Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Honestly Thought This Was A Joke

Renathy

It's really, really simple. 

Using all caps on the internet (or any form of digital communication) is considering shouting, which is considered rude. 

It has been EVER thus since the dawn of the internet. 

Why is this surprising to anyone? 

Edited by Tesseract7777

I;ve been using the internet since 1994. It'a always been considered rude to use all caps. If you wren't aware of this, well you are now....

I've been using the internet for slightly less time (was too poor and this was way before the age of constant free wifi), this whole 'all caps is rude' thing has not been around since I started and even in the modern day it doesn't exist everywhere (or even in most places). Just take a look at the all caps "REPLY TO THIS TOPIC" written in bright red (on the white layout) letters. All caps is everywhere, and it seems like only forums (and only certain ones at that) tend to consider all caps to be rude.

Excuuuuuse me, princess.

9X3UIR7.png

Now I know what was CasualBot's purpose. His name is totally irrelevant to anything that I had in mind. I apologize if I offended you by activating a key in my keyboard, which is also present in every keyboard ever made by man, that allows me to capitalize every single letter.

I didn't know this is what they wanted to do by supposedly throwing the trading chat away. Good on ya'!

Information I gathered on this topic:

● Mostly every user dislikes capitalized sentences (regardless of the message)

● It floods the chat (more than anything else, even spam itself)

● It is considered as spam (again, regardless of the message)

● Fully capitalized messages are obnoxious and garbage (see underlined word above) ✓

● The trading chat has been reworked to accommodate this specific issue (by banning any fully capitalized message) ✓

● It brings out people's inherent hate (albeit many other worse issues are present)

I can understand that capitalized messages flood the chat. I can't understand anything else.

you got what you deserve

Imo ppl who on purpose abuse capslock are underaged, low to average iq, play mr. nice in forums but are bad flamers/spammers in game.

you got what you deserve

Imo ppl who on purpose abuse capslock are underaged, low to average iq, play mr. nice in forums but are bad flamers/spammers in game.

"you got what you deserve" - I can't tell whether that sentence is prejudiced or biased.

I don't understand the second sentence besides you talking about people who abuse Caps Lock. Is it related at all to the topic?

"you got what you deserve" - I can't tell whether that sentence is prejudiced or biased.

I don't understand the second sentence besides you talking about people who abuse Caps Lock. Is it related at all to the topic?

Caps lock makes your spam more visible and pushy than those of others in tradechat. It also fills out more space so that it is harder to identify things at all.

People who argue for being allowed to use capslock in tradechat do so because they think they should be granted this little advantage over others while they do not realize that then in no time almost everybody would just use capslock and this would make the quality of trading worse for everyone. Therefore I come to the conclusion that they must be low iq and immature. I hope that explains it to you.

A rework of the rule wouldn't be a problem. I mean, it was my first damned sentence on the trading chat in over, I don't know, months. I lost count.

I'm sorry I didn't know the kicker bots or whatever they are read minds and knew how long you have been on and surely didn't mistake you for a plain old ALL CAPS USER~

According to whom? I don't agree with that sentiment. 

ACCORDING TO THE PEOPLE HERE RIGHT NOW SAYING IT! ALONG WITH DE KICKER THING!

It's kind ironic, because people who imagine capitalized messages as people screaming are the 10 year olds. I see it as a form of communication, as any other, only capitalized. - I mean, what else would I be doing in the trading chat, anyway? Do you not want me to get people's attention. It's like going to a market and everybody's whispering, because they get kicked out for shouting.

What's even more ironic is going to trade chat getting the boot for something and coming here to argue with potential buyers about things they and DE don't like that got you kicked in the 1st place and wondering why. Now that's irony~

Major problem with trade is not fixable. In involves there being many people in trade chat with many things to sell. When adds get large, you have to read every little thing to figure out what they're peddling... when 5 people so this at once, what you're reading is suddenly gone.

Caps didn't really do much other than create a focal point in the gibberish.. and became the same cluster f as not using caps when the same thing happened.

you got what you deserve

Your opinion is flawed. You cannot judge someone's age and IQ from their decision to make use of a key that is built into their keyboard.

Tough, DE do as do most players. This isn't an "Open market" it a market regulated by DE. for the benefit of the majority _not_ the individual.

Cite a source that proves you have the majority's support. No, trade is very much an open market. An Open Market doesn't necessarily mean a market without restrictions whatsoever.

Caps lock makes your spam more visible and pushy than those of others in tradechat. It also fills out more space so that it is harder to identify things at all.

People who argue for being allowed to use capslock in tradechat do so because they think they should be granted this little advantage over others while they do not realize that then in no time almost everybody would just use capslock and this would make the quality of trading worse for everyone. Therefore I come to the conclusion that they must be low iq and immature. I hope that explains it to you.

How is it an advantage when everyone is capable of using it? Oh right, it isn't. Cite a source proving it is harder to identify things when players type in all caps.

I'm sorry I didn't know the kicker bots or whatever they are read minds and knew how long you have been on and surely didn't mistake you for a plain old ALL CAPS USER~

ACCORDING TO THE PEOPLE HERE RIGHT NOW SAYING IT! ALONG WITH DE KICKER THING!

What's even more ironic is going to trade chat getting the boot for something and coming here to argue with potential buyers about things they and DE don't like that got you kicked in the 1st place and wondering why. Now that's irony~

Wouldn't be an issue if all-caps wasn't banned.

Good job, you have the support of ~10 people. I guess that means your shared opinion should become the law of the game. /sarcasm

Kickbots/chat filters can be wrong. A while back "homo" was banned and it was unbanned after some players pointed out how discriminatory it was to ban "homo".

Are you unaware that you guys do not make up the majority of the potential buyers in this game?

I'm pretty sure it says you'll get kicked for typing in all-caps. As for those who get kicked for typing in all-caps, maybe they should come back after a lesson in Internet Etiquette 101.

The idea that typing in all caps is rude is not one that exists everywhere. It doesn't even exist in most places.

Cite a source that proves you have the majority's support. No, trade is very much an open market. An Open Market doesn't necessarily mean a market without restrictions whatsoever.

How about the fact that in this thread (cross-section of the player base) you have virtually no support and the first post telling the Op that all caps is spam has 52 up-votes compared to the OP's 10.?

1:5 ratio at best seems obvious enough to me.

Edited by SilentMobius

How about the fact that in this thread (cross-section of the player base) you have virtually no support and the first post telling the Op that all caps is spam has 52 up-votes compared to the OP's 10.?

1:5 ratio at best seems obvious enough to me.

There are far more players in this community, than just those of us who choose to use the forums. Even on the forums, there are far more than 50 players. So are you saying you have no source?

There are far more players in this community, than just those of us who choose to use the forums. Even on the forums, there are far more than 50 players. So are you saying you have no source?

I'm starting to think you are a troll. There is no way that any person who has used the internet for any length of time would think using all caps is accepted by more than a tiny minority.

Wouldn't be an issue if all-caps wasn't banned.

Good job, you have the support of ~10 people. I guess that means your shared opinion should become the law of the game. /sarcasm

Kickbots/chat filters can be wrong. A while back "homo" was banned and it was unbanned after some players pointed out how discriminatory it was to ban "homo".

Are you unaware that you guys do not make up the majority of the potential buyers in this game?

The idea that typing in all caps is rude is not one that exists everywhere. It doesn't even exist in most places.

It's not banned? if it were banned you wouldn't be able to do it ANYWHERE and would suffer repercussions for said CAPS LOCK. Also 10 people? either your new to the net in general or new to the net in general. If you think this is a small outlook on caps lock then obviously you are indeed "new to the internet". Also apparently it IS some form of law enforced when it can be. It doesn't matter how big we are? DE apparently doesn't like it, we don't like it, A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT! But I find it funny you would bring up a point like that considering atm your the minority. Sure we don't make up the majority? but apparently your not familiar with how a lot of people feel about CAPS LOCK once again if you think this is a small outlook on it. 

I'm starting to think you are a troll. There is no way that any person who has used the internet for any length of time would think using all caps is accepted by more than a tiny minority.

I thought that too...until you see the mofo might be serious so probably likes to disagree for disagreements sake. That or just thick...

I'm sorry, I didn't know humans could read minds and that they instinctively knew about the inexplicit rules. I'm also sorry for also making one single capitalized sentence, that was shorter than 2/4 of my index, and I'm a tall one.

Nobody ever wondered why. However, we did wonder why there wasn't a better solution. That we did. Does that make it ironic? No. Not by the slightlest. I think you skipped this entire thread, and just nitpicked on a few posts to try and prove what everybody's trying to prove, and that is already stated on my original post: Capitalized messages are spam, garbage, etc., regardless of the message itself.

If you were so kind to bring up an interesting, unique point, I'd gladly discuss it with you, but for now, that doesn't seem to be the case, much like  the entirity of this topic.

Edited by JRMC

Why? Because I happen to disagree with your opinion? Funny, yet again you guys assume you're the majority despite having no reason to believe that to be the case.

It's not banned? if it were banned you wouldn't be able to do it ANYWHERE and would suffer repercussions for said CAPS LOCK. Also 10 people? either your new to the net in general or new to the net in general. If you think this is a small outlook on caps lock then obviously you are indeed "new to the internet". Also apparently it IS some form of law enforced when it can be. It doesn't matter how big we are? DE apparently doesn't like it, we don't like it, A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT! But I find it funny you would bring up a point like that considering atm your the minority. Sure we don't make up the majority? but apparently your not familiar with how a lot of people feel about CAPS LOCK once again if you think this is a small outlook on it. 

I thought that too...until you see the mofo might be serious so probably likes to disagree for disagreements sake. That or just thick...

It is banned, within the confines of tradechat. Hence the auto-kick. You're assuming your the majority when you have yet to prove that to be the case.

Or maybe I just disagree with you because I disagree with you. I have looked and looked and have yet to find a legitimate reason for the hatred some of you show towards all caps typing. Your reasoning is flimsy at best, and based on misinformation at worse. The constant appeals to majority aren't helping either.

Why? Because I happen to disagree with your opinion? Funny, yet again you guys assume you're the majority despite having no reason to believe that to be the case.

It is banned, within the confines of tradechat. Hence the auto-kick. You're assuming your the majority when you have yet to prove that to be the case.

Or maybe I just disagree with you because I disagree with you. I have looked and looked and have yet to find a legitimate reason for the hatred some of you show towards all caps typing. Your reasoning is flimsy at best, and based on misinformation at worse. The constant appeals to majority aren't helping either.

My opinion? It's the opinion of the vast majority who have used the internet for any length of time.Cmon man, you know this, stop trying to be difficult.

it's a trade chat much like a market. it's not normal conversation so ALL CAPS should not be considered yelling/shouting/offensive and is used in advertisement all the time. i believe this new rule actually punished more legit users that accidentally pressed caps on their KB rather than spammers who continue to spam regardless.