Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What I Have Gathered From Windows 10

Renathy

To put it mildly, it was a rather unpleasing experience. From what I understand, it's nothing but a sort of a test. A beta test, if you will. It has barely any interesting features, and barely focuses on the PC user anymore, much like Windows 8, although it's not as bad. Still, it was not worth my time.

"It's free!" - Yeah, but they're still getting money in some way or another. I doubt they'd ever develop an operative system, and just give it away to a couple thousand people, with nothing in return. They collect your information, above all. Sure, you can disable most of those options to disalow data collection, but many unware/novice users will surely overlook these issues. They can make quite the buck with a user's data.

Apart from that, it now has a store. I believe Windows 8 did too, but I never bothered with it, so Windows 10 is somewhat fresh to me. The store has a bunch of apps that you can just download to improve your experience. Nice little feature, but it also has paid apps. Oh, look, more revenue! - I didn't look much into the app store, to be honest, although it looked like it was mainly composed of user made content.

With that in mind, they're now forcing Bing and Edge (Former Internet Explorer revamped or something. Didn't bother with it.), with search results leading to Bing, and Edge, much like Internet Explorer, wanting to say hi, and wanting some social interaction. - You can however, disable online searches and Edge isn't much a problem, other than still being a browser download tool, if you happen to have done a clean install.

But back onto the actual operative system itself, I have encountered a lot of issues. Possibly because it was an upgrade, and not a clean, fresh install. I didn't try that yet, but I won't, seeing as I have a problem with a driver that I cannot fix, and upgrading doesn't really help the case.

Right away, I encountered a few issues. Lots and lots of glitches (Frozen taskbar was one of the first, and happened twice in a row); Booting up System Recovery mode fails; A few pop-up errors, some detrimental to the system (Had an error that appeared before the log-in screen, and I couldn't go past it). - There weren't many, but they were a pain to deal with, especially since I spent nearly an entire day trying to fix most of these isuses, going back and forth between Google searches, looking for solutions. Yadda, yadda.

Another major problem was booting up the system. Dear lord, was it bad. It was ludicrously slow, and I restarted my computer over twenty times alone on that day, so you know how that feels. Compared to my previous system, Windows 10 took about 2 to 3 minutes, if not more, just to boot up.

In the end, I didn't notice anything even worse than what I had already faced. My girlfriend just had minimal issues at the start that she fixed right away with a simple online search. Her system seemed to be hogging RAM, and her connection was relatively slower. A few other tiny issues, but she eventually fixed them all, somehow. I guess I am one of the few affected users. It was hard to find solutions online at times, seeing as some issues weren't that common.

But yeah, that's about it. I reverted back, not because of the system, but because an older driver stopped working after the upgrade, and I couldn't install any other older driver that was for Windows 8.1 and below. If I did, it would either fail or just plainly put me up with the magnificient BSOD. Installing the latest driver worked, but caused some other issues, not with the system itself, but with my games, so I just gave up at the end of the night, nearly falling to the side due to exhaustion.

Edited by JRMC

heck, if you do not have the pro user, they are many tweak you are unable to do and you can't control your windows update, meaning a single update can screw the stability of your os. Apparently, power user count as pro, might as well remove the calculator from the home version and make it <enterprise> exclusive  >.>

Don't upgrade to a new OS without waiting for about a year first.

Standard practice.

or it should be, anyway

I know, I know, but I just wanted to test it out, for a couple of reasons.

heck, if you do not have the pro user, they are many tweak you are unable to do and you can't control your windows update, meaning a single update can screw the stability of your os. Apparently, power user count as pro, might as well remove the calculator from the home version and make it <enterprise> exclusive  >.>

Most Windows pre-ultimate/pro don't allow you to do everything on your system, oddly enough. - About the updates, however, yeah, that was a problem. There was an issue, which did not occur for me, that an automatic installed update would cause the computer to reboot itself multiple times.

I grabbed the pro. Zero issues so far and I'm running Warframe with Reshade+SweetFx graphics injector. All golden over here.

Win 10 right boots faster and has a snazzier UI. You can use the Xbox app to take PC game screenshots and record gameplay. But for Nvidia users, shadowplay is much better.

DX11 games run about the same on Win10 and Win8 with Win10 getting a few frames more. Nominal for sure. We wont see big improvement until DX12 games come out.

Did a clean install of Windows 10 for my comp, was using Windows 7 before, I've found that it uses less resources and works great for me. But it's going to vary computer to computer for each person.

Exactly why I ran some test on single system and then upgraded from Win8. Running the very same tests again in Win10 with marginally better results. But DX12 will be the big deciding factor for many gamers.

Overall, I am really liking Win10. System is snappier/faster and games are showing a few frames more per second all around.

Edited by RawGritz

Did a clean install of Windows 10 for my comp, was using Windows 7 before, I've found that it uses less resources and works great for me. But it's going to vary computer to computer for each person.

I might do a clean install, once I figure a way to deal with my driver problem.

I got Win 10 Pro, and I kinda love it so far, the only issues I had where some stability issues coming from one program; Nvidia ShadowPlay.

While recording Warframe with Shadowplay, I crashed multiple times, even getting a BSOD which I haven't had in nearly a decade of computing.

Of course at the start, some stuff are gonna be wonky, but this is just like when Vista came out. It's brand new. Not much stuff came out for it officially.

Edited by SHIR0B0N

I got Win 10 Pro, and I kinda love it so far, the only issues I had where some stability issues coming from one program; Nvidia ShadowPlay.

While recording Warframe with Shadowplay, I crashed multiple times, even getting a BSOD which I haven't had in nearly a decade of computing.

Of course at the start, some stuff are gonna be wonky, but this is just like when Vista came out. It's brand new. Not much stuff came out for it officially.

still a shame most people bash vista, is a great os (most people try to install xp driver on it, you can guess the result). Vista/7 driver seem very compatible because the os are similar. Sadly, with each <upgrade>, the feature and power user tool seem strip from the os, to either be add on the pro version or removed (some feature that can be save thanks to the registry, not all of it sadly).

I see windows as a very cripple os, heck, if your pc is unbootable, good luck booting in safe-mode without a dvd/usb stick unless you use legacy mode in the bios.

I've been using W10 since its release, and I've had no outstanding problems. Like you, I did an upgrade rather than a clean install, but I upgraded from 8.1 instead of 7 (I assume). The biggest issue I have with it is that it doesn't have Windows Media Player, but other than that it's pretty solid. Cortana searches in bing, but opens the search with your default browser, so you're in no way forced to use Edge. Microsoft's spying is easily disabled, and Cortana only records searches done through it.

Booting for me has actually been faster, but that again might be due to me upgrading from W8.1.

"It's free!" - Yeah, but they're still getting money in some way or another. I doubt they'd ever develop an operative system, and just give it away to a couple thousand people, with nothing in return. They collect your information, above all. Sure, you can disable most of those options to disalow data collection, but many unware/novice users will surely overlook these issues. They can make quite the buck with a user's data.

Might I add that you are posting this on a free to play game's forum that follows that "It's free!" logic. They just sell plat instead of user data, but it's somewhat similar with the Microsoft Store. You buy apps to help improve your experience with the OS, just like how you can buy (or trade for (but someone else still had to buy)) plat to improve your experience on Warframe. You don't have to pay a cent for it, but it helps.

Might I add that you are posting this on a free to play game's forum that follows that "It's free!" logic. They just sell plat instead of user data, but it's somewhat similar with the Microsoft Store. You buy apps to help improve your experience with the OS, just like how you can buy (or trade for (but someone else still had to buy)) plat to improve your experience on Warframe. You don't have to pay a cent for it, but it helps.

It has nothing to do with one another. Windows doesn't state that it's a test build; All forms of data collection are  turned on by default; etc. In Warframe your credit card isn't charged automatically by default, is it now? It also shows that it's still in beta, regardless. It gives you a clear sense of what you're going in to.

Edited by JRMC

The only thing that changed was that my games now run faster and it updated my drivers seems slick and is all square-ish like MacOS, I don't know why you hate windows bruh.

If I hated Windows, I wouldn't be using it in the first place.