Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alad V Cosplay (In Progress 05-02)

Syncrasis

I don't know if this'll be taken as an insult but you even look a bit like Alad V. The costume looks great so far, regardless! ^_^

You may not be expecting this but I find great pleasure in this comment. Thank you.

But I'm short and chubby, I'd be stupidly adorable and not like Neffy at all D:

Add angry eyebrows. Tattoo them on. Strike fear in the hearts of your enemies forever.

By the way I'm going to be the shortest Alad ever... I'm barely over 5 feet tall lol. Don't let genetics stand in your way to having a great time! Cosplay is all about fun :D

And you don't have to be Nef just because I told you to tho lol <3

You could use stilts under that long coat of his. Takes some training, though (friend did this for his (Discworld) Death costume - it's really amazing). Or you make Clem. :)

That's some dedication!

Sorry for lack of updates! I've been experimenting with paints. My original process resulted in very fragile painted surfaces. I took the coat with me somewhere and came back with lots of worn off areas on about 40% of the scales. Not cool!

tumblr_nwurjyWM9t1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Not only that but my glue isn't aggressive enough... I wanted something that wouldn't destroy the fabric, but the scales are capable of peeling off fairly easily. I can't win lol

This is amazing. Man, you got the color right and everything!

I'm not at all sure if I saw right...

But it looked like the scales have holes, like for a screw or something. Couldn't you just sew them into place? Then they'd do the jingly thing too.

If not, you might still be able to, if you're willing to undo a bit and redo. Maybe not, if you're trying to crunch for time, but I think it might definitely be possible. Best of luck!

Add angry eyebrows. Tattoo them on. Strike fear in the hearts of your enemies forever.

siA7Ch.gif

:D

Not only that but my glue isn't aggressive enough... I wanted something that wouldn't destroy the fabric, but the scales are capable of peeling off fairly easily. I can't win lol

Huh, I'd thought you had sewed them on, where the small black part is.

I'm not at all sure if I saw right...

But it looked like the scales have holes, like for a screw or something. Couldn't you just sew them into place? Then they'd do the jingly thing too.

Huh, I'd thought you had sewed them on, where the small black part is.

I have two holes in each scale where the black is for that exact purpose, but they still have to be fastened down to the fabric. I actually don't want them to hit each other as I move because it will wear the paint off, sadly. Also they don't flop around in-game... in hindsight, I wish I had added some holes or loops on the backside of the scales to sew them down.

oh hm... idea: I could use a destructive glue (superglue) to attach velcro to the scales, and sew the backing on the fabric side. Worth sleeping on I think...

Edited by Syncrasis

I have two holes in each scale where the black is for that exact purpose, but they still have to be fastened down to the fabric. I actually don't want them to hit each other as I move because it will wear the paint off, sadly. Also they don't flop around in-game... in hindsight, I wish I had added some holes or loops on the backside of the scales to sew them down.

oh hm... idea: I could use a destructive glue (superglue) to attach velcro to the scales, and sew the backing on the fabric side. Worth sleeping on I think...

I see. I thought they did, but I've never had a great memory. =P

Velcro can be pretty powerful stuff, and you can get it in pretty big rolls for cheap if I recall. Finding sheets of it might even be possible, but maybe that's not a great idea. As for the paint, would clear nail polish mar the sheen? If not, it could help keep the paint on a little better.

I see. I thought they did, but I've never had a great memory. =P

Velcro can be pretty powerful stuff, and you can get it in pretty big rolls for cheap if I recall. Finding sheets of it might even be possible, but maybe that's not a great idea. As for the paint, would clear nail polish mar the sheen? If not, it could help keep the paint on a little better.

I've got a few strips of velcro left over from an older project, yeah I've always been impressed by its strength!. I'm thinking maybe if I sew the top with the holes and velcro the bottom edge I might be good. Also testing supergluing a strip of cut fabric on the backs of the scales and then gluing THAT surface to the coat, so it's fabric-to-fabric. 

Slow and steady wins the... uhh. Well, it gets the job done best, even if I don't win any races lol (or halloween contests for that matter)

I've got a few strips of velcro left over from an older project, yeah I've always been impressed by its strength!. I'm thinking maybe if I sew the top with the holes and velcro the bottom edge I might be good. Also testing supergluing a strip of cut fabric on the backs of the scales and then gluing THAT surface to the coat, so it's fabric-to-fabric. 

Slow and steady wins the... uhh. Well, it gets the job done best, even if I don't win any races lol (or halloween contests for that matter)

Sweet, so it won't cost much extra, if at all. That sounds like a pretty good plan, sewing top and velcro-ing bottom. I've no idea myself how much difference the fabric-to-fabric gluing will help, but if it works, it works =P

It may not win any races, but it'll look frikken sweet. =3

• 1 month later...

Ok so I'm still working on this project, I have finished casting and painting all my scales. I had to rip them off the coat and repaint them, and then I had to find another gluing method to reattach them (they were peeling off very easily before). 

Let me just give a shoutout to Aleene's Fabric Glue, that stuff is SUPER permanent for this sort of thing. I'll be making sure I have this on hand from now on. These scales are never, EVER coming off now!

Current status:

20151215_212157_zpsfxyqoyy4.jpg

• 3 months later...

Finally, warm days! Now I can do some FIBERGLASS

I started making the backpack thing on this project 3 days ago. this piece:

tumblr_o5uu1s9gMQ1r28itgo6_r1_1280.jpg

I grabbed the low poly model, added more physical detail to it, threw it into pepakura to get this:

tumblr_o5uu1s9gMQ1r28itgo1_1280.jpg

Coated it in fiberglass resin on the outside:

tumblr_o5uu1s9gMQ1r28itgo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o5uu1s9gMQ1r28itgo2_1280.jpg

Laid in several layers of fiberglass with the cloth on the inside for strength:

tumblr_o5uu1s9gMQ1r28itgo3_1280.jpg

Also added bondo on the outside today. It always starts out this messy ugh I have so much sanding to do now lol

tumblr_o5uu1s9gMQ1r28itgo5_1280.jpg

Gonna sand off all the high points tomorrow and see if I can get some nicer bondo put on then! Hoping to get the coat done for TennoCon loool we'll see :D