The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upgrade To W10 Has Killed My Game ?

CaptainEras

Question

I get the first screen but when I press "play" all I get is a blank screen . . . and have to turn off my computer to get out of it.

The drivers installed with the upgrade caused this so I manually upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers, only to find the same problem.

Uninstalled the latest drivers and installed the one before it . . .and no games worked.

Went to reinstall the latest driver and the system didn't recognize it . . . fortunately, Geforce Experience managed to load it.

So, all of my games except Warframe work on W10 with the latest Nvidia driver . . .

What steps are being taken concerning Warframe and W10 ?

21 answers to this question

As a suggestion, did you try to run Warframe under compatibility mode when you right click the game and go to properties and then to the compatibility tab? If that doesn't work, then I am not sure what is with your computer. I also have Nvidia drivers and will say that sometimes they do act up. I am using Windows 10 Enterprise but for me the game is running well.

However, the only other thing you can do, well wait for that is, is for Warframe to support DirectX 12, although I don't see why there would be any conflict involving DirectX 11 or 10 even.

Just occurred to me, did you run the game with integrated graphics or high performance Nvidia processor? You can find that when you right click the game and go to run with graphic processor. I use high performance Nvidia processor which seems to keep the game running in a stable manner.

Just occurred to me, did you run the game with integrated graphics or high performance Nvidia processor? You can find that when you right click the game and go to run with graphic processor. I use high performance Nvidia processor which seems to keep the game running in a stable manner.

I use a GTX980 . . .

I have Warframe in my Steam a/c so how can I find the compatibilty mode ? . . right clicking on the shortcut properties doesn't bring up that old familiar box ?

At the moment there seems to be a large download taking place so will have to wait for that to finish before proceeding . .

Edited by CaptainEras

I use a GTX980 . . .

I have Warframe in my Steam a/c so how can I find the compatibilty mode ? . . right clicking on the shortcut properties doesn't bring up that old familiar box ?

At the moment there seems to be a large download taking place so will have to wait for that to finish before proceeding . .

Since you are using Steam, then there is probably a problem regarding that. This is why I don't have Steam because I know from countless research that more problems show up when using third-party software. As far as I know, whatever else was downloaded along with Warframe using Steam likely got either corrupted or something became missing.

Strange, I updated to Windows 10 and let Win 10 choose the settings (i.e. no customization, express install)

Not one problem. (except for a scanner driver that is not compatible, due to Epson not updating drivers)

I don't use the Steam version.

I used to, but I hate having to have that running in the background.

As GhostShip20 has stated, perhaps try that if you cannot get the Steam version to work

I use a GTX980 . . .

Try right clicking on the actual launcher in the steamapps folder

The 4hrs+ download just finished [ this download was in Steam not the Warframe launcher update we get through the shortcut], clicked shortcut to start game and another 1.6GB+ download started.

I checked the folder in Steam and see that it has gone up from 9GB+ to 13.7GB . . .and with what is now downloading it will be 15.3GB, so can anyone tell me the size of their Wareframe folder, plz, because at the moment I feel as though I'm in some kind of update loop.

I know Microsoft have put out all their seemingly altruistic reasons for why they are giving away W10 but dig around enough and you'll see one of the reasons is they are well short of beta testers across every scenario, so it's understandable that Warframe will react differently with different hardware.

Add to that the discord between Microsoft methods and Nvidia protocols and we have a melting pot . .

I endured 3 years of Vista Ultimate sorting itself so I'm used to this . . . everything comes good in the end.

Edited by CaptainEras

The 4hrs+ download just finished [ this download was in Steam not the Warframe launcher update we get through the shortcut], clicked shortcut to start game and another 1.6GB+ download started.

I checked the folder in Steam and see that it has gone up from 9GB+ to 13.7GB . . .and with what is now downloading it will be 15.3GB, so can anyone tell me the size of their Wareframe folder, plz, because at the moment I feel as though I'm in some kind of update loop

Warframe public folder should only be around 9gb iirc

Warframe public folder should only be around 9gb iirc

That's what I thought . . .and why I feel like I'm in some sort of update loop . . .

Something else, a Warframe64bit icon appeared after the Steam update, below the Warframe icon, in Steamapps ..

Edited by CaptainEras

That's what I thought . . .and why I feel like I'm in some sort of update loop . . .

Something else, a Warframe64bit icon appeared after the Steam update, below the Warframe icon, in Steamapps ..

Why dont you try deleting the steam version and all of its data and download the official launcher?

I might have a 15GB+ folder but at least the game is now working . . . I'd only just spent 160 plats on boosters so hey ho, lol . .

No idea why the game felt it needed a separate 64bit download, unless it's something to do with W10, or Nvidia ?

Thnx for your help and suggestions, guys, they won't be wasted . . .

Yeah I'm actually having the same problem. After updating to Windows 10 I can't play the game. I've reinstalled the game, reinstalled steam and now I'm going through technical support to see If they can find a solution to my issue. The game barely runs on my laptop so I was just barely able to get on and tell my clan that W10 is screwing up my game.

I was having this issue too where whenever I started up the game after installing win10 it would just be a black screen. I fixed it by going to launch options and unchecking the "Fullscreen" option, then when I got in game changing "windowed" to "borderless window". It plays in fullscreen now and doesn't give a black screen upon start up.

I had a problem before where the game will just crash for no reason every time I try to start a new mission. At first I thought it's my graphics card and tried updating the drivers (I even disabled SLI and removed the 2nd card just to be sure). Also did a complete re-install. No dice. Then I remembered that I recently upgraded to an audiophile DAC (I like music). I set the old sound card back to default, ran the game, and no crash.

This might not apply to you, but what I'm trying to say is that the culprit might not be the most obvious one. Have you changed anything else on your system recently?

I had a problem before where the game will just crash for no reason every time I try to start a new mission. At first I thought it's my graphics card and tried updating the drivers (I even disabled SLI and removed the 2nd card just to be sure). Also did a complete re-install. No dice. Then I remembered that I recently upgraded to an audiophile DAC (I like music). I set the old sound card back to default, ran the game, and no crash.

This might not apply to you, but what I'm trying to say is that the culprit might not be the most obvious one. Have you changed anything else on your system recently?

Always a good point . . . thinking outside of the box has frequently fixed a problem and at the moment W10 is still very much a beta as it tries to accommodate all mixes of hardware . ..

Edited by CaptainEras

This is what I did:

Turn off auto update in Windows 10.

Goto the website guru3d and download this program:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

It will uninstall all drivers off the computer.

Reboot and goto Nvidia site and download latest drivers (clean Install)

Re-enable auto update (if you want )

This fixed all my problems.