Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Experience With Tera Steam Release So Far... (This Is In Off Topic So Don't Even Think About It)

StinkyPygmy

(To clarify again, it seems most of these issues are exclusive to the recent steam release)

You know, I've heard people give Warframe a lot of criticism over it being buggy, unstable, and hard to understand due to a lack of explanation/proper tutorial (even after the tutorial update), and for the most part I'd agree that many are fair criticisms.

But in all honestly after attempting to even get to play 5 minutes of Tera, Warframe is a shining beacon of stability and functionality.

Seriously.

Just getting past the character creation screen is a nightmare because of a long standing, known, server bug where taking too long in character creation (around 2 minutes) causes you to lose connection from the servers and crash.

Not to mention that actually managing to come up with a name is next to impossible because not only are even the most obscure names taken (seriously I tried 20+ and ALL of them were taken), there is also an unusual criteria/format names must meet which isn't explained anywhere in game.

I actually had to send off a ticket to support to find out that every name I tried was taken because there is no message telling you if a name is already being used, yet oddly enough there is a message when a name is inappropriate.

They got back to me in 4 days, but still, no one should have to go to support just to find out they were trying taken names.

I honestly thought my version of the game was so broken not even two downloads and numerous cache checks could fix it.

I did my best to see if it was an issue on my end but no dice.

Even before all that I had to do a bunch of trouble shooting with re-downloading very specific files and fiddling with my antivirus to even get the luncher to open properly.

The best part is, I still haven't played even a second of Tera because I keep running into another longstanding bug the devs appear to be in no hurry to fix: Clicking finish on character creation can cause a server disconnect for inexplicable reasons, regardless of how good your internet connection is. (confirmed by support to be a known issue thats been around for a while)

Why am I trying to play Tera you ask?

Because U17 broke WF for me and I'm still trying to find a fix.

*sobs*

TL;DR

The steam release is plagued with issues, vital information is left unexplained, good luck getting past character creation(no seriously, I hope you're one of the lucky ones), I still haven't managed to actually even play it.

Note: Yes, I checked to see if these were wide spread issues and many people are having similar problems on a variety of equipment. I did my best to check things on my end and I know, this wont apply to every one.

Hence the title "MY Experience with Tera".

To be clear, I'm not dumping on Tera as a whole, but after spending a tonne of time with support and doing trouble shooting the steam release seems very unstable and temperamental.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Tera is crazy buggy, the steam release is plagued with issues, vital information is left unexplained, good luck getting past character creation(no seriously, I hope you're one of the lucky ones), I still haven't managed to actually even play it.

What? It was fine for me. I got passed character creation and killed a few mobs in a starting location. After that I stopped playing as I am not that interested in games of such genre.

You can't take you case and try to apply it to everyone. Maybe your PC is incomparable with Tera but for most people it is fine.

Hmm.

Personally. I cant agree with you. For me Tera worked perfectly. For almost 1 year I didnt have any bug/glitches, or any other inconvenience other than some random shut-downs once ever 2 weeks. There may be an incompatibility between your PC/Laptop and Warframe/Tera since you cant play both now. 

Oh, forgot to mention.

DONT PLAY THE STEAM RELEASE. 

If you are from EU, download Tera from its own website as the Steam one is the US one. 

Edited by Elannor

What? It was fine for me. I got passed character creation and killed a few mobs in a starting location. After that I stopped playing as I am not that interested in games of such genre.

You can't take you case and try to apply it to everyone. Maybe your PC is incomparable with Tera but for most people it is fine.

I wasn't applying my case for every one. That wasn't explained in the TL;DR of course.

I can safely say that though after trawling through the official forums, steam forums and support knowledge base that A LOT of people are having MAJOR issues.

Even the knowledge base acknowledges the major and ridiculous bugs like server time out in character creation, and offers a temporary patchwork fix.

Obviously my case doesn't apply to everyone, hense it being one of the most popular MMO's out there, that however, doesn't mean its not riddled with massively fatal and weird flaws. I'm definitely not the only one and the number of people with issues on a variety of rigs is quite large.

This is why I don't put TL;DRs often, people miss crucial information and context.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Added notes and edited TL;DR for clarity.

Hmm.

Personally. I cant agree with you. For me Tera worked perfectly. For almost 1 year I didnt have any bug/glitches, or any other inconvenience other than some random shut-downs once ever 2 weeks. There may be an incompatibility between your PC/Laptop and Warframe/Tera since you cant play both now. 

Oh, forgot to mention.

DONT PLAY THE STEAM RELEASE. 

If you are from EU, download Tera from its own website as the Steam one is the US one. 

I did check all that obviously. WF suddenly being unstable is another issue, but after doing a lot of digging I can confirm these are wide spread issues. Honestly, I assumed it was my rig when i first had issues, but these are mostly KNOWN bugs confirmed on the forums/support that the devs seem to not be in any hurry to fix, which is why there are band-aid fixes in the knowledge base for them. 

Not to mention the general lack of basic features like "name already taken" Prompts etc.

Which is my biggest issue. Crashing I can handle, spending 3 days on character creation I can't.

I'm in AUS, which release would you suggest might work better in that case?

I heard the studio that published the EU release was terrible.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

I'm in AUS, which release would you suggest might work better in that case?

I heard the studio that published the EU release was terrible.

The studio is not that amazing, but the game was really stable for me all the time I`ve been playing.  

Also, I cant understand what you`re saying about the character creation.. every time I typed in a name that was taken, I would get a message saying it cant be used. Not sure why yours would be different.. only if the steam version has that much difference to it.

If you plan on buying thalers, then stick with the bugs of US version, since its 3-4 times cheaper than the EU.

But as BattleBrows said above, the only thing that bugged me with the EU version was the long download time (make sure to un-tick peer 2 peer). 

If you decide to play, and you`d like to chose Arcadia, I can play with you. 

Probably the reason you got problems naming.

Naming in Tera doesnt allow more than initially capped letter, no numbers and symbols. So names will be like mine, Elannor, John, Curiositykilledthecat. 

The studio is not that amazing, but the game was really stable for me all the time I`ve been playing.  

Also, I cant understand what you`re saying about the character creation.. every time I typed in a name that was taken, I would get a message saying it cant be used. Not sure why yours would be different.. only if the steam version has that much difference to it.

If you plan on buying thalers, then stick with the bugs of US version, since its 3-4 times cheaper than the EU.

But as BattleBrows said above, the only thing that bugged me with the EU version was the long download time (make sure to un-tick peer 2 peer). 

If you decide to play, and you`d like to chose Arcadia, I can play with you. 

Probably the reason you got problems naming.

Naming in Tera doesnt allow more than initially capped letter, no numbers and symbols. So names will be like mine, Elannor, John, Curiositykilledthecat. 

Perhaps these are prominently issues with the steam release?

Seriously, I hate it when people jump straight to making major criticisms before checking if the issues is on their side and doing some information gathering as much a the next guy.

I did a whole lot of searching and talking with people to try and figure things out and I'm not the only one having such strange issues. 

Like I said, support/forums even confirm some of the sever bugs etc themselves and apart from some reasonable fixes they suggest, others are straight up bandaid fixes for well known issues.

As far as the names go, I know what the criteria is. i actually ended up checking before I got that far, so right from the get go I was making sure I was entering valid names.

Maybe I'll try the EU version and see if that works any better.

Perhaps these are prominently issues with the steam release?

Maybe I'll try the EU version and see if that works any better.

Most probably. I dont use steam, so I cant really say for sure if its because of the US one, or just some really bad porting done by steam. (since the game is out for 3 years and there were no such major problems for me)

I`d say try the EU one and see if those kind of problems persist. 

Most probably. I dont use steam, so I cant really say for sure if its because of the US one, or just some really bad porting done by steam. (since the game is out for 3 years and there were no such major problems for me)

I`d say try the EU one and see if those kind of problems persist. 

I'll give it a shot, because I was really looking forward to trying it out.

I've gotta say, its weird how I've had more help and feedback here then I have on the actual Tera forums.

Oh you're from EU?

Yes anything from that damn EU community is bad they even messed up how the game looks in USA and KN.

Na I'm in Australia, which is why I wasn't to sure which version to go with being wedged in the middle and all.

It sounds like mostly steam release issues. Seems to have stuffed up a lot of things even 3+ months after release.

Bro this is the uuuh WARFRAME FORUMS. Talk about uh WAAARFRAAAAME not TERRRAAA.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY!

(hue)

Edited by StinkyPygmy