Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alad V Cosplay (In Progress 05-02)

Syncrasis

Yeah ok it's probably about time to start a thread about this project. 

I've been casting scales since... March I think. 

CLMffLpUAAAGw_t_zpsst890wbn.jpg

CLvwvUcWIAAm-I6_zpszbzvnpym.jpg

CFt16QjXIAAlOxW_zpsrke6lj0l.jpg

I'm done casting them all, with a grand total just shy of 350 scales. 

CQltrqFUwAEDOBr_zpsuqaw6lg7.jpg

ugghghh

Yeah so a couple weeks ago I made a mock-up without sleeves to start actually assembling this ridiculous garment.

AladWIP1_zpscu3bbzgh.jpg

Aaand current state of progress.

CQ7KEHXVEAAIjO-_zpsbczpmqez.jpg

Note that I'll be wearing a chest lump minimizing device. Waiting on my Wonderflex/Worbla to come in the mail on Monday, then I'll be able to start work on the metal edging, coat collar, medallion, and that weird box thing on his stomach. I need to pick up some craft foam to do the metal strip down his back because that's flexible, unlike my other ingredients. 

Stay tuned for updates!

Note: I hope to have the coat done for Halloween but there's no way in hell I'll have anything else done by then. This is definitely a very long-term project. I will be making the full outfit, fancy hat and working tech collar included.

[update 10/11]

More scales and test fitting

AladWIP3_zps6efgvhjq.jpg

[update 10-26]

More scales and a bit of wear and tear after travel

tumblr_nwurjyWM9t1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Re-painted and re-glued scales:

20151215_212157_zpsfxyqoyy4.jpg

Edited by Syncrasis

Are the scales metal, or just some metallic resin? I imagine that any metal, even aluminum, would get unfesibly heavy in that quantity.

The scales are made of a clear polyester resin, I painted them with two paints to give them their decadent babby-blue metallic sheen.

The coat will probably weigh around 10 pounds when it's done anyway, but that's fine!!

Edited by Syncrasis

Awwww gosh thanks you guys! No Zanuka unfortunately. Maybe I'll make a cardboard one on little wheels lol. Wow actually, a shield osprey drone would be cool as heck, someone get on that!

Senpaaaaiiiii (/ `w`)/

This really looks promising. I've been lurking on your tumblr for a while now and I'm glad to see it's coming together nicely!

Also, any tips to give for someone who wants to cosplay/make costumes but has zero/minimal experience?

WEH <3

Cosplay tips? Yeah I got tons! lol. 

The two most important things are planning and practicing. ALWAYS make a dummy mock-up in full size to test for fit, and always have at least 1/4 or more extra supplies for every single thing. Plan for screwing up and starting parts over and wasting materials. Having a body-double or a dress form helps a lot too, it doesn't have to actually fit the dress form but being able to put it on it and pin stuff onto the piece helps a lot. The one I have I got at a secondhand shop, cheap and lightweight (it's cardboard on the inside). 

Shop around for the right ingredients for your pieces, don't go with the first thing you find. Some of my favorite materials include: fiberglass, silicone moldmaking materials, various plastic resins to cast final pieces with, bondo, pepakura, wonderflex and worbla, stuff like this make it real easy to get nice solid, accurate, lightweight and durable pieces that will last you a long time and are relatively easy to work with. 

* Pepakura/fiberglass/bondo method requires a tonnn of sanding. Quite inexpensive but fiberglass application is very messy and requires good ventilation. Time-consuming process to get a good surface, but once you do, it's basically like a car and you can paint it with auto paints, and fiberglass is basically hard as a rock.

* Polyester resin casting is quite toxic and finicky with weather conditions, so I could only cast things outside on sunny, warm days. Bit expensive, and the silicone for the molds (which I got for free from my mom who had a moldmaking class a few years ago) can be expensive to get materials for but it'll last you a long long time. 

* Wonderflex/Worbla is non-toxic and easy to work with (they're thermoplastics so you just need a heat gun) but it's easy to get wobbly surfaces if you don't make sure to support it properly while it cools. It's also self-gluing so that's pretty neat. Kind of expensive though.

There's a lot of really enthusiastic cosplayers out there who make tons of tutorials for stuff. I like Kamui Cosplay for Wonderflex/Worbla tips, she uses foam for stuff too (been meaning to try that out). You can get most of your materials from hardware stores like the Home Depot and Lowes, too. 

This was just for the hard-surface stuff, but sewing is its own thing. Usually you just follow classic methods for garment-making. I like to start with a dummy mock-up with a bunch of big pieces of super cheap fabric tacked together, and sharpie in some new lines and just keep hacking it up until it fits right. Then you can use this for a pattern on your final fabric. Think about your seams a lot! Your fabric edges WILL fray, whether it's now or later, so tuck those edges under/wrap them up with over-edge stitching. A sewing machine is a huuuge time-saver and will give your pieces a professional finish (to me that's very important).

Also: EL wire is friggin awesome. So are LEDs and rocker switches. Simple wiring for effects on costumes is a lot easier than it seems, and can add a ton to your piece.

Keep a budget for your materials. It's going to add up fast. I've spent about $300 on this costume so far, most of it was in the polyester resin I used for the scales. Possibly could have been cheaper with an alternate material. Wonderflex/Worbla are pretty expensive too, so I'm using those on top of foam I have leftover from an older project to save some cost. 

Another tip: Take your time and do it right. Personally I think it's a lot more fun to work on a cosplay without a deadline in mind, and when you approach finishing it, that's when you plan to wear it somewhere. Believe me, it'll take most of the stress out of it if you're not scrambling to do all those last details! The way you finish the project is important!

If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer! 

chest lump minimizing device

Bwahahaha. :D

Looks pretty cool, I can't wait to see it finished.

Wow actually, a shield osprey drone would be cool as heck, someone get on that!

I had thought about making a Crewman cosplay and an osprey that "hovers" above me on a stick. Maybe I should start making plans. Also, I could try and build the drone around a copter - might be even better when it can fly by itself.

Bwahahaha. :D

Looks pretty cool, I can't wait to see it finished.

I had thought about making a Crewman cosplay and an osprey that "hovers" above me on a stick. Maybe I should start making plans. Also, I could try and build the drone around a copter - might be even better when it can fly by itself.

Wow, thanks for all your support you guys! You're inspiring!

Please tell me you're participating 'You Are What You Kill' costume contest.

This looks really promising.

I won't be done in time for that contest, not by a long shot. I'm hoping to have at least the coat 90% done by then though, with all the scales and trim details on it.

I just got my Worbla/Wonderflex in today, so later I'll update you with what I put together with it tonight :DD

I think I recall you posting a peek at the scales on tumblr and that got me all excited about how it'll look at the end. You're making a ton of progress, it looks great! You also look quite lovely as well.

Damn, now I want to cosplay now because of you. But who to cosplay as? D:

Edited by MissMarifire

I think I recall you posting a peek at the scales on tumblr and that got me all excited about how it'll look at the end. You're making a ton of progress, it looks great! You also look quite lovely as well.

Damn, now I want to cosplay now because of you. But who to cosplay as? D:

>:DDD

The obvious choice is Nef Anyo. I won't take "no" for an answer.

• 2 weeks later...