Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Ideas To Improve Enemy Ai

uki_bs

First of all, sorry if my english sounds weird, it isn´t my native language.

I don´t know you, but I think that the enemy armies (corpus and grineer) doesn´t act totally as one.

I know, it´s not easy to program AIs, and the grineer have the excuse of attacking with the power of their sheer numbers.

But there is a kind of soldier that I see acting totally as it shouldn´t, the sharpshooters.

Balistas and sniper crewmen come running to us with the other troops, when they should wait on high and advantegeous positions for a good shot.

And there are the two things that should help to that. First, spamming  them on these positions. The new parkour and the syndicate medallions have shown me the amount of the high and secret places that the maps have and the lack of use that DE make of them. Damn, you have put a lol off effort making them. Take advantage of that.

And second, and AI more focused on waiting int a position until having the enemy on sight. That should make these sharpshooter as annoying, and maybe deadlier, than the ones of the most shooters.

Antoher thing, the Ramparts. They can be very dangerous when grineer use them. If only they used more than 1/10 of them...

And these are my ideas to make our enemies a little more competent, or disciplined.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing is about their weaponry. Yeah, it´s design, not AI, I know. The thing is while some of the most powerful weapons of the game are Grinner/Corpus design, they don´t use them at all.

Well, we could say that they are prototypes. They are expensive and they still need some testing. But, God, I think the Tenno have tested them more than enough.

I would like to see some Grinner soldiers with the Khom or the Hek, or some Corpus ones with the Penta or the Opticor.

Well, when you develop a new weapon is because you are searching new ways to get over your enemies. You spend a lot of time and resources to make that weapon.

Because of that is stupid to simply don´t use it when you have the weapon ready to use. It can happen that the weapon is a failure and the development has been abandoned, but we are actually talking about some of the weapons of the games, weapons that have prooved to be very good doing their job.

For us, the player, would be a greater and more varied challenge, watching with fear the light of the Opticor seeking us before the true shoot comes, or forcing us to be avoiding the Penta grenades that so much damage have done to us in our own hands.

More than that, that would give me a greater sensation that they are actively trying to defeat us, the Tenno, instead of simply send more and more troops to get slaugthered at our hands.

Whatch it in that way, in each raid the Tenno do in enemy installations, a cell of 1-4 of them use to kill hundreds of soldiers, probably without casualities and probably using the weapons that I have mentioned. If you were the commander of these soldiers, what would yo thougth about that? Wouldn´t you consider that something has to be done to fix that?

Would rather fight G3 Type units than all this random crap that can do nothing to me until it outscales me to the point its not even a fight anymore.

That sounds very nice, less but more smarter and dangerous enemies. However then you will get a lot of salty comments how it will decrease the fun because you are not fighting armadas of enemies.

Count me in for this. Hordeshooter faction will disagree.

Well, that's an interesting perspective, but it doesn't fully answer the question. What would be the point of changing any of these things?

Take, for instance, your AI changes. Now take Saryn or Excalibur or Loki or even Nova and put them into the situation. Optimal sniping position? Won't do much if you can't see the enemy. Or you don't have a gun. Or instantly dissolve. Or move and fire at an eighth of your regular pace. Or get cut in half by a "melee" ability you can't cover from. And it's not limited to just abilities. First off, almost every gun in the game can "snipe" just as well, and does way more damage. In fact, so much damage that the enemies die in 1 or less (mostly less) seconds without fail. Even if you give enemies better weapons, better tactics and better gear, they don't remain active long enough to use them because we're just too powerful for them to compete with anything other than hard capping. None of these are bad ideas, and I hope they can be implemented someday, but as of now all it will do is add extra lag to my toaster laptop and make people whine a little more.

The AI needs to be a bit faster on the uptake. I have had times where I dash through the door, bullet jump and glide across the room and they are STILL looking at the door for a couple seconds before realizing I am behind them. It would be nice if they would use cover better so we had a point to the jumping around and the speed. Seriously, how many times have you wiped out an entire wave in a couple second who were standing around like idiots with perfectly good cover around them? They have the self-preservation of lemmings.

Ah, ok. Sorry, TheBrsrKr, I thougth you were asking about mi second commentary.

Well, being specific with the sniper mood, it will be useless in some scenarios. Corridors, for example.

But there are others, for me the best in that case is the huge corpus defense/interception place, where the distance you can shoot is huge.

Imagine a lot of snipers shooting constantly at you from everywhere instead of running until they at 50 meters or whatever the range they have until they start to shoot at you.

Same with nearly every unit that is not melee. Sometimes the distance the enemy aproach to you before start shooting is ludicrously short.

And because things like that is that I think the enemy´s attitude could be improved without a major rework of the AI.

Yeah, the still will die at dozens against us, because we are the Tenno, but I want to see that at least make their best effort to defeat us, to win, instead of simply run to the slaughterhouse.

Another thing is about their weaponry. Yeah, it´s design, not AI, I know. The thing is while some of the most powerful weapons of the game are Grinner/Corpus design, they don´t use them at all.

Well, we could say that they are prototypes. They are expensive and they still need some testing. But, God, I think the Tenno have tested them more than enough.

I would like to see some Grinner soldiers with the Khom or the Hek, or some Corpus ones with the Penta or the Opticor.

Vay Hek used to use the Hek back when he was just a Hek wielding Grineer. But now Vay Hek uses a bigger Hek on Vay Hek's Terra frame that deal a Hek ton of damage. What the Hek, man?

(Jokes aside, I do agree with you on this subject.)