Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do Leaks Happen?

tehgreg

I'm not bashing anyone and I'm asking this just out of curiosity.

Prime Kubrow has appeared on PS4 and in the past we've seen Void Trader weapons before they were released. Is it because someone forgot to untick something in a build? Or maybe we should get our tinfoil hats on and presume they are intentional to build the hype?

You are daring, my friend. This thread has a certain chance of being closed, especially since you specifically mention the leaked items (but, that said, it's a DE oupsie and they can hardly blame us for noticing). Reddit might be a better place to discuss in freedom.

Aside from mentions of leaks, which are frowned upon in the forums, I don't think that most "leaks" are intentional.

We have cases of "intentional" showcasing of upcoming content. Hell, that's what they do most of the time. Nova Prime was showcased first when [DE]Steve took her to a stress-test in a Relay. Vectis Prime was shown in an Excalibur rework still picture during a Devstream. Rebecca did jump by error in a pool of water and ended up revealing what the underwater AW mode looks like.

To go to even more obvious intentional foreshadowings, the syndicate primaries were shown two weeks ago.

That's to say, when DE wants to build hype, they actually do show us stuff, or "mention" it in Devstreams, or tweet about it, and so on.

Most proper leaks either come from chatty members of the Design Counsel (this is extremely frowned upon), objects not being correctly "unticked" and appearing in the Codex, or people looking at the code.

Interestingly, one "leaked" mod was discussed recently in the Reddit AMA. I think it was Scott who said: "we added it with no intention of ever releasing it. Don't trust everything the data diggers find." So it seems, in a way, to be a troll leak.

I'm not bashing anyone and I'm asking this just out of curiosity.

Prime Kubrow has appeared on PS4 and in the past we've seen Void Trader weapons before they were released. Is it because someone forgot to untick something in a build? Or maybe we should get our tinfoil hats on and presume they are intentional to build the hype?

In these particular cases (and other similar ones, where something that shouldn't be in the game is), yes, that happened because people left those there by mistake, or "forgot to unstick it from the build", as you put it. Not all leaks happen in this manner, though.