Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alad V Cosplay (In Progress 05-02)

Syncrasis

10 hours ago, Bibliothekar said:

*heavy breathing* This is going to be so great.

C isn't that hard when you already know Java. Biggest hurdle will be pointers and all the fun ways you can screw those up (like trying to store, or even better read, something in an uninitialized pointer, or using a pointer to a pointer instead of the pointer).

Do you plan on coming to Gamescom? I'd love to see this in real. :)

Ohh good. Yeah from what I've seen it doesn't look too bad, but I'm sure I'll find myself in one of those noob mistakes pretty quick lol. That's ok though! I look forward to learning so I can use it in future projects as well. Have always had an interest in practical effects and animatronics! 

I live in the US, and while I utterly love Germany, it will take some time to save up for. I don't know if I'll be able to go this year but I'd love to eventually. SOMEDAY

3 hours ago, NYMKOON said:

This looks great every time I see it. I too am looking into Arduino for the controls in my Lancer for the eyes and other lights in the armor. I am looking at a website called Adafruit for all the electronics and I might start to get the electronics soon. Keep up the amazing work and maybe someday you'll see a Lancer on a mission by the Queens to hunt you down.

Ahh excellent, glad you're looking into it too! I'm excited to see your Lancer complete, been lurking in your thread. Looking great so far!

I look forward to reviewing your application for the Zanuka program. I don't normally... "work" with your kind, but I'm sure I can, heh, find SOME use for you. Yes.

16 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

tumblr_o6j8wa9Hsw1r28itgo1_1280.jpg

Finished up half of the main part of the collar pepakura assembly, didn't do the bottom yet because I wanted to make sure it was the right size. I think it is!

Also pinned the backpack thing to the coat and found that the coat sags from the weight of all the polyester scales lol so I'm going to have to come up with a harness system under the fabric. Extra glad I didn't go ahead and glue all the scales back on now... I can just sew through the fabric and permanently attach the straps. 

Learned about a cool thing called a "reed switch". 
u2s5l3_01.gif

Basically, you wave a magnet over it and it completes the circuit... so I'm going to put a magnet in my glove and wave my hand over some part of my cosplay to trigger the servos I'll be installing in the collar for folding/unfolding. Much cooler and more sci fi than a toggle switch!

Looking into Arduino. I only have experience with simple code editing in a Java-like language and Lego Mindstorms from forever ago, so might be a bit of learning to do there. I need to make the collar pieces run along a curved track from inside the collar. I don't know the best way to do this yet. Also thinking about some sort of bearing/pulley system or idk we'll see

I ended up buying the Atlas gloves I mentioned earlier. They're too big but they're the right color, and thankfully they have seams all the way around all the fingers inside the gloves so I'm gonna tighten them up and see if I can't get them to fit me anyway DAMN YOU WORLD FULL OF LARGE HANDED PEOPLE

I also purchased 60 single LED lights, pre-wired, two sizes, to pepper this cosplay with. I counted over 40 single lights and a few lighting strips on this thing total. You wouldn't think there were that many on Alad. 6 in each bracelet tho bling bling

Gotta get the medallion 3D printed soon so it's here in time. Also getting the little metal details on the upper arms and the front of the box on his stomach 3D printed. 

I bought a ton of EVA foam in two thicknesses to make the coat collar and various other pieces. Will be attaching to main coat with velcro so I can have a stretchy fabric coat with a hole smaller than my head in it, while the collar just wraps around separately for attachment. 

Need to purchase materials for lifecasting my head for making the headpiece. Gonna be somewhat expensive but I'll be able to use it for future projects and I mean damn who doesn't want that option in their life?? Custom-fit face prosthetics for every occasion! *coughcough I really want to make a Scorpius face someday cough*

Bought a couple types of polyester fill and seat foam to make his pants poof and stay poofed. I am going to be absolutely miserable in that July heat........

Frustrated that it's been so rainy, it's really slowing me down. Chugging away anyway. Here's hoping everything works out!

hohoho! that wrist magnet idea of yours is going to be pretty damn sweet

looking foreward to it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2016 at 6:35 AM, Bibliothekar said:

BTW, is that the same backpack regular Corpus units wear? Because I'm still thinking about making a Corpus Tech cosplay.

Similar, but nope, they're different. 

Quick update on this project while I'm at it: I have to set the cosplay down while I get ready for a huge life change. Will continue to work on this whenever I have free time, but it's secondary to everything else in my life atm!