Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma And Soma Prime, Where Is It's Equal?

KnightCole

I really don't care about DPS, but It's kinda boring after you forma it a couple of times. So I guess it's not as entertaining?

I care less about fun factor then the effective power of the weapon.  And the Soma's effectiveness seems to have no real match.  Boring to use?  after awhile.  Rhino is the same story, but thier effectiveness keeps me using em time and again, and lovin' every minute of it.

I wish DE would buff up other weapons to give the Soma some degree of run for its money in overall effectiveness.

I care less about fun factor then the effective power of the weapon.  And the Soma's effectiveness seems to have no real match.  Boring to use?  after awhile.  Rhino is the same story, but thier effectiveness keeps me using em time and again, and lovin' every minute of it.

I wish DE would buff up other weapons to give the Soma some degree of run for its money in overall effectiveness.

I dunno, power creep kind killed a crapload of older content, but it's playstyle. you like fast rifles, some people kill better with boltor primes, tonkor, meh

Several players here have listed weapons equal to or more powerful than the Soma and the Prime.

Rhino is neither overpowered, nor particularly effective against actually high level enemies. Your saying so indicates that you have likely not encountered a situation where weapons like the Soma drop off, and the absolute most powerful weapons in are needed.

Several players here have listed weapons equal to or more powerful than the Soma and the Prime.

Rhino is neither overpowered, nor particularly effective against actually high level enemies. Your saying so indicates that you have likely not encountered a situation where weapons like the Soma drop off, and the absolute most powerful weapons in are needed.

Yeah, ive  read the replies, seems to me, high end content in this game turns into lots of massive AoE and explosive weaponry.  Lots and lots of high damage, mass AoE firepower. 

And no, I have not seen past a lvl 50 mobs, and those only in the Gorgon Wraith alert.  Before that, 40 minutes and 35 rounds into defense is all the higher ive seen. 

Also seems to be the game goes from us being gods, to the mobs simply 1 shotting us.  Ive done a few invasions vs the Infested, and they simply 1 shot me....through rhino skin, 1280 shields and 800 health...bam, dead....

Yeah, ive  read the replies, seems to me, high end content in this game turns into lots of massive AoE and explosive weaponry.  Lots and lots of high damage, mass AoE firepower. 

And no, I have not seen past a lvl 50 mobs, and those only in the Gorgon Wraith alert.  Before that, 40 minutes and 35 rounds into defense is all the higher ive seen. 

Also seems to be the game goes from us being gods, to the mobs simply 1 shotting us.  Ive done a few invasions vs the Infested, and they simply 1 shot me....through rhino skin, 1280 shields and 800 health...bam, dead....

Everyone here is talking about level 80+, and several here are probably thinking of level 200+.

AOE helps, but is not vital. Any weapon can become multi-target with punch through modded in. If you are talking about the Tonkor, Torid and Amprex, they are used because they are extremely powerful, even against single targets, with the AOE effect being even more on top of that.

Try fiddling around with the Warframe Builder weapon comparator. It's generally a useful resource (use it as guideline, not gospel). It lists the Soma Prime as #14 for burst DPS primaries, #9 sustained DPS.

Everyone here is talking about level 80+, and several here are probably thinking of level 200+.

AOE helps, but is not vital. Any weapon can become multi-target with punch through modded in. If you are talking about the Tonkor, Torid and Amprex, they are used because they are extremely powerful, even against single targets, with the AOE effect being even more on top of that.

Try fiddling around with the Warframe Builder weapon comparator. It's generally a useful resource (use it as guideline, not gospel). It lists the Soma Prime as #14 for burst DPS primaries, #9 sustained DPS.

What Warfarme Builder doesn't factor in are critical headshots, which are the reason why the Soma/P outclasses the Boltor and most other primaries in terms of damage. I quite like the fact that the Soma rewards skilled handling.

These days I find the Tonkor (another weapon that is quite monstrous with headcrits) more fun to use, but if I don't know what I'm going up against, I always pick the Soma. I still consider it the most reliable weapon in my arsenal.

Against level 50s I could bring my Karak Wraith to similar effect. Mobs really stack up in the late game, and even barring that, there are a TON of weapons that deal equal, or more, single target DPS than the Soma Prime. The list for primaries is pretty long, but the list for secondaries is just as long. Weapons like the Brakk, Mara Detron, Lex Prime, AkMagnus, Vaykor Marelok, Rakta Ballistika etc. all deal more damage per second, and damage per shot.

Basically, the Soma Prime is not the clear cut winner of being the "best gun in the game." It is just the only top tier automatic hitscan rifle. From the Soma Prime the next in line would be the Braton Prime, which in terms of DPS, is a fairly steep drop. Its status is the only thing that keeps it in the conversation at all.

Also, Rhino Prime is an all arounder. He is no where near the most tanky, nor does he deal the most damage, or even have the best CC, but he has a good skill that does all of those things (Iron Skin/Roar/Stomp). If you want to really tank it up, play Trinity, Chroma, or Valkyr. I personally like to dust off Trinity from time to time. Hell, my Saryn is tankier than my Rhino.

Edited by JuanDeages

Ive come to the conclusion, that neither the Soma, nor Soma Prime have any equal in this game.  Nothing is as punchy, deadly, accurate, effective, mag size, crit chance, status chance, nothing.

Soma has just all the right amount of all the right stats to just make it the supreme weapon that there is just no substitute for.

A Stock Soma/P I wont lie, is a bad weapon, but once its forma'd and modded up, its a god gun. 

So, I am genuinely curious, what other guns out shine, out play, are more effective then, or can out do the Soma.  What other guns in this game can really out do it?  I have tried a few, ive got a few other LMGs, and none of them even touch the Soma Prime or the Soma.  Ive got the Tiberon and while its good, its let down by its mag size compared to Soma. 

Burston prime, Branton prime, Dread, Paris Prime, Lanka, Grakata, Prisma Grakata, Penta, Tonkor, Flux rifle, Phage, Supra, Vectis, Vectis prime, Vulkar, Amprex, Synapse, and every shotgun ever are just as good if not better.  All of these when modded properly can fight lv 100 things.

While I agree that soma prime is strong, and feels good to use, its by no means the strongest thing ever, like everyone seems to be convinced of.

Run a calculator of prisma gorgon, both with same builds, gorgon has higher DPS than soma, but not prime

You need to keep in mind that critical headshots receive an additional x2 damage multiplier.  That effectively gives them a (2 * crit rate) dps modifier on headshots, which can result in much higher realistic DPS outcomes than the damage calculators indicate.  

Burston prime, Branton prime, Dread, Paris Prime, Lanka, Grakata, Prisma Grakata, Penta, Tonkor, Flux rifle, Phage, Supra, Vectis, Vectis prime, Vulkar, Amprex, Synapse, and every shotgun ever are just as good if not better.  All of these when modded properly can fight lv 100 things.

While I agree that soma prime is strong, and feels good to use, its by no means the strongest thing ever, like everyone seems to be convinced of.

What makes the Soma and its Prime so good, atleast that I can see, is that it doesnt have to much or to little of any one thing. 

In that list, just the guns I know, Bratton vs Soma, Soma has alot more ammo in the mag and better RoF.  But yes, Braton is a good one.  I have one x5 forma.   Its a nice weapon to use sometimes.  But I find myself going back to my Soma for the real serious missions. 

Against bows, the Soma is just easier to use, alot more sustainability, better RoF, more ammo.  Less raw damage, no lie,  but its the ease of use and overall versatility of the Soma there.

Grakata, my dad had this gun, while, maybe forma'd its not bad, I found it fired to quick to be really good...spends more time  reloading then firing.  But, it was just a base lvl 30 gun, so...

Vs the Supra, a gun ive used a fair bit, like 14,000 kills with it.  Compared to the Soma, it has terrible accuracy, recoil and velocity.  All points which come together as one to make the gun just irritating to use.  Supra, barring those 3 factors is a good gun, good dmg, mag size, ammo reserve.  I give it like a 7/10, let down by those 3 factors.  I can work wiht a gun that requires lead, ive done it in many shooters, but t he thing being, the guns in this game has SOoooo little velocity that even at very close range I need to put on ALOT of lead.  I mean, firing down a hill on the corpus excavations, I gotta lead like 10 feet in front of  them.  Not like other shooters, where I simply lead a few inches in front of them at great distances. 

Soma Vs Supra, Soma just has ease of use, comfort and alot of versatility.   Again, Supra is not a bad gun, otherwise, I wouldnt have 13-14,000 kills with it, but the 3 factors i mention just make it "feel" terrible and irritating to use.  Slight buff to acc and velocity and it owuld be fine really.  And yes, I use Terminal.

Vs Vectis, Soma has versatility and massive mag cap.  Vectis and its prime, yes, its a OHK on pretty much anything, but its a sniper, its slow, clunky, cumbersome and just not versatile.  You gotta actually aim it, while soma you can burst fire or full auto into guys. 

Vs the Gorgons, Soma and its prime have massive accuracy and far more overall effectiveness because of it.  While the Gorgons might have better raw damage, the Gorgons are just to damn inaccurate.  I burst fire my weapons and even then, find myself watching the rounds miss guys entirely, even from mid ranges, like, your average range in this game.  TTK is kinda long on them due to that.  I do aim head-neck lvl, might also be why, but still. 

So, while, ive read the replies, I am glad to see them, and that there is alot of other guns that are good ones, I can see why compared to a Soma they might seem less amazing then they really are.   Soma has been OPd against the other guns in all the right ways to make it appear ALOT more powerful then the other guns.  While other guns just require a more specialized loadout and useage, Soma and its Prime are just general purpose lawn mowers with the perfect balance of everything. 

Excuse me sir but once I'm done with my Tigris build it will be doing at least 30000 and I can prove it too.

Can back this and other comments suggesting Tigris. I can easily get 50k per shot with maxed out damage. 40k with utility (reload speed, punch through, etc). It DOES take 6 forma, but its a nice gun by then >:D

What makes the Soma and its Prime so good, atleast that I can see, is that it doesnt have to much or to little of any one thing. 

In that list, just the guns I know, Bratton vs Soma, Soma has alot more ammo in the mag and better RoF.  But yes, Braton is a good one.  I have one x5 forma.   Its a nice weapon to use sometimes.  But I find myself going back to my Soma for the real serious missions. 

Against bows, the Soma is just easier to use, alot more sustainability, better RoF, more ammo.  Less raw damage, no lie,  but its the ease of use and overall versatility of the Soma there.

Grakata, my dad had this gun, while, maybe forma'd its not bad, I found it fired to quick to be really good...spends more time  reloading then firing.  But, it was just a base lvl 30 gun, so...

Vs the Supra, a gun ive used a fair bit, like 14,000 kills with it.  Compared to the Soma, it has terrible accuracy, recoil and velocity.  All points which come together as one to make the gun just irritating to use.  Supra, barring those 3 factors is a good gun, good dmg, mag size, ammo reserve.  I give it like a 7/10, let down by those 3 factors.  I can work wiht a gun that requires lead, ive done it in many shooters, but t he thing being, the guns in this game has SOoooo little velocity that even at very close range I need to put on ALOT of lead.  I mean, firing down a hill on the corpus excavations, I gotta lead like 10 feet in front of  them.  Not like other shooters, where I simply lead a few inches in front of them at great distances. 

Soma Vs Supra, Soma just has ease of use, comfort and alot of versatility.   Again, Supra is not a bad gun, otherwise, I wouldnt have 13-14,000 kills with it, but the 3 factors i mention just make it "feel" terrible and irritating to use.  Slight buff to acc and velocity and it owuld be fine really.  And yes, I use Terminal.

Vs Vectis, Soma has versatility and massive mag cap.  Vectis and its prime, yes, its a OHK on pretty much anything, but its a sniper, its slow, clunky, cumbersome and just not versatile.  You gotta actually aim it, while soma you can burst fire or full auto into guys. 

Vs the Gorgons, Soma and its prime have massive accuracy and far more overall effectiveness because of it.  While the Gorgons might have better raw damage, the Gorgons are just to damn inaccurate.  I burst fire my weapons and even then, find myself watching the rounds miss guys entirely, even from mid ranges, like, your average range in this game.  TTK is kinda long on them due to that.  I do aim head-neck lvl, might also be why, but still. 

So, while, ive read the replies, I am glad to see them, and that there is alot of other guns that are good ones, I can see why compared to a Soma they might seem less amazing then they really are.   Soma has been OPd against the other guns in all the right ways to make it appear ALOT more powerful then the other guns.  While other guns just require a more specialized loadout and useage, Soma and its Prime are just general purpose lawn mowers with the perfect balance of everything. 

I think you are greatly overrating the Soma based on low level experience. Its DPS is high, but later on the number of bullets it takes to kill units becomes too much to upkeep. Even in terms of raw DPS, it is fairly middle of the road right now. Its accurate, easy to use, and has great sustained damage, but its ammo economy in the late game isn't much to write home about. As far as rifles go, I typically fall back on the Boltor Prime, or the Latron Wraith for the extra ammo economy, and status, the Latron Wraith even more so in the ammo economy department.

As a suggestion for a place to start, if you can get your hands on a Hek, and its syndicate mod, you're going to like the numbers it puts up.

I think you are greatly overrating the Soma based on low level experience. Its DPS is high, but later on the number of bullets it takes to kill units becomes too much to upkeep. Even in terms of raw DPS, it is fairly middle of the road right now. Its accurate, easy to use, and has great sustained damage, but its ammo economy in the late game isn't much to write home about. As far as rifles go, I typically fall back on the Boltor Prime, or the Latron Wraith for the extra ammo economy, and status, the Latron Wraith even more so in the ammo economy department.

As a suggestion for a place to start, if you can get your hands on a Hek, and its syndicate mod, you're going to like the numbers it puts up.

My bro says the Tigris is pretty good to, he says he does like 30-40K crits with it.  Ive heard the Hek does alot of dmg.  And yeah, ive seen, that even against lv 50-60 mobs my Soma starts to take alot of bullets to drop them, even in the head and after dropping the pedo bears, shield ospreys and stuff. 

On a side note though, if the Hek is amazing, does that mean the Prime Point Blanks I got off Baro just for selling might sell well?

Edited by KnightCole

My bro says the Tigris is pretty good to, he says he does like 30-40K crits with it.  Ive heard the Hek does alot of dmg.  And yeah, ive seen, that even against lv 50-60 mobs my Soma starts to take alot of bullets to drop them, even in the head and after dropping the pedo bears, shield ospreys and stuff. 

On a side note though, if the Hek is amazing, does that mean the Prime Point Blanks I got off Baro just for selling might sell well?

I wouldn't sell it if you only have one copy. Shotguns are really strong right now. I imagine you could sell it to those still looking to get their hands on it though.

And yes, the Tigris is pretty good right now. The Hek is slightly better at this time though.

Edited by JuanDeages

I wouldn't sell it if you only have one copy. Shotguns are really strong right now. I imagine you could sell it to those still looking to get their hands on it though.

I got 3 just for the sake of selling them. 

I know they are prolly meta and powerful, but I just really dont like shotguns, in any game.  I typically always use either highly accurate, deadly assault rifles, or LMGs.

Amprex-1

All syndicate weapons - all 2

Tonkor - 1

Quanta Vandal - 1

Aksomati - 2

Hek - 1

All can do over 20k constant dps some over 40k

I use Aksomati, only thing lets those down is accuracy and insanely low amount of base ammo.  280 rounds base, I have 105 in the mag atm, which helps, but yeah, it runs outta ammo fast. 

A person I play wiht in game uses the Amprex, says its a pretty decent gun and great for crowd control.

This might be biased opinion but I find Quanta Vandal to be the best all around weapon. The damage is good, status is good and it has ridiculously good ammo economy. I dont think i ever ran out of ammo with it. It may not have infinite range but its still longer than most beam weapons and I dare to say its long enough for any tileset. Also detonating the cubes manually one shots most things wíth ease even on higher level.