Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has A Game Ever Lived Up To Your Hype?

TheErebus.

There is a good reason why Skyrim was praised, and that was because people actually had fun with it.

But can you honestly not see why other people could enjoy it?

On topic again, I really, really hope FO4 won't nosedive. Because my hype for it is real.

There is a good reason why Skyrim was praised, and that was because people actually had fun with it.

But can you honestly not see why other people could enjoy it?

No, I cannot. Because the issues with Skyrim are issues from other games, and people seem to excuse these faults for ridiculous reasons.

The story is boring and incredibly predictable and the combat is a huge mess of stiff design. And when you have the combat being a clunky, stiff mess then the game is incredibly flawed. There are other FPM (First person melee) games out there that beat Skyrim to a pulp with their combat (Shadow Warrior and Chivalry are fine example, hell even Dying Light has a better combat system than Skyrim). 

The same applies with Fallout 3. I was so excited for it, and then when I played it (originally on my PS3, then onto my PC) the gunplay was absolutely dreadful. Same with New Vegas.

No, I cannot. Because the issues with Skyrim are issues from other games, and people seem to excuse these faults for ridiculous reasons.

The story is boring and incredibly predictable and the combat is a huge mess of stiff design. And when you have the combat being a clunky, stiff mess then the game is incredibly flawed. There are other FPM (First person melee) games out there that beat Skyrim to a pulp with their combat (Shadow Warrior and Chivalry are fine example, hell even Dying Light has a better combat system than Skyrim). 

The same applies with Fallout 3. I was so excited for it, and then when I played it (originally on my PS3, then onto my PC) the gunplay was absolutely dreadful. Same with New Vegas.

I like Skyrim because I had fun with it.

Evidently, the vast majority of people who played it also had fun with it, and therefore liked it.

If you did not have fun with it and cannot understand why other people did have fun with it, then your concept of fun is different to the vast majority of people's concepts of fun.

That doesn't make the games that you didn't have fun with better or worse games, objectively speaking. It just means that they are targeting/hitting an audience that you're not included in.

Edited by fishworshipper

Alien vs Predator, Saint Row V.

I'm getting hyped for xcom 2 so let's see how that goes.

Also games that exceeded my expectations like Bioshock infinite.

XCOM 2 is also on my wishlist.

Although I wish they didn't make the new/upgraded chryssalids worse than Site Recon.

That doesn't make the games that you didn't have fun with better or worse games, objectively speaking. It just means that they are targeting/hitting an audience that you're not included in.

Target audience?

I love fantasy, I love it to bits.

What audience is Skyrim trying to get?

The fantasy crowd, to which I am a part of.

Skyrim is an incredibly flawed game, with stiff combat and a boring story. Yet I have heard none of this in any review for the game (Even Angry Joe, who I have a lot of respect for, gave it a 10/10, which I couldn't believe). None of them even touch upon the fact that the combat is exactly the same as Oblivion.

Dual wielding doesn't count because in the end, the combat mechanics are still the same, and executions are just flashy finishers that might happen if you deal more damage than what is remaining of their health. 

I don't understand how people can forgive Skyrim for its lousy combat. Y'know someone made a Dark Souls mod for Skyrim, which effectively increased the difficulty to an extremely high level. And I died within fighting the first few enemies in the game. Why? Because the combat doesn't allow to you dodge any attack whatsoever. There is no sense of intensity that you'd get from any other FPM (Or any fantasy game with melee, go play Kingdoms of Amalur and tell me that the combat in the game is not as good as Skyrim). Objectively, Skyrim is not a great game. But it's not bad either.

It's mediocre.

You're telling me that there doesn't exist a single person in the world who would be willing to see beyond these specific faults and enjoy the game regardless. Not even one.

Does that seem maybe a little unrealistic?

Granted, you're right about how flawed parts of the game are. Especially the combat. But I could argue that the combat was something that I largely ignored until I was forced to. Well, except maybe archery.

But my point is: for many, many people who played it, Skyrim was actually fun. Which is why it was praised.

Of course, this varies from person to person, and I would see why you would not like it.

You're telling me that there doesn't exist a single person in the world who would be willing to see beyond these specific faults and enjoy the game regardless. Not even one.

Does that seem maybe a little unrealistic?

Maybe to you, but such huge faults in the game is what fuels my disbelief of how many people like it. It baffles me to no end.

But I could argue that the combat was something that I largely ignored until I was forced to. Well, except maybe archery.

The combat is one of the biggest parts of what you do in the game. I cannot just "ignore it until I was forced to". 

Maybe to you, but such huge faults in the game is what fuels my disbelief of how many people like it. It baffles me to no end.

The combat is one of the biggest parts of what you do in the game. I cannot just "ignore it until I was forced to". 

Well, I can't really convince you of anything you're sure just can't be possible.

So, I guess we should just agree to disagree?

guys stop fighting over that. This is about games you thought lived up to your hype, not whether or a not a game was good or not. Everyone has different opinions on the game, so if you don't like it, that's fine. But don't try to force your view points on others.

Edited by NyxCrab

guys stop fighting over that. This is about games you thought lived up to your hype, not whether or a not a game was good or not. Everyone has different opinions on the game, so if you don't like it, that's fine. But don't try to force your view points on others.

I didn't think this was a fight, though.

And neither of us was trying to force ideals onto one another... I think.

So no worries.

Lets see....

Fallout NV and 3

Mass effect 2

Skyrim

Dragon age inquisition

Metal Gear Rising

AC Black flag

Now I want to include games that were "big claim, lame game", and I will only include games I have played

Destiny, tiny amount of content

Halo CE, just meh, gameplay was fun but nothing really that special

AC Unity

Aliens Colonial Marines, the faq happened?

I'm impossible to please, so the short answer is probably no.

The long answer would be that I've played games that lived up to my expectations very well, but that doesn't really count as hype since I didn't wait with anticipation - I just kinda found them available for purchase and chucked money at them.

The joke answer is Windjammers. It was always Windjammers.

Target audience?-snip-

It's mediocre.

Skyrim is okay, I never got too into it either, but it is a large open world with extensive modding capability. That's where most of it's popularity comes from, to me nothing will ever come close to Dragons dogma's combat, combine that with skyrims open world and it could be something spectacular. Besides at the time Skyrim was pretty exceptional, why else would it have gotten a GOTY.

...Are you on drugs?

He has the same opinion as me. Halo 1 simply doesn't hold up well in terms of modern games.

Nope, when I got to the end I literally said, Is that it?, thought it was going to be better"

And yes I played all of them, the only games I liked was ODST and 4, both had pretty good stories

I wasn't a big fan of Halo 4's story, but it definitely wasn't the worst part of the game. Nerfed forge, terrible MP, no gametypes.

Skyrim is okay, I never got too into it either, but it is a large open world with extensive modding capability. That's where most of it's popularity comes from, to me nothing will ever come close to Dragons dogma's combat, combine that with skyrims open world and it could be something spectacular. Besides at the time Skyrim was pretty exceptional, why else would it have gotten a GOTY.

I got a better comparison for Skyrim.

Shadow Warrior. 

The game features melee combat at its finest (for a first person viewpoint), good dodging mechanics and a fantastic heavy/light attack system (Also Wang), and while Skyrim is open world, a certain critic said it best:

"Skyrim is as wide as an ocean, but has the depth of a kiddy pool" (I'm paraphrasing of course). 

Dragon's Dogma isn't as wide, but has a lot of depth (Especially in Bitterblack Isle).

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

IT WAS DEVELOPED LIKE 14 YEARS AGO. That's an opinion. I see it as better than any 'modern' FPS.

DOOM was made like 22 years ago and it still holds up very well. Halo CE...not so much.

Also FTFY

Edited by TheSpookyGhost