Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Motherhood

Kalenath

point taken but he is also better trained with his code

1) She was far more available. Injured and not quite fully capable. (They don't know about Olim's sister Riana. But he is a MUCH more daunting prospect. Quais as well.)

2) They THOUGHT she would be easier to 'adjust'. Oops.

3) WHY did Sun 'adjust' Cathi? Why not just kill her as he was ordered? There IS a reason and it has NOTHING to do with mercy.

Opposition

"Tribunal?" Siri asked, not daring to move.

"You will have a chance to do what you wish, Former Guardswoman Siri." Elder Raven said with a frown. "Until then, please be silent."

"Point of order." Eliza said quietly and all eyes turned to her. "Siri and her fellows were cast out. She is not affiliated with the Royal Guard in any way. She was convicted and sentenced to death for her crimes against Orokin and the Tenno along with her fellows. They escaped before their sentences could be carried out."

"Noted." Elder Raven said with a nod to the Empress who resumed her pose of watchfulness. She raised her voice. "Tenno Jesse has asked for a formal tribunal into the future of the Tenno known as Cathi. Just so everyone is up to speed, Cathi was also one of the renegades who fled the Guard." Samuel bristled, but subsided when Siri hissed at him. "Her actions prior to that are damning. Her actions here are what we must think on."

"This cannot be real." Samuel said aloud. Siri hissed at him and he shrugged. "It cannot be."

"The concept of 'real' is all about perception." Raven said with a nod. "In this case, does it matter if we are real or not? You are here as a witness, no more. Step out of line and you will pray for death."

"What is the purpose of this?" Siri asked slowly.

"Be silent." Sun snapped from the side, his staff coming up. Siri went still.

Raven nodded to him as he returned his staff to a guard position. Jesse looked at the Lotus, her face entreating. The Lotus nodded.

"Elder? The Tenno formerly known as Catherine Gata is sorely hurt." The Lotus said quietly. "The being sponsoring her wishes her tended if possible."

"This tribunal may not decide in her favor." Raven's face was solemn as she looked at Jesse who nodded. "She is guilty of horrific crimes. She has not denied this." Jesse bowed her head and the Lotus nodded. Raven frowned but then nodded as well. "That said, Grandmaster Nikis?"

"It goes against the grain, Elder." Nikis said quietly. "But if Jesse wishes..." Jesse nodded, head still bowed. Nikis glared at the two kneeling renegades. "Don't even think about it." The Nekros strode to where Cathi's still form lay and bent to one knee beside her. A low whistle escaped him and then orange energy poured from his hand to encompass her. The slumbering Tenno jerked awake with soft scream. Her face softened a little, just a little, became younger looking. Her energy strengthened.

"Jesse!" Cathi's voice was hoarse and scratchy. "What the hell are you doing? Let me go!"

"I am saving your life as you saved mine." Jesse said softly. She stopped talking as the Lotus squeezed her hand.

"They wouldn't have killed you!" Cathi protested as she stared up at Nikis who gave a grunt and returned to his place beside Samuel and Siri. "I was ready, damn it!"

"Sponsored Tenno will be silent." Raven said firmly and Cathi froze, her eyes tracking around the hall before returning to Raven. "You will have your chance to speak." Cathi raised a trembling hand and Raven nodded. "You have a question?" Cathi nodded. "Speak."

"I know not this protocol." Cathi's voice held ancient timbres now. "I beg the tribunal not to place me with them." She glanced at Siri and Samuel who both winced.

"Can you stand?" Raven asked. Cathi rose to her feet gingerly and nodded. "Stand with Jesse. You have earned that right."

"I wish I had earned the right to turn her over my knee." Cathi said as she staggered to where Jesse stood. A soft chuckle went around the room. Jesse smiled a bit sadly and then focused on Raven who nodded.

"How do you wish to be addressed?" Raven asked when Cathi stood beside Jesse. "Catherine Gata or Cathi?" Cathi blew out a deep breath but nodded.

"Cathi, Elder." The standing Tenno said with a frown. "Catherine Gata is dead. They killed her." Siri gave a sob but no one paid her any mind.

"Very well, then. Tenno Cathi. Your actions since your time with Grandmaster Sun have been admirable, noble and selfless." Raven said calmly. "You stood with Jesse in the heart of darkness. Sun is persuasive, I will give you that. But you threw your life away for Jesse. Why?"

"It is not that simple, Elder." Cathi said after a moment. "Even now, part of me still feels affection for the ones who kneel there." She nodded to Siri and Samuel. "Part of me still feels love for the one who enslaved me. Even though I know it was a lie. Is a lie."

"No it is not!" Samuel jerked to his feet, only to be slammed to the floor by a strike from Sun's staff. "Cathi! No! We do love you!" Cathi ignored him and waited for Raven to nod to her again. Samuel forced himself back to his knees, muttering very softly.

"Love and hate are two sides of the same emotional coin, Elder Raven." Cathi said quietly. "I hate them for what they did to me. But to answer your question, Jesse did not deserve what they were going to do to her. I could not let them abuse her as they did me." She took a shaky breath. "They broke me. They made me someone new. Someone evil. Grandmaster Sun freed me from the controls, but even he cannot free me from the memories. From the horror I helped come to pass. Not and leave me aware enough to function.  Part of me wishes he had done so, but mercy is not his way."

"Tenno Jesse has asked to sponsor your rehabilitation." Raven said when she was sure Cathi had finished. Cathi shook her head and Raven shook hers. "She is hurting, Tenno Cathi. We want to help her. And you? You have earned a review of status at the very least."

"Elder..." Cathi said sadly. "I don't know my own mind. Grandmaster Sun says he disabled the controls and I believe him. But the physical pulls are still there. The one called Samuel is pulling me even now." The glare she leveled on Samuel should have rendered him to ash. "I doubt he realizes it, but I do and I bet every female Tenno here feels it."

Raven looked at Samuel and then at the others. As she did, each female Tenno nodded.

"What?" Samuel asked, confused and more than a bit scared.

"Tenno Cathi?" Raven asked and Cathi nodded. "Will you explain?"

"I will. Traitor Samuel. You were remade to seduce female Tenno." Cathi said softly. "Just as I was remade to seduce males. Sun made it so I can control the feelings, but I cannot stop them. You must put me down, Elder!" She begged. "I cannot stop it." Jesse inhaled sharply, but the Lotus gave her hand a squeeze and she subsided, her face a mask. "That is why you are attracted to me, Jesse! Please!"

"I am not." Jesse said softly and Cathi froze.

"What?" Cathi said into the sudden stillness. "I... I don't understand."

"I am not attracted to you, Cathi." Jesse said with a tiny smile that faded. "You merged with me. Did you sense arousal?" Cathi stared at her and then her face turned thoughtful. "Be at ease, sister. You did not coerce me that way."

"That is good." Cathi relaxed a little and nodded to Raven. "I apologize for the outburst, Elder. I was frightened for Jesse."

"As are we all." Raven said with a nod. "But this is not about Jesse. This is about you. 'Tenno serve, Tenno do not rule.' This is our first and most important command in the Code passed down to us from the First Tenno." Cathi bowed her head with all of the other Tenno. Siri and Samuel did not bow. "What happened to Catherine Gata, Tenno Cathi?"

"After the final victory in the melee..." Cathi swallowed hard. "She... I..."

"Take your time, Tenno Cathi." Raven said in a kind voice. "We are outside of time currently. Take what time you need." Siri jerked and Nikis glared at her until she subsided. Cathi bowed her head as Raven spoke. "Beware, Renegade Siri. Nikis is already angry with you for what you did to Elder Mavri. Do not push him. Rules and regulations hold little sway over the Grandmaster of the Dead." Siri did not move and Raven nodded to Cathi. "What happened?"

"I was ecstatic." Cathi said in a soft voice. "To be victor three years running had never been done. I was tired, the Veritux is not designed to be wielded in gravity after all." She smiled in rueful memory. "I was... I can make no excuse for myself except that I was happy. So happy. I had brought my ancestors honor and it was good." She slumped a bit. "Gemina Horati came to me in my quarters. She offered me what she called a 'celebratory toast'. I should have been wary, but I was not. I drank and... the memories get hazy. Please do not make me recount them, Elder." She begged. Jesse reached out her free hand and pulled Cathi close, holding her as the older Tenno shuddered.

"I am sorry, Cathi." Raven said sadly. "We need to know."

Cathi nodded jerkily and started to speak.

Cathi was hardly the only person crying. Jesse was fighting tears herself as Cathi wound down. The renegades hadn't moved or spoken as Cathi had recounted her tale of horror.

"...there was a flash and the next thing I knew, I was in her lap." Cathi's voice was hoarse as Jesse held her. "Everything made sense. Everything. She told me I had purpose. That she had a plan. I believed. Ancestors help me, I believed!" Cathi gave herself a shake and brushed her tears away. "I let her change me! I let her do all the rest. I helped her corrupt others. Gladly. I felt... right. It felt... good. Not until Grandmaster Sun freed me did I realize exactly how far I had fallen. What I had done. How many people who had trusted me I had hurt." She patted Jesse's arm and stepped away from the girl despite Jesse's frantic grab. "You cannot save me, Jesse. I am lost."

"No, Tenno Cathi." Raven said with a sigh. "You are found."

"What?" Cathi demanded. "I am evil! I am fallen! I am a horrid betrayer! Kill me!"

"No." Raven replied evenly. "You will need help. Physical, emotional, and spiritual help. But the blame lies with the one who tormented you for so long. Who turned you into what you became. Not with you."

Cathi spun to Nikis and snarled at him. "You hate me, Grandmaster! Shoot me!" Nikis shook his head and Cathi nearly screamed at him. "Why not?"

"Because then she wins." The ancient Nekros said flatly. "You want to let her win?" His voice was almost kind. Almost. Cathi gave a sob and Siri jerked from where she had knelt the whole time. Nikis looked at her and she froze again, but then he shook his head. "They are gonna do it now."

"We are done. Tenno Cathi will be remanded into care and aided until she passes inspection by all interested parties. Welcome back, sister." Raven turned to the throne and nodded. Eliza nodded back and vanished, throne and all. The other Tenno started disappearing. Sun and Nikis did not move. Neither did Draco from right behind Jesse and Cathi. But suddenly, those three and the Lotus were the only ones in the room except for Jesse and Cathi. And the renegades.

"What?" Cathi pleaded, staring at Jesse and the Lotus. The masked woman responded.

"No one wanted to give you the chance, Cathi." The blue and purple garbed woman said with a small, sad smile. "Tenno are just as judgmental as humans at times. Of course, you earned their ire. Jesse asked us to give you the chance to earn your redemption." Cathi's eyes went huge and she stared at Jesse who nodded.

"You will only get one chance, Cathi." Jesse would not meet Cathi's eyes. "But you threw your life away for me. I owed you for that."

"Jesse..." Cathi was crying as Sun and Nikis stepped to her side. They took hold of her and vanished. The Lotus smiled at Jesse and vanished as well. Draco looked at the two renegades and slowly raised a hand and drew it flat across his throat. He patted Jesse's shoulder and then he was gone. Neither Siri nor Samuel moved as their weapons reappeared on their warframes. Jesse slowly stretched, arching herself carefully.

"Okay." The young Cyberlancer said mildly, her head bowed. "It has been forty seven seconds in the real world and my business is done. Feel free to try now." A pair of golden Ninkondi appeared in her hands, held in a ready stance.

"Jesse, we are here to help." Samuel said slowly. Siri did not move.

"No." Jesse rasied her head and both of the others recoiled from the look in her eyes.. "You are here to take me back to your dreamscape to be seduced and  brainwashed into service to your *@##$ mistress." She paused. "Oops, I think I might not have given Cathi back everything. Oh well." Her grin was feral.

"What did you do?" Siri asked, her tone speculative. "This... wasn't real."

"It was real enough." Jesse retorted evenly. "I wanted to make sure that some piece of Cathi survives what is about to happen." Siri stiffened, but Jesse didn't move. "You scum have no clue. She was a good Tenno and now she has the chance to be one again. I guess... all of you were once. Now?" She spat. "She can be saved. You can't."

"Jesse..." Samuel worked to keep his voice calm. "You are not a Warrior."

"So?" Jesse asked conversationally as her Ninkondi spun. Her kata was perfect. "Why would that stop you?"

"We don't want to hurt you." Siri said softly, slowly rising to her feet. She froze as Jesse laughed. It was not a nice laugh. Indeed, the only proper word for it was 'maniacal'.

"I am not the one who is about to get hurt." Jesse's voice was a terrible thing. Both renegades froze solid as a warframe appeared around Jesse. It was a Trinity with a Meridian helmet. Not a Prime. Her Ninkondi went to her back. A four barreled shotgun simply appeared in her hands, the Vaykor Hek whining as it chambered rounds. A pistol appeared on her hip, a Sicarus Prime. She stretched again, but her aim didn't waver. "My mind. My rules. Now... where were we? Hmmm..? Oh yes." She mused as Siri and Samuel looked at each other. "You want me to be a willing slave for your mistress' appetites as you are. I think I am going to quote Cathi." Her voice hardened.

"Go **** yourselves."

Before either of the others could reply, she opened fire.

"Holy crap."

Nikis, Sun and Draco all said the exact same thing as they watched Jesse charge the two renegades. They could watch, but no more. This view was one way. That was good considering the sheer amount of stuff being thrown at the two renegades from the depths of Jesse's furious mind. Energy, projectiles, grenades, traps, spikes of dark matter, in once case a teddy bear? When that hit Siri's blocking Skana, the small stuffed animal exploded with the force of an Ogris rocket, throwing the Nyx to the side as the Oberon dashed forward to meet Jesse's charge. His Bo staff met her Ninkondi in arcs of power, both seeming equally matched in the deepest recesses of Jesse's mind.

"No!" Cathi screamed as the Lotus held her tight. "Jesse! No! She cannot win!" She was slowly being wrapped in energy, energy that was solidifying around her. The Lotus held her tight.

"There are many ways to win, Cathi." The Lotus held her. "Rest now. We will try to recover the rest of your energy, separate you from the one who held your reins. For now? Your part in this is done. But your struggles have only begun."

"No... No, no, no..." Cathi was begging as she lost consciousness. The Lotus held her as the energy solidified into a metal pod. Her face slowly lost its fearful cast as she sank into slumber. The Lotus patted the pod and then moved to join the three male Tenno watching the battle.

"Ow!" Nikis actually gasped as a spike from Jesse's mind arced up behind Samuel and impaled him in a very painful place for a guy. He pulled himself off in time to avoid the three more that flew up at him. But that maneuver left him in Jesse's reach. Ouch. "Like mother, like daughter. Don't piss her off."

"Don't need to tell me that." Draco agreed, wincing as Jesse's Ninkondi connected multiple times to the Oberon, her final strike of the kata sending him flying. "Soon now."

Jesse jerked to face the Nyx Prime, just a hair too late. Mental energy flew from Siri to slam into Jesse. The Cyberlancer's shields held for a moment, but she wasn't a Warrior. Her shields were not up to withstanding such an attack for long. Then everyone hissed as a beam of energy connected Jesse to Siri and the Nyx recoiled in apparent pain.

"Link. Good girl." Nikis growled in hungry approval as Siri fled, Jesse's power holding her. The Cyberlancer pursued, her Ninkondi flashing.

"She only managed one binding and she can't keep it up." Draco said softly. The others shook their heads in unison. "She doesn't have the gear or the stamina. She is not a Warrior but she is a credit to her teachers."

"Even Gemina taught Jesse well." Sun replied. The other looked at him and Sun shrugged. "I hate Gemina too and would gladly see her dead. We all have reason to feel that way, but Gemina is good with her chosen melee weapon."

All of the watchers sighed as Jesse was struck from behind by energy from Samuel. She jerked and her Link vanished. Siri redoubled her attack and Jesse fell back, her guard up. But she was visibly weakening now.

None of the others spoke as Samuel and Siri stepped close, melee weapons flashing to beat the young Cyberlancer's defenses down. Jesse missed a block and then another. Her Ninkondi went flying and she struck a guard stance with fists. The other two gave her no chance, lashing her with staff and sword from outside her reach. She dodged as best she could, but it was a foregone conclusion.

"I...really hope Janet never sees this." The Lotus said quietly as Jesse fell to lie still. Siri and Samuel both approached cautiously, but Jesse was out. Her warframe and weapons vanished and she lay in a bloody heap.

"Janet knows." Nikis said softly as the scene faded to black. "Jesse hurt them both bad. Good girl." He bowed his head. "I still can't believe you and she planned this." He accused Sun.

"Not all of it. Most of it. She had a concise and coherent plan." Sun replied without heat. "What was I going to say? We need this finished."

"She is the best chance we have to end this threat." The Lotus said softly turning to scrutinize Cathi where she lay. "I will be ready."

"We will be ready." Sun replied calmly. Draco and Nikis nodded.

"When Jesse calls the thunder, we will rain hell."

Edited by Kalenath

Oh boy I just hope they remember to watch out for the crimson and royal blue excal prime coming from the other direction when they begin bringing the thunder... because I will be bringing some thunder of my own......

Edited by evafan002

Oh boy I just hope they remember to watch out for the crimson and royal blue excal prime coming from the other direction when they begin bringing the thunder... because I will be bringing some thunder of my own......

There will be room for LOTS of thunder.

The foe they are going to face will need a LOT of killing. Good thing that is what Tenno do best. Even Jesse.

There will be room for LOTS of thunder.

The foe they are going to face will need a LOT of killing. Good thing that is what Tenno do best. Even Jesse.

Excellent... my rifle is loaded and my Gram that i affectionatly call the "Buster Sword" is ready too

Edited by evafan002

Perchance to Nightmare

"What the hell?" Gemina gasped as Siri and Samuel both recoiled away from the pod Jesse lay in.

"I don't know." Siri said weakly as she sat back. Samuel rose and stalked back up the ramp to the control area without  word. Gemina looked at where he had been and then at Siri who shook her head. "I don't know. We entered Jesse's mind as planned. But... She was alone. Or... I think she was. She was... angry. I need to check Cathi. Jesse is back in the dreamscape and... she is restrained. Do not let her loose. She will kill herself if we let her."

"What happened? Are you all right?" Gemina asked, concerned.

"No." Siri slumped in place. "Jesse... proved difficult. She made an odd illusion. I have no idea why. There were a bunch of copies of people we know. Then they all vanished and she fought us. We won, but... she fought hard. Gem... I need to check Cathi." She rose and staggered to Cathi's cylinder, scrutinizing it. "Everything looks right."

"What are you looking for?" Gemina asked.

"Cathi was there in Jesse's mind, Gem." The Nyx said with a sigh. "I don't know how or why, but Cathi was there. I felt her. Jesse said that they merged minds to free themselves from the mistress' grasp."

"They what?" Gemina demanded, horrified. "What did that do to Cathi?"

"Jesse said she was dying, but it has to be some kind of trick." Siri sat back and gave herself a shake. "I am no healer, but all the readings are in the green. Her mind is here. So..." She shook her head. "We are ready to begin with Jesse. Go easy, Gem. She is upset."

"I know." Gemina said sadly. "She fought hard?"

"If she had been a warrior, neither of us would have survived." Siri replied. Gemina stared at her and Siri shrugged. "Makes me glad we decided on her instead of either of the others. Her code is disabled. For now." She slumped a bit and then knelt into seiza. "I need to rest. That was very odd and very painful. Go easy, Gem."

"We need her." Gemina said softly as she moved to kneel by Jesse's prison.

"We need her alive and sane." Siri retorted as Gemina placed her hands on the metal surface. The Equinox turned to stare at the Nyx, but Siri was already meditating.

"What the hell did you do, girl" Gemina asked nobody. Of course there was no answer. She slid into the dreamscape and paused. Jesse wasn't alone. Indeed, she wasn't visible. But she was restrained.

"Ah, Jesse... There was no need for that." The seated luminous woman was stroking a fleshy pod beside her gently. "Easy, Jesse. Be easy. Hello Gemina."

"Mistress." Gemina bowed with a smile. "What happened?"

"I am not entirely sure." The remnant of the woman who had begun all of this said sadly. "Siri and Samuel's memories do not make a lot of sense. Jesse's mind was ordered, but... It did not make a lot of sense. Dreams rarely do, but that made less sense than any I have seen."

"How so?" Gemina sat beside her mistress. "May I?" She asked. The mistress smiled and Gemina reached out  a slow hand to touch the pod. She paused on feeling what she did. "Ow. She is angry."

"I am calming her, but it will take some time. This is gentle, relaxing. She will relax eventually." The mistress replied. "We must not stress her more."

"She will lash out." Gemina agreed. "So, gentle it is. Any idea how long? We are en route to the facility now."

"Hard to say." The mistress was sad. "She is exhausted, poor thing. She hurt Samuel and Siri. Gemina... she was telling the truth about Cathi. What we have is less than half of Cathi's energy. We can shelter it, hold it, but... It is too little to rebuild."

"Cathi is dying?" Gemina felt horror rise. The mistress nodded. "I...no." The mistress reached out a hand that Gemina took. Calm wafted over the Equinox and Gemina sighed sadly. "So Jesse takes Cathi's place?"

"Cathi will be missed." The luminous woman said gently. "We will not forget her. But yes. The alterations will not be as extensive. Jesse is not fully grown yet and has not worn a warframe anywhere except in her dreams."

"So... We need facilities to alter her." Gemina said with a sigh. "We cannot do that here. We do not have the resources on this ship."

"Once you free me, you will." The mistress said with a smile. "We can start the preliminaries now. Are you ready?"

"Siri said not to release Jesse, mistress." Gemina said slowly. The luminous woman looked at her. "I am not sure why."

"Siri is a worrier, but she is rarely wrong about mental things." The energy form frowned.

"You are right." Both of them went still as Jesse appeared in front of them. The pod... deflated. Her face was calm, but her eyes... Her eyes were wrong.

"Jesse." Gemina swallowed hard as the luminous woman rose. "Girl, don't do anything rash."

"Oh, I am not going to kill myself, Gemina Horati." A sly smile crept across Jesse's face. "I will help you people." Her tone was in direct contrast to her words. Mocking. "I will do what you wish. All of what you wish."

"You absorbed some of Cathi's ability to control the dreamscape." The energy woman said with a frown. "This is... not a good idea girl."

"No?" Jesse asked, to all appearance innocently. Except for her eyes. "And angering every single Tenno who is alive and aware now was a good idea?" She sounded honestly curious.

"The Tenno need direction, Jesse-" Gemina broke off as Jesse flipped a finger and raw power slammed into her. She rode it, not moving, but the sheer power...

"You really should have heeded the warnings. We both tried, but you have to be stupid." Jesse said quietly, not taking her eyes from the energy form. "If you had heeded them, this wouldn't hurt so much. But now? Now I can have some fun."

"Jesse!" The energy form said sharply. "Don't!"

"Go ahead and stop me!" Jesse snapped. "If you can!"

That was the only warning they had before the world fell away.

One, two, Jesse's coming for you.

Gemina was in a ready stance as she became aware of her surroundings. She stood in a tiny room. She wore no warframe and had no weapons.

"What the hell?" Gemina demanded as she scrutinized the room. It was a cell. The walls, floor and ceiling were painted in Grineer colors. She focused her mind, trying to summon her warframe, but nothing happened. "Nice, Jesse, but this isn't real."

No? The word came from nowhere. Jesse was darkly amused. Then I guess this won't hurt, will it?

The door of the cell slammed open and two hulking Grineer stormed in. Gemina tried to fight, but her muscles were not working right. Or, she was far weaker than she should be.

"Stupid base." One of the Grineer slapped Gemina across the head and she could not resist as they carried her from the cell. The trip wasn't long. In moments, she was lying on a table. Restraints clamped into place and she could do nothing but writhe as brutal looking machinery started to close in.

"Jesse!" Gemina said sharply. "This is not funny!"

Not meant to be. Jesse retorted. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. For now? Have fun. Tengus will entertain you while I talk with your friends.

Something stung the restrained Tenno on the back of the head and energy flared around her skull. Gemina felt sick. But the feeling faded. Gemina swallowed hard as a hulking Grineer who wore a mockery of a medical tunic strode into the room. He did not look at her.

"Subject 374-A6. Implantation of organic matrix was successful. Growth is as planned." The Grineer said with a grunt. "Starting brain dissection at 0945."

He turned to face the table and Gemina swallowed as a sharp looking thing appeared in his hands. Her power did not answer her and she could only scream as he stepped forward and started to cut.

Three, four, Better lock your door

Fred had not been having a good day. He didn't like this. He was a specialist, true. But this whole warping thing was not his idea of a good time. He had always been good at sneaking places and 'acquiring' things that the mistress needed and...

He jerked, he had fallen asleep!

"No!" Fred swallowed, staring around the odd room. The metallic walls were painted blue and shades of gray. This was the dreamscape. He knew the feeling. He wore a bodysuit instead of his warframe and held a Lato. "Dang it. Wake up, Fred. I need to keep the ECM online or we all die. Wake up, damn it!"

"Don't worry." A familiar voice sounded from nearby as a young looking Tenno girl appeared nearby. Jesse! "This won't take very long at all. Dreams don't."

"Jesse?" Fred froze. This was not planned for. He hadn't been the one who was supposed to 'indoctrinate' the girl. Samuel was always better at such and Fred left that to him. Such things always left the Excalibur feeling...dirty. He slumped a bit and spoke from the heart. "I... I am sorry."

"For?" Jesse asked softly, her eyes... calmer.

"This whole thing feels wrong." Fred admitted. "I am one of the newer recruits and I..." He slumped. "You cannot trust me. Cannot trust any of us."

"Maybe we were wrong." Jesse said in an undertone. Fred looked at her and she sighed. "This is going to hurt, Fred."

"Whatever it is, it is no less than I deserve." Fred said as he knelt in seiza. "Don't trust Samuel." Jesse looked at him and he sighed. "He likes what he is. He may say he doesn't but he does."

"And you don't." Jesse said softly. Fred shook his head. "This is set, Fred. There is no way to stop it."

"Then don't." Fred said sternly. "Don't hold back, Cyberlancer. Do what you have to. Is Cathi...? I heard what Siri said. Can you save Cathi?"

"I don't know." Jesse admitted. "We are going to try."

"Good." Fred took a deep breath and smiled at the girl. "No matter what, Jesse. It has been... an honor to meet you."

Jesse looked at him, smiled sadly and vanished.

"Thief!" A shout went up as a form in a space suit with a boxy helmet strode into the room. He knocked the Lato form Fred's lax grip, the Tenno hadn't bothered to raise it. "You dare to steal from the Corpus?"

Fred did not resist as other forms in the same garb entered and took his arms to drag him to pain. Indeed, he was smiling.

Five, six, don't mess with Nyx.

Siri jerked as her meditation was disrupted. She scowled and stretched out her legs on the dreamscape. But what happened next...

"I am very disappointed in you, girl." A familiar form appeared in front of her. Another Nyx Prime. No... Not a Nyx Prime. Nyx! The First! "So very disappointed."

"I..." Siri went still, no... She didn't go still! She couldn't move! She couldn't access any of her power! She couldn't manipulate the dreamscape!  "No!"

"A certain amount of pride in one's skill is acceptable, Siri." Nyx was actually tapping her foot! "But that? You just assumed that you would be able to handle anything that was thrown at you. You didn't even bother to ask for backup. Did you?" Not really a question. "Of the stupid, excrement for brains ideas, Siri... that one takes the cake."

"This isn't real." Siri managed to gasp. "This can't be real!"

"No?" Nyx asked with a shrug. "Ah, then we get into what is real. Your silliness and stupidity was real. Okay, sure. You managed to take control of Gemina Horati easily enough. And then you just walked into her mistress chambers' filled with the righteous fury of the boneheaded?" Nyx shook her head, a disgusted sound coming from her closed helmet. "She managed to take control of a captain of the guard but you were so much better? So much stronger?"

"I..." Siri felt tears started to fall. "No. That is not what happened."

"You and I are going to have a long talk about ethics, Siri." Nyx waved a hand and Siri found herself kneeling in seiza. Nyx knelt in front of her. "I can see you being proud. I can see you being naive. I can even see you being stupid. Because you were. But sleeping with Gemina when you suspected she was being manipulated was a bad idea, Siri. A very bad idea. I don't know of a single one of the rules I laid down for enforcers that you haven't broken. So we are going to go over every single action you have taken since you realized Gemina had been subverted. And then we will discuss them."

"Punish me?" Siri begged. Such an in-depth discussion of all of her actions could take years. Nyx was nothing if not thorough.

"Later." Nyx snapped. "So, you found Gemina acting differently and sampled her mind. A blatant abuse of power if I have ever seen one. Then you got stupid..."

Jesse had a feral smile on her face as Siri started to cry. The other Tenno had never noticed her. Then again... no one sane ignored Nyx. Even a nightmare version.

Seven, eight, you don't know hate.

Samuel never noticed. His...proclivities bothered the others. He kept them under control most of the time, so they tolerated him. He had asked Fred for a specialized program to feed into the neural link of his warframe and was well beyond any ability to notice when reality shifted around him. It had taken a direct order from the mistress for Fred to overcome his disgust and provide the program. But the Excalibur stayed as far away from the Oberon as much as he could.

Samuel did not notice until the girl he had been beating -the one with Eliza's young face- vanished from underneath his fists. She was the one who had escaped him.

"What the hell?" The renegade scowled as he looked around. He was on the dreamscape, but wore a bodysuit instead of his warframe. He said it made the feedback more satisfying, but the others all knew it was for ease of undressing.

"Not yet. Soon. But not yet." A sultry voice answered him. He went still as a Mag Prime warframe appeared nearby. She wasn't armed and did not seem physically hostile. From her tone though, she was angry. "What is wrong? Lose your toy?"

"This isn't real." Samuel said dismissively. "You are not real. Bet you are a looker though." He said with a leer as he let his power loose on her. It...didn't seem to affect her. He paused, that always worked when he wanted it to. He had been warned not to try with Jesse even through it stretched his self control to the limit. "Want a good time?"

"With you?" The Mag spat derisively. "You wouldn't be able to keep up." Samuel bristled but the Mag wasn't done. "Without pharmaceutical help, you wouldn't last an hour."

"I bet you like it rough." Samuel growled hungrily as he started forward only to pause again as the Mag laughed. Mocking him. "What?"

"Big man." The Mag said in a soft and dangerous voice. "Big scary man. You hurt little girls and call yourself tough." Samuel froze and she snarled. "Yes. I know what your mistress covered up for you. Yes. I know none of them died." She leaned forward. "No thanks to you."

"Come here, ya *@##$!" Samuel snapped as he grabbed the Mag Prime's arm, but that was the last thing that went right. Without apparent effort, she broke his gasp and had him in a wrist hold that took him to the floor.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, and I so want to hurt you.  But... I will wait and see what is left." The Mag snickered at Samuel's expression. "I am going to enjoy this, big man. You are not."

The world shifted around them both. Suddenly walls of grey stone with barred windows surrounded them. A crowd of male forms in orange coveralls appeared, all staring at Samuel as his bodysuit vanished. They started hooting and hollering, calling vile things as the Mag threw Samuel effortlessly to the dirty floor.

"Boys? Present for ya." The Mag said in a kind voice that was totally wrong from her. "He's a child molester." The crowd froze for a moment and then hungry growl went up from all around. "Thirty minutes and then the guards will come bust it up. Have fun." She stepped back to one corner as the crowd surged towards Samuel, some drawing makeshift weapons, others just brandishing fists.

"This isn't real!" Samuel screamed as he stepped into one brawny inmate's lunge to lay the man out flat with one punch. Then the crowd was on him, stabbing, slicing, biting, kicking, beating. "I am not a child molester!"

"Yes, you are." Jesse said as the Mag stepped back to join her. "Just out of curiosity, what would you have done?"

"If I was really here and not a dream?" Mag -the First- asked Jesse nodded. The Tenno in the warframe chuckled and a pair of spoons appeared from somewhere. She clinked them together. "Heat these well enough and they cauterize. They make dandy scoops for all kinds of small fleshy bits."

"And they are dull." Jesse said with an evil chuckle.

"And they are dull." Mag agreed with a matching chuckle. "Go on, girl. I got this."

She sighed contentedly as Samuel fought in the midst of the orange tide that surged around him. Jesse grinned, nodded and vanished.

Nine, ten, Never sleep again...

"Are you quite done?" The energy form demanded as Jesse appeared in front of her. "They didn't deserve that."

"Oh yes, they did. Each and every one of them." Jesse replied calmly. "But this was all for your edification." The energy form stared at Jesse and Jesse smiled. It was not a nice smile. "You push me, I push back. You want me to free you.  I will. On my terms. Take them or leave them." She pulled up a hand and an ancient looking timepiece appeared in it. "You have... one minute to decide. Then I start killing them."

"You are very good." The luminous woman said with a smile. Jesse did not move. "But you and I both know that is a bluff."

"Is it?" Jesse asked, still looking at the watch.

"Well, let's see..." The energy form shook her head. "You merged with Cathi. You learned how to manipulate the dreamscape from her. Your illusions are very good. But for all her skill and experience, Cathi was not the mistress of this realm. I am. Minute is up. And so is your play time, child."

She raised a hand and energy surrounded Jesse, pulling her in, holding her. It was gentle, but irresistible.

"I won't hurt you, Jesse." The energy form said with a fond smile as Jesse struggled. "I will use you, but gently. You will be one heck of an asset for my rebuilding of the Empire in its proper order. But first? I will be free."

"Be careful what you ask for." Jesse snapped as she fought the bonds holding her. "You just might get it. I won't let you win."

"Ah, Jesse." The energy form said with an exasperated sigh. "I already have."

Edited by Kalenath

When I read the orange overal scene I was expecting a role reversal..
But I'm ok with him getting the Sh*t kicked out of him by hardened Criminals.

*note to self*
"if alternate dimensions exist, stay away from MAG"

Edited by BaIthazar

When I read the orange overal scene I was expecting a role reversal..

But I'm ok with him getting the Sh*t kicked out of him by hardened Criminals.

*note to self*

"if alternate dimensions exist, stay away from MAG"

Oh, they will do more than just KICK. But this IS a public forum.

And... Probably wise.

Edited by Kalenath

"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."

That popped into my mind while reading this. One of my favorite scenes from that movie, right after the "Ideas are bulletproof" part.

Edited by Shadow977

Oh, they will do more than just KICK. But this IS a public forum.

And... Probably wise.

Insert maniacal laughter here.... or to put it in the way that well and truly freaked out one of my friends.... Come out come out wherever you are you orokin idiots.... I Just wanna give you a hug... BEFORE I END YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE!!!!!!

Edited by evafan002

"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."

That popped into my mind while reading this. One of my favorite scenes from that movie, right after the "Ideas are bulletproof" part.

Hugo Weaving is an AMAZING actor. Show me ANYONE else who could have made a wooden mask so expressive.

'Who is but the form, following the function of what and what I am is a man in a mask.'