Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fallout 4: What Do You Think So Far?

izzatuw

Notice: My opinion on this topic will be pretty biased.

With less than a month to go FO4 will be released, we know little to nothing about the story post time skip but the gameplay looks like a huge improvement over FO3.

Graphics wise, we can't really say anything till we see the actual game and not base it completely off Youtube videos. It looks detailed and on par with next gen graphics but can't be considered the best.

Hype or no hype?

I'm not judging anything till it comes out. I just hope it's closer to New Vegas than 3.

I believe so, the perks require you to have a certain level of S.P.E.C.I.A.L but I believe they did remove skills.

Overall, I think it might stand above both of them pretty well, gun play seems to have improved quite a bit and this "wrapped" story seems to be the one thing they're gonna keep secret till launch so they must be pretty confident in it.

Overall, I think it might stand above both of them pretty well, gun play seems to have improved quite a bit and this "wrapped" story seems to be the one thing they're gonna keep secret till launch so they must be pretty confident in it.

I hope the gunplay is better. I'm used to Destiny's satisfying combat, but that'd probably be too much to ask.

Just remember this is Bethesda. It's not going to be the greatest combat or the greatest story.

My laptop can´t run it.

So no hype.

Same here ;_;

I hope the gunplay is better. I'm used to Destiny's satisfying combat, but that'd probably be too much to ask.

Just remember this is Bethesda. It's not going to be the greatest combat or the greatest story.

Same here ;_;

Supposedly they got help from Id software, the peeps that worked on Wolfenstein and currently Doom for help on gun play and Wolfenstein was all about combat.

Really, You'd cut a score in half just because of the way the guns handel? that's a little harsh.

It's very fair.

Gunplay is extremely important in an FPS. If the gunplay is bad/mediocre, then the overall enjoyment I get from an FPS diminishes greatly. 

Tbh the gun play looks the same but with lots of QOL improvements, ie being capable of smacking someone with a pistol, not using a slot to equip a grenade.

If the gunplay is basically you're arm being as stiff as a board with little impact to be felt, then there is no difference. 

Edited by TheErebus.

If it has the same gunplay as the last two games:

Immediate 5/10

Everything else has to be played first.

Graphics wise, it's ok. Better than F:NV/F3.

Tbh the gun play looks the same but with lots of QOL improvements, ie being capable of smacking someone with a pistol, not using a slot to equip a grenade.

It's very fair.

Gunplay is extremely important in an FPS. If the gunplay is bad/mediocre, then the overall enjoyment I get from an FPS diminishes greatly. 

If the gunplay is basically you're arm being as stiff as a board with little impact to be felt, then there is no difference. 

To be fair, it's an RPG with FPS combat. And I'm sure it will have some improvements from the last fallout.

To be fair, it's an RPG with FPS combat. And I'm sure it will have some improvements from the last fallout.

It's primarily an FPS, most (if not the majority) of the combat is done with guns.

We'll have to see if there is any improvements.

How about tossing a grenade while actually equipping a gun?

Not what I'm talking about, but still cool.

Edited by TheErebus.

How about tossing a grenade while actually equipping a gun?

It's primarily an FPS, most (if not the majority) of the combat is done with guns.

So essentially you two want it to copy CoDs combat. Yet I bet you two are the first to S#&$post when a new CoD announcement comes out.

It's what Pharen was talking about.

And don't get Destiny and Fallout mixed up.

Destiny is a FPS with mmorpg elements mixed to it.

Fallout is an RPG with FPS elements mixed to it.

So essentially you two want it to copy CoDs combat. Yet I bet you two are the first to S#&$post when a new CoD announcement comes out.

You gonna assume more things?

No, I do not want it to be like CoDs gunplay. I want it to be better. Make it impactful, make it flow nicely etc.

Also, FYI: I don't S#&$post CoD games anymore. I simply don't care about the CoD games.

Fallout is an RPG with FPS elements mixed to it.

The FPS is (once again) the biggest part of the game. It is the method of which combat is seen in. True there is also a third person perspective, but the difference in gunplay is negligible. 

And when the hell did I even mention Destiny?

The both of you are bringing in games which I have never mentioned.

Edited by TheErebus.

Eh wot? I actually love it, look at FO4's gameplay trailer, they showed the guy tossing a grenade while using a gun. A huge QOL improvement if you ask me. Requiring a hotkey just for a grenade was silly.

You gonna assume more things?

No, I do not want it to be like CoDs gunplay. I want it to be better. Make it impactful, make it flow nicely etc.

Also, FYI: I don't S#&$post CoD games anymore. I simply don't care about the CoD games.

Well Destiny and all other major shooters copied CoDs shooting systems, yet you don't have a problem with those do you? How about you make a suggestion as to how it should be then?

Seriously, "this game is bad because I don't like the gunplay", not because it's buggy, or it's broken, or it's filled with artificial difficulty.

Also fallout new vegas was released 5 years ago, give them a chance to work on the gameplay.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Eh wot? I actually love it, look at FO4's gameplay trailer, they showed the guy tossing a grenade while using a gun. A huge QOL improvement if you ask me. Requiring a hotkey just for a grenade was silly.

Well there's nothing wrong with having to equip a grenade to use it, it's not gamebreaking. I just can't believe that some people think that if a game doesn't play exactly the way they want it to, it makes it a mediocre game.

Well Destiny and all other major shooters copied CoDs shooting systems, yet you don't have a problem with those do you? How about you make a suggestion as to how it should be then?

Seriously, "this game is bad because I don't like the gunplay", not because it's buggy, or it's broken, or it's filled with artificial difficulty.

Also fallout new vegas was released 5 years ago, give them a chance to work on the gameplay.

Because their gunplay is actually good? That's why I don't complain about it. The majority of people and critics who played Destiny have all agreed that Destiny has good gunplay. 

Suggestions:

The arms must flow along with the camera movement, and gun movement.

The guns must have better impact when fired.

Done. That's all it needs. 

Did I not just say that a game that is primarily FPS needs good gunplay in order to have some enjoyment out of it? I never said or even alluded to those other problems being present in a game. If they are there, then the score goes down. But if the gunplay sucks, my enjoyment is lowered as a result. It is an aspect of the game that must be good.

I gave them 5 years to make Skyrim's combat better. No changes other than dual wielding. and "flashy executions"

Edited by TheErebus.

Because their gunplay is actually good? That's why I don't complain about it. The majority of people and critics who played Destiny have all agreed that Destiny has good gunplay. 

Suggestions:

The arms must flow along with the camera movement, and gun movement.

The guns must have better impact when fired.

Done. That's all it needs. 

Did I not just say that a game that is primarily FPS needs good gunplay in order to have some enjoyment out of it? I never said or even alluded to those other problems being present in a game. If they are there, then the score goes down. But if the gunplay sucks, my enjoyment is lowered as a result. It is an aspect of the game that must be good.

I gave them 5 years to make Skyrim's combat better. No changes other than dual wielding. and "flashy executions"

Look at the sheer scale of skyrim, when you put that much content into a game you don't really have time to overhaul everything. Would you rather have skyrim been 20 hours long, no mod support, and have a more fluid combat system?

So you have an issue with the animations, sorry, but that has nothing to do with gunplay.

Look at the sheer scale of skyrim, when you put that much content into a game you don't really have time to overhaul everything. Would you rather have skyrim been 20 hours long, no mod support, and have a more fluid combat system?

I would've rather had a Skyrim with a better combat system, yes. 

Because then, I'd have a good 20 hours worth of Skyrim with fun and engaging combat. The no mod support is BS, because I highly doubt it takes very long for them to implement it into their games.

Would you rather have a buttload of content, but with bland combat to go through, or have a good amount of content and have fun combat to get yourself into?

Edited by TheErebus.

I would've rather had a Skyrim with a better combat system, yes. 

And sacrifice the content? The reason why Skyrim wasn't as technical was because it was the turning point of HD. Look at Nintendo, they thought the WiiU would be a powerhouse, transitioning to HD was a huge step for developers. Oblivion was hardly HD, it may have had settings for 1080p but the textures definitely weren't native at 1080. Skyrim combat isn't bad, it's not innovative, but I doubt Bethesda had the time to create all new systems for that game. And honestly, It doesn't really need to be changed. There's nothing in skyrim that's truly out of date, the weapons work fine, the animations are functional and clean, and honestly apart from Dragons Dogma, which released in 2012, I haven't played any game that has outdone the combat in Skyrim, and even then, that style of combat does not suit Skyrim, nor does it function well in first person.

In the end, we have very little to go on for Fallout 4, and I hope they do something unique to there IP, not just follow a carbon copy of CoDs mechanics, like all other major FPS out there. Just because mechanics work for one IP doesn't mean all others must follow. Sure there is room for improvement, but they have improved on every game they've made so far, even if only by a little.

I haven't played any game that has outdone the combat in Skyrim, and even then, that style of combat does not suit Skyrim, nor does it function well in first person.

Really? Because Samurai Warrior is entirely in First person and has one of the best swordplay mechanics I have ever seen in a FPS game. 

You can at the very least dodge attacks. 

Hell, it doesn't even need to be that great a leap of a dodge, just a small little leap to dodge an attack, and then use a long charge animation in First person to do an attack from afar. 

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29258/?

And yes, it does work in First person. 

And yes, it greatly improved Skyrim.

Skyrim combat isn't bad, it's not innovative, but I doubt Bethesda had the time to create all new systems for that game. And honestly, It doesn't really need to be changed. 

Yes, it does need changes. It's a bland, stiff combat system carried over from a game in 2006. 

There's nothing in skyrim that's truly out of date,

Yes there is. There's the combat, and the lackluster story. 

but they have improved on every game they've made so far, even if only by a little.

The only aspects that they have improved is everything but the combat in the Fallout games. F3 had great worldbuilding and a great setting. New Vegas had a great story and awesome characters. 

But both of them have old, basic and incredibly boring gunplay that should no longer be in the games. 

Edited by TheErebus.