Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Old School Warframe

BramBlackmon

A lot of you guys don't know this because you were born right at the end of the 90's. But videogames, used to be insanely hard. They were also a lot of fun. And I've been thinking a bit about how warframe would have turned out had it been a super nintendo game, how it's mechanics would work.

The first thing would be, no more changing your stats from their set base points. Every bit of code you use for those wildly different combinations, would be code that took away from your level design. So you'd have the same avatar power at the start of the game that you did at the finish. You could still fit the large variety of characters in, but you'd have to balance them out so they didn't break certain segments of your game. you would design the levels to be equally challenging to each character, with a few unique advantages to playing one type over the other. 

And mostly, knowing full well the full range of equipment that a player is walking into a situation with, you could balance every enemy and every boss, around being challenging to those playstyles, without being unbeatable. 

The challenge would be, not in getting high statgear. But in playing a level and mastering it. things like a score, and a time completion to keep track of progress, maybe even a grade based on your overall performance.

And a million other unique touches. I'm not trying to prove a point here but it's interesting how games seem to follow similar design principles based on the other games of their generation. ((even if those design principles suck))

Oh hell yes, but that kind of challenge is un-appealing to the majority of players.

I effing love dark souls. That is my favorite game of all time. i have put more hours into that, than I have put into the past two fallout and elder scrolls games combined. Just trying different builds and allegiances alone was a good 5 months of my life.

A lot of you guys don't know this because you were born right at the end of the 90's. But videogames, used to be insanely hard.

Being born in the late 90s i still played ghost n goblins and other such games(much later on though). we also have our fair share of hard games in more recent times such as dark soul, demon souls, prinny, and well remakes of the greats like castlevania. on to the point of warframe as a super nintendo that would be so cool but then so outdated that most people would just pass it up and not even give it a chance. though it would be cool if for april fools next year they make some announcement that their gonna make a 2d warframe snes style game.

Edited by MrNukes

I like Cairan more then Artorias. He was a pretty neat boss fight though.

Manus was more difficult.

Anyway, more on topic.

Difficulty in Warframe is a tough thing to order. We don't exactly have things like a huge enemy sandbox for the levels to utilize to stay difficult. Worse yet, random level generation means you can't reall do scripted event type stuff in order to set the stage for more difficult fights.

I think a larger variation of mid-mission event needs to be set up. 

>Weaker version of the Hyena boss showing up in Corpus missions after you've defeated Hyena.

>Weaker versions of Jackal deployed after you've beaten the Jackal.

>Grineer big bads (like a dude working a power loader) added.

>Infested big bads (like a centipede creature) added.

Just random events that the player ends up 'growing' into as they play the game that spice things up.

I like Cairan more then Artorias. He was a pretty neat boss fight though.

Manus was more difficult.

I actually enjoyed Gaping Dragon (for the music).

Gywn... I was emotionally drained...

Sif... I cried.

Artorias... I cried... for my fallen Brother. You can rest now Artorias...

Capra Demon: DIE! NOW NOW NOW! DIIIIEEE!

What no love for Seath the Scaleless. That first time you fought him and thought you could win and then helplessly tried to attack him only to meet your inevitable fate only to realize the game did not end and you were instead in a cell. That had to have been a shock for anyone else who dident look at a guide.

What no love for Seath the Scaleless. That first time you fought him and thought you could win and then helplessly tried to attack him only to meet your inevitable fate only to realize the game did not end and you were instead in a cell. That had to have been a shock for anyone else who dident look at a guide.

Seath was just... meh

NOW Black Dragon Kalameet...

He makes Alduin look like a pixie.

At the time every single one of my buddies was playing. I knew it was a setup.