Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Thought About Concealed Carry (Guns And Knives)

Imaru

So I carry a knife (actually knives) at all times, less for self defense than as a tool because it is part of my Leatherman multi tool. The legality of my carrying it was recently called into question because my coworkers were unsure if I could carry it. I was told that 3 inches was the legal limit for concealed carry knives. This doesn't concern me because 1) I carry it in the holster that it came with, and 2) it has a blade less than 3 inches long.

It struck me tonight that the only way for someone to know if you have a concealed weapon that breaks the law is in either a self defense situation or a show off situation (which is irresponsible if you ask me). Does this strike anyone else as a bit odd?

Not odd at all. That's how concealed weapons work. However, if you used a sharpened ruler instead of a knife. It wouldn't be considered a weapon to the jury since the intended use was not historically a weapon.

But... Why a ruler when you can have a knife, saw, file, several screwdrivers, pliers, scissors, a bottle/can opener, and a ruler?

But... Why a ruler when you can have a knife, saw, file, several screwdrivers, pliers, scissors, a bottle/can opener, and a ruler?

Well:

Saws are too big, and they're used to cut things, also amputate limbs

File: Yeah maybe, but it can't cut things.

Screwdrivers: What's the point in having one for everyday utility purposes

Pliers: Yeah, try prying open a taped box.

Scissors: Those work

Bottle/Can opener: ..... lol

Yeah, sure bring all of those. I would prefer a sharpened ruler instead.

Fact: Laws in Canada regarding Knife use for self-defense are determined whether the knife is justified as necessarily force to combat being unlawfully assaulted. Meaning, if the assailant used an object that poses equal or more threat and harm than a knife, then the use of a knife is justified. It really seems chivalrous. 

Fact: Laws in Canada regarding Knife use for self-defense are determined whether the knife is justified as necessarily force to combat being unlawfully assaulted. Meaning, if the assailant used an object that poses equal or more threat and harm than a knife, then the use of a knife is justified. It really seems chivalrous.

I live in Canada, so that's relevant to me. And I know plenty of people in my somewhat rural area that carry knives certainly larger than 3 inches. Basically as long as it isn't a spring opened blade it's legal as far as I know

Well:

Saws are too big, and they're used to cut things, also amputate limbs

File: Yeah maybe, but it can't cut things.

Screwdrivers: What's the point in having one for everyday utility purposes

Pliers: Yeah, try prying open a taped box.

Scissors: Those work

Bottle/Can opener: ..... lol

Yeah, sure bring all of those. I would prefer a sharpened ruler instead.

All of those tools listed are on the Leatherman I have. That is why o listed them.

Well at least you don't live in NZ. If you defend yourself in any way that injures your attacker, you instantly become the criminal and they become the victim, seen it a thousand times, and I personally had it happen to me as well. But that's New Zealand "Justice" for you. "The second least corrupt country in the world" [source: http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/infographic#compare ] that score is corruption in itself.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Only thing I know of is that at the very least each state in the U.S.A. follows the 2 and half in of blade.

I would like to carry something like a machete blade with no worries. I worked at Home Depot once years ago and had this couple that would be in every weekend. The wife had about 6 inch curved blades on each side and would even spin them in the store. No one looked at them twice since they were regulars. One time a guest actually called the cops about 2 months in to the job.

Cop: Any reason why you need those?

Wife: To cut down vines.

Cop: We are in a desert...

Wife: In a circus.

Cop: The employees say you are a local.

Wife: It's for bushes.

If someone knows you have a concealed weapon, than you're doing it wrong. Whether your blade is illegal or not, no one should be able to know you have one, or it defeats the purpose of concealed carry.

Personally I carry a swiss army knife, even though it's illegal to have any blade in my country. Whatever the law says, I want to be able to defend myself, and I'm not gonna wait until I got stabbed to do so.