Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Scrying Eye 4 – An Exploration Into The Manifold Influences On Warframe

(PSN)MoRockaPDX

The Scrying Eye IV–An Exploration Into The Manifold Influences On Warframe

The Guyver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bio_Booster_Armor_Guyver

Guyver_Viz-Manga_Volume1.jpg

The Guyver was originally a Japanese manga from 1986, that has had several animated and film adaptations since. It features bio-technological suits that merge with the host and enhance them to superhuman levels. 

The story goes, that several experimental Guyver Units go missing from a corporation called Cronos. One falls in the hands of Shō Fukamachi, a highshcool student. He spends most of his time being hunted by bio-mechanically augmented goons, from Cronos. Shö, is more preoccupied defending his friends and family, but eventually learns more about the nature of the mysterious suit and its origins. 

​I won't reveal everything about the story, as the Guyver is a Manga/anime classic, and you really should go out and enjoy it for your self. However, I am going to discuss some spoiler content from this point forward, so you are warned.

In the original series, the Bio Booster Armor was created by a progenitor race/aliens, called, the Creators. However, the first, of the Armors host attacked them. The host resisted their control and was dubbed, "Guyver," meaning, "Out of control."

Here is a youtube of the first episode. Though you can just preview the intro at the beginning to get a good sense of all the craziness that is the Guyver! Metal, check. Ultra-violence, check. High school kids, check. Its definitely anime. It's also awesome, well awesome by 1986 standards and I can forgive the lower production values. Back then people where just dying for anime, that was far and few between.

2006 version of the same series, in case the original is too old for ya.

The parallels are obvious, but as always, I am only highlighting what I perceive to be influences on the design choices by DE. However, on multiple occasion DE staff, including Steve, and Minky have cited The Guyver.

Interesting side note. The control metal, the disk on the forehead, looks very similar to the lens from the Japanese anime adaptation of Doc E. E. Smith's Lensmen.

a-lens.jpg latest

The Scrying Eye 3

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/482736-the-scrying-eye-3–an-exploration-into-the-manifold-influences-on-warframe/?p=5384718

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

Is this 4 or 5? The title says 5 but the numerals you use say IV, which is 4, so which one is it? And I think you should link the previous "Scrying Eyes" posts if there were more than one. Also, what about the Guyver movie? And is this even General Discussion?

Is this 4 or 5? The title says 5 but the numerals you use say IV, which is 4, so which one is it? And I think you should link the previous "Scrying Eyes" posts if there were more than one. Also, what about the Guyver movie? And is this even General Discussion?

I caught it too late. Edited it now, definitely number four. Maybe, belongs in Fan section, but it is meant to start a discussion directly relating to Warframe.

I also mentioned that it has had several adaptations. Thought the only thing I really like about the live action movie was Mark Hamill. 

Never watched Guyver, but the warframes definitely make me think of Bubblegum Crisis (Tokyo 2040 to be specific), which has a similar aesthetic to it.

Unrelated to this specific article, but I know the devs name-dropped Devil May Cry and God of War as melee 2.0 inspiration, and Zone of the Enders for Archwing. They're into a lot of cool stuff.

Horrible. This is what people considered great?

Lol, the dubbing back then, even today, is notoriously bad, and not doing it any favors. Nostalgia of course factors in rose colored glasses. But, back in the 80's this was edgy and different. Trust me, before you know it you will be looking back on your favorites with the same mix nostalgia and cringe worthiness.

I should also point out other classics that are rather flawed. Golgo 13, MD Guist, Fist of the North Star, Appleseed. 

For more universally accepted anime classics I guess you could look at Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Studio Gibli films, etc.

I saw Guyver essentially open his bra to squirt cosmic breast milk out of his nipples on some goons.

I don't know how I will ever erase that from my mind.

That's a bit of a stretch. They are lasers, in the chest cavity, under the armour. At this point in Sci-fi a suit making alterations to a protagonists body to house weapons of mass destruction was pretty new.

...If you're used to breast milk doing that to a forest then your mother must have been quite a woman.

i always said that warframe is looking more and more an anime style game each update. I don't like this.

Depends how you define "anime style." I mean, sure, they clearly take some cues from anime, but they're just as clearly taking cues from...well, all manner of other things. Some of it's western, some of it's eastern.

i always said that warframe is looking more and more an anime style game each update. I don't like this.

Unfortunately for you, DE's art designer stated that anime is an influence on Warframe, especially the warframe designs themselves. As such, I don't understand what you mean by an "anime style" game, since it was marketed towards that kind of crowd, especially with the tag line "Ninjas Play Free".

Depends how you define "anime style." I mean, sure, they clearly take some cues from anime, but they're just as clearly taking cues from...well, all manner of other things. Some of it's western, some of it's eastern.

Unfortunately for you, DE's art designer stated that anime is an influence on Warframe, especially the warframe designs themselves. As such, I don't understand what you mean by an "anime style" game, since it was marketed towards that kind of crowd, especially with the tag line "Ninjas Play Free".

I think DE pulled from Anime/Manga's action, and tendency to seek unconventional themes. Or, at least Anime/Manga used too. I mean, Studion Ghibli films, Akira, The Guyver, Odin, Macross, and many more explored areas that where unconventional and inventive for the time of their release. These where the kinds of Anime/Manga that where out when DE staff where coming up. Mix these influences in with the totally different set of influences, from the veriety of team members, and you have a unique product in Warframe.

That's a bit of a stretch. They are lasers, in the chest cavity, under the armour. At this point in Sci-fi a suit making alterations to a protagonists body to house weapons of mass destruction was pretty new.

...If you're used to breast milk doing that to a forest then your mother must have been quite a woman.

It's still coming out of his nipples.

Yes. Out of his entire pectorals, but through where?

That's right. Through his NIPPLES.

What are you trying to do here? What do you hope to achieve? Illustrate that your tastes are "above" 1980's anime? Deride a program that was a product of its culture and time (and yet was ahead of the curve in that time)

Do you want to do a dissection of He-man next, or Scooby-do? Will that satisfy whatever bizzare urge you're indulging right now?

Seriously, you're not contributing, you're just being an A****** and you sound like a pretentious pre-teen, quit it.

Well, anyway. Some salient points, the morphology of the Guyver is not quite a match for the host presented in the series. Presumably the suit compensates for the host, sound familiar?

Also, the background story of how the first Guyver unit (Guyver 0) rebelled from the, "Creators." Uniquely resisting the mind control, and destroying in of their Ships. This also rings familiar, with the Tenno. Maybe more so, to me, because I believe the strongly suspect the Orokin corrupted the Tenno with the Neural Sentry, at some point.

Never really made the connection with Guyver as I never really got into it.

I tried at one point but had trouble finding good fan translations and the manga is just too old for my tastes.

Also Guyver and its ilk use the trope Living bodysuit or Adaptive armor. as their base trope so I guess that's also part of the basis of Warframe as well.

But there are no wrong interpretations so yeah I can see the similarities.

Edited by Ziegrif

Never really made the connection with Guyver as I never really got into it.

I tried at one point but had trouble finding good fan translations and the manga is just too old for my tastes.

Also Guyver and its ilk use the trope Living bodysuit as their base trope so I guess that's also part of the basis of Warframe as well.

But there are no wrong interpretations so yeah I can see the similarities.

Fair enough. I posted a link to the the newer 2006 adaptation. Check it out, the higher production value and more padded story may help.

Fair enough. I posted a link to the the newer 2006 adaptation. Check it out, the higher production value and more padded story may help.

Unfortunately I'd have to look for it elsewhere as it's been blocked in my country by the youtubes.

Also I've had less and less time to watch anime or cartoons, other hobbies have taken over that time.

I do watch Code Geass every few years.

What are you trying to do here? What do you hope to achieve? Illustrate that your tastes are "above" 1980's anime? Deride a program that was a product of its culture and time (and yet was ahead of the curve in that time)

Do you want to do a dissection of He-man next, or Scooby-do? Will that satisfy whatever bizzare urge you're indulging right now?

Seriously, you're not contributing, you're just being an A****** and you sound like a pretentious pre-teen, quit it.

Actually, it's more important for you to get a grip on yourself.

Don't ask me a whole bunch of stupid and speculative questions about my "motive". Instead go ahead and tell us what is bothering you.

If you can't do that, then we know who is being the pretentious teen. We can look for who flies into sudden rages but can't tell people what he's upset about.

Edited by Coryphaus