of new enemies

You won't be fighting the same Vex, Fallen, Cabal, and Hive enemies. Instead, you'll face the Taken: an army of the old enemy species, only they've been mutated and transformed by the Taken King, who’s given them ethereal qualities and remixed abilities. For example, the Taken version of the Hive Wizard can spawn groups of thrall-like minions to overwhelm your fireteam, forcing you to take it out as quickly as possible. There are also plenty of bosses to encounter, but don't count on them waiting for you at the end of a Strike; some of the game’s tougher enemies will appear in Patrols as well.

The Light leveling system is dead; the level cap is 40. Long live experience points

Grinding and grinding and grinding for that one piece of gear needed to hit max level is a thing of the past. At least, we hope. Until the Taken King, after you hit the max level of 20, you'd have to get better and better armor pieces by completing the game's more difficult challenges, raids, and strikes in order to increase your light level - which led to lots of grinding and even more frustration for some players. In The Taken King, players will progress from level one to 40 by gaining experience points, much like you would in any MMO or RPG. So, you could be a level 40 Titan wearing all rare class armor if you wanted to, but you'd definitely be much weaker without the superior stats of legendary or exotic equipment. 

(THIS ONE MADE ME SMILE IN GLEE, BECAUSE I HATE THE LIGHT LEVELLING SYSTEM. NOW I CAN EQUIP MY FAVORITE HELMET)

Old legendaries won't ascend to the new level cap

We have some fond memories of our time with our legendary hand cannon Fatebringer that we farmed out of the Vault of Glass, but the vanilla Dark Below and House of Wolves legendaries can not be ascended in The Taken King. It seems it's time for some new weapons to lead the pack. But, before you start going through your vault and disassembling your guns, Bungie has teased that the old gear will have some sort of purpose in the expansion. If you're worried about your Exotics, there's been no mention of holding those pieces of equipment back, so we're guessing they're likely to have stats boosts available come the expansion. 

(Basically, no big upgrades for these old legendary weapon)

You'll use white, green, and blue items again

Part of the reason legendary equipment will not be buffed up to the new level cap is that you'll be hunting down more powerful weapons and armor. Those of us who have been collecting the purple legendaries and yellow exotics over the past year will once again wear the rare blues, uncommon greens, and (dare I say) basic white items. They'll be higher level equipment with stats that will make you shed your old purples. Light values will still have a part to play in your equipment, but Bungie is still keeping those details under wraps.

Missions and some bounties have been given in a new quest format

All of the missions in Destiny will be receiving a "quest" treatment and exotic bounties will be even more elaborate. Part of the change includes a new progress screen that allows you to track your bounties and quests from the Ghost nav. Another interesting bit is that the subclasses (new and old) will require that you complete quests to earn the new powers. There are unique questlines to acquire the Sunbreaker, Stormcaller, and Nightstalker abilities for their respective classes, which will have you hunting for mysterious nomads, joining rogue Titan clans, and engaging in shamanistic rituals.

Weapon Foundries bring new guns to collect

With all this much content being added in The Taken King, you’d better believe there's going to be a truckload of new weapons to go with it. In the expansion, some guns will be categorized by manufacturer, or what the game calls Weapon Foundries. Guns in the same Weapon Foundry share common traits and visual style. Suros weapons have extra perk customization options, Hakke weapons are all-around weapons for any situation, and Omolon guns lean more on the experimental, energy projection side of weapon creation.

Nolan North's voice is replacing Dinklebot

Poor Dinklebot didn't get the warmest reception in vanilla Destiny and it's been a while since we've heard our little Ghost say anything new. But good news, the Ghost is going to be more involved in the story than ever...just with an entirely new voice. Bungie is replacing all of the Ghost's old dialogue with the voice talents of Nolan North, the actor behind iconic video game characters like Nathan Drake. North hopes to bring plenty of life to the character and help it evolve over the life of Destiny. And with Destiny's ten-year plan, we have plenty of time to get reacquainted with our little light.

(Nolan North <3)

Emotes will be equippable

You'll no longer be constrained to only waving, pointing, dancing, and sitting. New emotes can be found and equipped, giving you even more ways to express yourself. And, that's all there really is to say about that. Moving on.

The Gunsmith will have a weekly weapon delivery system

Not only is the Gunsmith getting his own reputation system that allows you to take on challenges with prototype weapons, Bungie is also giving Guardians a reason to visit the gravel-voiced Exo on a weekly basis. Once you level up to a specific Gunsmith faction rank, you unlock Armsday, which gives you the option to spend glimmer on legendary weapons (after completing a set of said challenges) which will arrive on Wednesdays with random perks.

(Not a fan of him getting his own reputation, I don't think this one isn't all that exciting but we'll see in the future)

Shaders and Emblems will no longer hog your vault space

The crowded vault issue is a big problem in Destiny right now. Vaults of players with multiple characters are bursting at the seams with weapons, armor, and items. In The Taken King, it seems Bungie is tweaking some systems to give us a bit more space in our inventories. Emblems and shaders will now be assigned to an interactive console in the Tower, removing those icons that are taking up space in your inventory and vault. It’s a step in the right direction, but we're still crossing our fingers for a much more spacious vault.

Lore will be told through a Metroid Prime-style interface

For the past year, the Destiny lore hasn't been accessible in-game. To catch up on the game's backstory, you'd have to login to Bungie.net to read through the grimoire cards you've collected, which is not ideal. Now it seems your Ghost will fill you in on any additional information about Destiny's worlds and characters with the press of a button, giving you instant access to the grimoire from within the game.

(Now this is pretty cool, will help make it a bit more immersive AND FINALLY GET RID OF THAT ANNOYING "LEAVE THE GAME TO GO SEARCH UP THE LORE)

The random loot system is smarter

The random number generator-based loot system (which the community has dubbed RNGesus) has been the bane of many a Guardian's sanity. Much of Destiny's higher-evel gear can only be acquired through random drops from the various raids, Strikes, and Crucible modes, and the grinding is sure to continue in The Taken King. But Bungie has made improvements to how we will be awarded our random loot. The system will take into account the items you already own, so there is less of a chance to get repeat drops.

(I'll believe it when I see it)

The Crucible has been expanded

PvP is a huge part of Destiny, and Bungie isn't shying away from adding more competitive modes and features to let you blast your fellow Guardians. The Taken King will be adding eight new Crucible maps and three modes called Mayhem, Rift, and Zone Control. There will be Crucible quests that are meant to help newcomers ease into Destiny's competitive side, and a new system will give players legendary or exotic equipment upon completion of a set of weekly bounties. On the technical side, the Crucible matchmaking will now take skill and connection into account when gathering Guardians, and a "Mercy Rule" system will cut off dramatically mismatched games early to help preserve players' records.

(Not a fan of PvP, but it seems cool with what they're doing with it)

So far, I'm actually kinda interested in this. I already stated that I'm enjoying Destiny now (more than I was at launch) and it does seem like they're fixing things up and making it a better game.

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

Yeah, it looks like they've gotten rid of the BS and pretty much most of the stuff I hated before.  I may give it another shot.  The game was fun, but there wasn't enough variety, and I kept asking myself why I was playing it over another game.

This in particular is my favorite change:

The random loot system is smarter

The random number generator-based loot system (which the community has dubbed RNGesus) has been the bane of many a Guardian's sanity. Much of Destiny's higher-evel gear can only be acquired through random drops from the various raids, Strikes, and Crucible modes, and the grinding is sure to continue in The Taken King. But Bungie has made improvements to how we will be awarded our random loot. The system will take into account the items you already own, so there is less of a chance to get repeat drops.

Edited by sushidubya

Yeah, it looks like they've gotten rid of the BS and pretty much most of the stuff I hated before.  I may give it another shot.  The game was fun, but there wasn't enough variety, and I kept asking myself why I was playing it over another game.

As of right now, there's a bit more variety, but overall there isn't much to be impressed with. 

I'd wait until The Taken King comes out, then think about giving it another chance.

As of right now, there's a bit more variety, but overall there isn't much to be impressed with. 

I'd wait until The Taken King comes out, then think about giving it another chance.

Wait, is this an update or expansion pack thing you have to buy?

Sorry if this was made clear in the article, I'm too lazy to read back.

Wait, is this an update or expansion pack thing you have to buy?

Sorry if this was made clear in the article, I'm too lazy to read back.

'Tis an expansion. 

You can get it on PSN (and I think on the Marketplace for Xbone) that comes with both the expansion and the other two expansions.

'Tis an expansion. 

You can get it on PSN (and I think on the Marketplace for Xbone) that comes with both the expansion and the other two expansions.

*Sigh*

I was hoping it'd be an update for the whole game.

If it's more than $20, I'm not gettin it.

*Sigh*

I was hoping it'd be an update for the whole game.

If it's more than $20, I'm not gettin it.

It's a pretty big expansion sooo...yeaaaah...

Meh, Destiny is still not THAT RPG as it was promised originally.

My Destiny copy keeps gathering a pretty large amount of dust.

I'd say give it a chance when the Taken King comes out. Look at the impressions given to see if there are any improvements, don't just wave it off. Take it from me, that I despised this game. But recently, it has gotten better. Maybe not to the level that all the hype was about, but it's getting better.

Not bigger than most updates I've seen for other games.

Well in terms of Destiny, it's pretty big. This is stuff that should've been in the game since the very beginning, so it's a pretty big thing.

Damn, all this talk about Destiny makes me wanna play it.

As I said, this is a big update and they do need to make money. 

Ya but I bought the game and the first season pass. They already have $100 from me. And the first 2 DLC's weren't good.

And the only stuff im excited for in this new update is just fixing the old stuff!

Honestly if it wasn't $40 I would consider buying it immediately.

If reviewers say that its fixed all the problems then I might get it, but as of now I am VERY skeptical.

As I said, this is a big update and they do need to make money. 

to a degree.  But if they are charging to Fix a broken game, one that as been proven to be broken, and is driving people away.  Charging money for the fixes isn't going to help build faith in the company

CDProjektRed.   Is a good example of how to do a game update/fix   Witcher 2, had a number bugs, glitches, etc etc.   went on for a while,  yet when CD did make noise, about fixing the game, they did so...  in a massive way.    A huge game update for the fixes, along with Updating every copy of the game, that people had to the enhanced addition free of charge.  it was like 3+ gigs of update and fixes if i remember right.   Didn't charge a single thing.    As a big.  Thanks for sticking with us, while we fixed this game.   Have an Upgrade too for free cause you guys rock.

Edited by Tveoh

Hey guys we're going to fix all of the broken systems in our game!! We're just gunna need another $40...

Edit: sorry not $20, $40!

the-truth-has-been-spoken.jpg

and...  for previous owners of Destiny, after the $40 you'll need to pay an additional $20 on launch day for the "collector's items" exclusives.  (There are 3 exotic cosmetics that have XP bonuses among those items.)

60 BUCKS!!!

Talk about not-so-micro transactions!

XD

Edited by sushidubya

Ya but I bought the game and the first season pass. They already have $100 from me. And the first 2 DLC's weren't good.

And the only stuff im excited for in this new update is just fixing the old stuff!

Honestly if it wasn't $40 I would consider buying it immediately.

If reviewers say that its fixed all the problems then I might get it, but as of now I am VERY skeptical.

Well, that's how you see it.

As for me, the two DLC were actually quite enjoyable (with the House of Wolves DLC being my really cool) and I'm slightly optimistic. 

But yes, the skepticism is justified.

to a degree.  But if they are charging to Fix a broken game, one that as been proven to be broken, and is driving people away.  Charging money for the fixes isn't going to help build faith in the company

But this isn't a broken game, nor is it just fixing it. It's adding onto the game as well as fixing it. 

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

Well, that's how you see it.

As for me, the two DLC were actually quite enjoyable (with the House of Wolves DLC being my really cool) and I'm slightly optimistic. 

But yes, the skepticism is justified.

But this isn't a broken game, nor is it just fixing it. It's adding onto the game as well as fixing it. 

I just felt like they weren't worth the money I paid for them, especially when they just exaggerated the problems of the base game. I mean light shards?

I just felt like they weren't worth the money I paid for them, especially when they just exaggerated the problems of the base game. I mean light shards?

Again, how you feel is totally justified. But to me, the DLC (House of Wolves, specifically) helped improve my enjoyment of the game. Prison of Elders was especially fun and I got some kickass rewards from it as well.

Edited by TheSpookyGhost