Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Wyrm Have A Role Anymore?

AscendantWyvern

+1 wyrm has needed a buff the whole time

Surely that can be said, back before U8, you didnt know whether sentinels are supposed to be as useful as Wyrm or Shade. With the introduction of Dethcube being as useful as Shade...we find out just what power the Sentinels are supposed to have...and Wyrm severely lacks it.

Finally People with a head on their shoulders and not an arse. If something is weaker than the other "something" just buff up the weaker one. Anyways cristimirt is right "Crowd Control" should be looked into cause it seems like it's missing than hitting anything, when it does seems like it does some damage but that's about it. I propose for Wyrm to use a radial blast attack like Rhino with a small chance of knockdown (Dependeing on the nearby enemies, the more enemies the higher the chance). Crowd control could become like an electrical radial blast that electrifies and of course stuns, or you could make it to blind the enemy.

Actually, my head is on my shoulders both when I ask for Iron Skin nerfs (from the original, I mean) and when I ask for Wyrm buffs. Iron Skin was overpowered, so it should be nerfed, and Wyrm is underpowered, so should be buffed.

I'd propose that Wyrm gets a shotgun with a very high stun chance (50%ish per pellet would be nice) and decent damage, a fix/buff to Crowd Dispersion, and a buff to health. I have no idea why, but my Wyrm just seems to die from the second guy it shoots, while the Dethcube hasn't died in 15 waves of defense. Both had no health/shield mods.

Also, merge Warrior and Swift Deth. They do the same thing, so why have two seperate mods?

I ask this question, not to nerf Dethcube, but to buff Wyrm and work on it to create a niche that is just as valuable as DC and Shade.

Before Dethcube, Wyrm was the coined "Offensive" Sentinel with a proactive firing tactic and a "crowd control" ability. Unfortunately, the Proactive firing was not deadly enough to be useful and the Crowd Dispersion rarely worked right, which led the de facto Sentinel to be Shade.

Now we have Dethcube, an Offensive Sentinel that is ACTUALLY damaging. It has essentially a gorgon for a weapon and the ability to VAPORIZE enemies. So...what role does Wyrm play?

:My proposal:

I propose a change to Wyrm, to make him a DEFENSIVE sentinel. Either make Crowd Dispersion better, useful even, or change it in favor of a more direct defensive ability. Give him a reactive firing ability and a shotgun to defend with. Wyrm is inferior to the other sentinels and should be looked into with care.

No. Wyrm was plenty useful, and prior to DC I preferred Wyrm over Shade because it was pro-active, with cryo-rounds that came in handy a lot, especially when enemies were coming up behind me. Right now the only thing preventing wyrm from having a niche is the fact that crowd dispersion sucks, doesn't trigger right and the effect isn't very noticeable even maxed. Fixing crowd dispersion alone will make Wyrm viable again and serve the intended role of being that step between shade's purely defensive oriented abilities, and DethCube's purely offensive abilities.

Changing Crowd Dispersion to trigger at player height instead of sentinel height- and increasing the effect of it's stun/stagger is all that's needed to fix him. Nothing more.

I personally feel it should be a floating tank. Remove it's weapon and equip it with a special link so when you lose your shields you sentinel takes all incoming damage for you until your shields fully recharge.

I personally feel it should be a floating tank. Remove it's weapon and equip it with a special link so when you lose your shields you sentinel takes all incoming damage for you until your shields fully recharge.

That sounds like a concept for a fourth Sentinel. Dethcube for offense, Shade for stealth defense, Wyrm for CC and hypothetical for tanky defense.

Edited by Kyte

Wyrm just needs the S#&$ty warrior ability replaced with an ability that stuns a random target every few seconds, depending on the mod rank.

I actually like this idea, having a sort of tazer that stuns an enemy (sans bosses like other CC abilities) that replaces a proactive or reactive firing mindset. The question raised from this is what Wyrm's weapon will obtain from it and what leveling Wyrm's weapon would accomplish when it no longer has a firing trait.

Sentinel could get assist XP and stun duration scaled to level?

Personally I'm not fond of it 'cause it doesn't play well with most mods. Plus there're already stun mods.

Hm. Does a rapid fire low-damage shotgun sound ridiculous to anyone else?

Sentinel could get assist XP and stun duration scaled to level?

Personally I'm not fond of it 'cause it doesn't play well with most mods. Plus there're already stun mods.

Hm. Does a rapid fire low-damage shotgun sound ridiculous to anyone else?

Actually a medium damage slow firing shotgun that stuns would give it flavor.

It could still utilize all of the shotgun mods for damage and faster shooting.

It has the same exact role.

Wyrm just needs the S#&$ty warrior ability replaced with an ability that stuns a random target every few seconds, depending on the mod rank.

Put stun mod and max it and any Sentinel can stun.

If you put and ice mod it's even better.

i don't want DethCube to be changed at all :( it's adorable and i like it the way it is. 

just buff Wyrm. maybe his rifle can be like a latron shooting at many enemies in contrast to DethCubes' machine gun shooting at one enemy a lot.

have that laser rifle switch targets from time to time, to make continuing effects on all the enemies around you. i.e. ice, shock, and outright stun to do some damage but mostly keeping enemies at a distance. 

stunning or other effects could (and maybe should) be innate as well, due to the considerably lower amount of Dakka Wyrm outputs.

Edited by taiiat

i don't want DethCube to be changed at all :( it's adorable and i like it the way it is. 

just buff Wyrm. maybe his rifle can be like a latron shooting at many enemies in contrast to DethCubes' machine gun shooting at one enemy a lot.

have that laser rifle switch targets from time to time, to make continuing effects on all the enemies around you. i.e. ice, shock, and outright stun to do some damage but mostly keeping enemies at a distance. 

stunning or other effects could (and maybe should) be innate as well, due to the considerably lower amount of Dakka Wyrm outputs.

That's the very premise of the thread here, we all love Dethcube and think he is placed properly as an offensive sentinel. The issue is that Wyrm is inferior compared to Shade and Dethcube and needs some work to become actually useful.

+1 OP.

I basically use Wyrm as a defensive sentinel as it stands.  His attack wasn't strong enough to justify constantly aggroing enemies, getting himself killed, and depriving me of my floating shield battery, so I took away Warrior and Crowd Control, leaving him with maxed Regen and Guardian.  Haven't looked back.

It be neat to see him reimagined as entirely defensive - I'd adore that.

Well, actually I was expecting the cube to be shotgun-wielding since Shade uses a pistol and Wyrm uses a rifle but yes, we can indeed pass the cube's rifle to Wyrm.

Why not give wyrm the shotgun? That'd help more in a support/defensive role.

Shade is for utility. Invisibility on any character you want is nice, the pistol does hardly any damage though and is only get for stunning targets that focus you (when equipped with elemental mods.)

Wyrm is now defunct, in comparison to it's two siblings.

Dethcube is a bad*ss cube of death and destruction and is highly offensive. As in, it deals tonnes of damage. The range on it's weapon is amazing when Swift Deth is maxed quickly (it can shoot a target across the length of a fair sized room) and is especially effective with elemental mods. And Vaporize is extremly satisfying as well, the effects are very noticeable. Not only this, but it's main weapon doesn't have perfect accuracy actually dealing fair amounts of enemies in a small area around it's target.

I would suggest giving Wyrm's rifle a passive chance to stun while making it swap between targets more quickly, and making crowd control more noticeable and more effective.

81QhL3t.gif

oh look, it's 3 years ago

Hello January 2010.

Back on topic;

Crowd dispersion needs to be fixed...

Or at least be made noticable.

I've been told it's a low percent chance to make enemies in a small AoE stagger briefly.

I mean what the frick?

It should be a 100% chance to stun enemies in a small AoE for a couple of seconds

or a 100% chance to stagger enemies in a huge AoE.

Or to make it as good as the other two; a 100% chance to stun enemies in a large AoE.