The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[WC] Ushtar: The Marine Tactician | 6/14/2017 - Added fulcrvm's last sketch

Rhekemi

Excellent work here sir/mam. Seems to me that the ideas that Digital take the most seriously are the ones that have been fleshed out the most ability wise and artistically speaking. With any luck and with a few interested looks from the Design Council, I feel that your fella may have a place in our arsenal. I wish you luck!

49 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

Still looks great. Praetora, like many a good game-design and visual design, doesn't get enough love.

Thanks Rhek. I really appreciate you saying that. Maybe some day we'll be able to get a screenshot of Prae and Ush shaking hands in-game.

4 minutes ago, Rehtael7 said:

Thanks Rhek. I really appreciate you saying that. Maybe some day we'll be able to get a screenshot of Prae and Ush shaking hands in-game.

I meant it, and maybe one day! There's an idea that this reminds me of that I've been meaning to bring up...but I just kind of keep pushing back all my ideas due to RL. I'll elaborate in a PM when I have time.

1 minute ago, Rhekemi said:

I meant it, and maybe one day! There's an idea that this reminds me of that I've been meaning to bring up...but I just kind of keep pushing back all my ideas due to RL. I'll elaborate in a PM when I have time.

Very excited for that!

7 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

owo include me this sounds interesting (Unless you'd prefer not to, in which case I won't push)

I tried to tag Rehtael, you, and everyone involved in Ush and Prae's concept art, but the messenger wasn't having it.

Can't seem to tag more than two members at a time, so I will see if I can start with a few then tag more in.

Sometime soon. Just really busy right now.

Edited by Rhekemi

8 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

I tried to tag Rehtael, you, and everyone involved in Ush and Prae's concept art, but the messenger wasn't having it.

Can't seem to tag more than two members at a time, so I will see if I can start with a few then tag more in.

Sometime soon. Just really busy right now.

Alrighty. I don't think I had any involvement in the concept art aside from some comments/small criticisms, but I've been pulling for Ushtar and Flora (In spoiler)

to get put into the game for ages.

Edited by Akiryx

6 hours ago, (PS4)alphacreed15 said:

Love this frame but change his 4 and 5 ability btw he seems more like a stealth frame which im cool with me

His Ulti is perfectly fitting for his theme. He's a Soldier. Specialized in Recon and Subterfuge, but still a Soldier, and his kit fits pretty much spot on.

Also, Rhekemi, I have one suggestion. For his ulti, when it allows you to cast Silent Blade on an ally, I recommend that you have it set up so that if you do so, they have 2-5 seconds to stop once they've hit that 30% health marker, otherwise it won't really do much as they'll hit it without quite knowing when, probably mid-run/jump/etc. 

Edited by Akiryx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting this rework sooner than I'd have liked as I've been working on it silently for some time, but the bulk of the changes are there. I've tried to incorporate ideas from Reddit and this forum’s feedback. Long time coming, and I’ve grown increasingly preoccupied with real life, but I promised you guys I’d update this and try and bring it in line.

The first page contains the updates, but briefly:

Ushtar Update Notes:

IED

-second half of his old dual ability has been removed.

Engage

-old dual ability name has been removed.

Fidelis

-Ushtar's new first ability encompases Silent Blade and Takedown in an Ivara and Vauban tactical selection ability, but will have only two choices as per my old idea here: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/547249-new-toggle-system-ability-duality-and-warframe-versatility/ and per this post in January: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/547847-warframe-concept-ushtar-the-marine-tactician-art-update-42016/?do=findComment&comment=6701004

-Silent Blade remains unchanged

-Takedown speed boost reduced from 40%/60%/80%/100% to 5%/10%/20%/30% (keep in mind, the entire ability's speed and power can be boosted by melee speed and damage mods, as well as warframe power mods)

-Takedown's overshield has been removed

-Takedown's 100% disarm chance (for weapons a Tenno can craft) has been capped at 75%. The chance will decrease by 7.5% for each new target if the attack is fully chained (T1 75% | T2 67.5% | T3 60% | T4 52.5% | T5 45% | T6 37.5% | T7 30% | T8 22.5% | T9 15% | T10 7.5%).

Tourniquet

-was his old 3rd, and now is his revised 2nd using the Ivara and Vauban tactical selection ability. This was suggested by Autongnosis here last December https://forums.warframe.com/topic/547847-warframe-concept-ushtar-the-marine-tactician-art-update-42016/?do=findComment&comment=6435159 and I liked it.

The ability now has an offense/defense split, Fortify and Transfuse. This will add up to a total of 4 tactical selections, mirroring Ivara and Vauban. We've only split the four selections between two different abilities (Fidelis and Tourniquet).

Zeal

-Ushtar's new third ability as I outlined here last December https://forums.warframe.com/topic/547847-warframe-concept-ushtar-the-marine-tactician-art-update-42016/?page=4#comment-6656243

Grants Ushtar an Aggro Aura. Recasting drops pick ups for allies if they can handle the aggro. Splits evenly between up to three allies.

Blade and Gun

-Largely the same ability, but with reductions since it was way OP. Slightly different synergies with his other abilities now. It allows him to use some of the proposed Command buff ideas I proposed last year as well, but I don’t feel I’ve gone far enough with it.

Time will tell.

Thoughts, criticism, comments. Yell at me for destroying Ushtar. Leggo, Tenno!

Edited by Rhekemi

Fixed some typos (wrong ability names), and some numbers.

Fortify grants 15% armor, not 30%. Zeal grants 25%. For allies the total is the same, 40% while both are active.

For Ushtar, Blade and Gun grants an additional 10% bringing his total to 50%.

Edited by Rhekemi

This is amazing! 

I'm really happy you linked this thread in your Reddit post recently, I'm kind of sad to have missed this concept for so long.

I LOVE the idea of a multi-faceted tactical warframe÷

I REALLY hope this gets added to the game soon. For now, take this +1, and accept my page bump!

3 hours ago, ensignvidiot said:

This is amazing! 

I'm really happy you linked this thread in your Reddit post recently, I'm kind of sad to have missed this concept for so long.

I LOVE the idea of a multi-faceted tactical warframe÷

I REALLY hope this gets added to the game soon. For now, take this +1, and accept my page bump!

Thank you.

Ushtar's journey (and mine) to this stage has seen its highs and lows, but he's in better shape now; you didn't miss too much...I think. ?

I must say i'm positively impressed with the changes :) I keep lurking here from time to time because this concept is really interesting

Only small thing i can say is about the offensive variant of Tourniquet, i'd personally go with a slightly lower base damage but add a guaranteed Bleed proc on a hit, giving it a bit more scaleability :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2016 at 5:18 PM, Autongnosis said:

I must say i'm positively impressed with the changes :) I keep lurking here from time to time because this concept is really interesting

Only small thing i can say is about the offensive variant of Tourniquet, i'd personally go with a slightly lower base damage but add a guaranteed Bleed proc on a hit, giving it a bit more scaleability :)

Thanks, and I'll take your points into consideration during the next round of tweaks. 

Incidentally, another thread made me look up the Halikar (the Grineer throwing and disarming weapon). Guess what I didn't know? The mechanics to allow a player to pick up and use an enemy's weapon already exist in game.

When attacking the player directly, the Drahk Master throws a Halikar mace. If it hits, it has a very high chance of disarming the player of their currently wielded weapon and then placed at the Drahk Master's feet, forcing the player to use their remaining weapons. The stolen weapon is marked as an objective on the minimap, and can be recovered by picking it up using the Use key (Default X).

• Other players will have the option offered to them to pick the weapon up, and if the player has that slot open, they will pick up the weapon, although the weapon will be unranked and consequently be stripped of any mods installed until reclaimed by the original owner. 
  • The Halikar is capable of completely disarming a player if they are not using a melee weapon.
  • Drahk Masters can occasionally use the weapons stolen from their adversaries, such as the Boar, making them more dangerous. Carried weapons will be dropped after death.
    • It should be noted that this most often happens with Grineer weapons, even those that are not used by enemies.
    • The Ogris functions identically to how the player uses it should a Drahk Master use it.

Overall, many of the systems once thought too complex or new for Ushtar either already exist, or they do now. (Ivara, for instance, brought to life a few concepts I'd only imagined on paper.)

On 7/2/2016 at 10:49 PM, Rehtael7 said:

What Ushtar makes me think of now:

overwatch_recall_scrn4b.jpg

We're all warframes now.

I was going to say this myself, I very much love the Idea of a supportive combatant marine. Soldier: 76 is just that, he helps allies, and can hold his own very well, which is what I see this new frame doing, and I would absolutely love to see this in-game. The fact that we don't have any actual "marine" base frames surprises me a little bit considering what Warframe is. The theme definitely could work beyond well fitting into the gameplay style, and just being a damn good soldier in all roles, defensive, offensive, stealth, support, all of it, and I can't wait to see this go into game if it ever does!!!

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:18 AM, Unus said:

Excellent work here sir/mam. Seems to me that the ideas that Digital take the most seriously are the ones that have been fleshed out the most ability wise and artistically speaking. With any luck and with a few interested looks from the Design Council, I feel that your fella may have a place in our arsenal. I wish you luck!

Hey, thanks. I miss posts sometimes and have to go back.

It would be cool if DE one day created a 'frame inspired by Ushtar. No doubt.

I'm a man, btw.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, (PS4)alphacreed15 said:

Love this frame but change his 4 and 5 ability btw he seems more like a stealth frame which im cool with me

He no longer has a fifth ability, and his 4th has probably seen some tweaks since you posted. No major changes to it, though. (Biggest changes were to abilities 2 & 3.)

Out of curiosity, what change did you have in mind? I may not take them all on board, but I don't mind suggestions. (And I have taken many on board.)

Thanks for the compliment.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, (XB1)Reaper Aktual said:

Love the concept! Been thinking of a Marine based Combat Engineer frame myself

Thanks, and I will try to comment on your concept. I have read it and will be honest about pros and cons, and what you might be able to focus on. (I agree quite a bit with Fluttershy's comments on your warframe.)

I firmly believe that we need some mix of Tenno and soldier/marine, so it's interesting to see the different interpretations.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:17 AM, Fluttershy_I said:

I was going to say this myself, I very much love the Idea of a supportive combatant marine. Soldier: 76 is just that, he helps allies, and can hold his own very well, which is what I see this new frame doing, and I would absolutely love to see this in-game. The fact that we don't have any actual "marine" base frames surprises me a little bit considering what Warframe is. The theme definitely could work beyond well fitting into the gameplay style, and just being a damn good soldier in all roles, defensive, offensive, stealth, support, all of it, and I can't wait to see this go into game if it ever does!!!

Cool, and I guess I get why Rehtael posted the Overwatch character (all I know is that he's an Overwatch character).

Glad you like Ushtar, and here's hoping Soldier 76 makes a supportive marine type more appealing to the community (I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a lot of resistance to my initial, clunky version. There may still be quite a bit now, but I focus on using all feedback--positive and negative--to make Ushtar better).

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Edited by Rhekemi

3 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

Cool, and I guess I get why Rehtael posted the Overwatch character (all I know is that he's an Overwatch character).

To give a quick and easy TL:DR of what Soldier:76 is, since I assume you're a bit curious, his primary is an energy-based assault rifle, it deals good damage close-long range, best at med, he has an alt fire which fires a few grenades, his first "ability" is letting you sprint like a standard marine, to get into the battle quicker and what not, his second "ability" let's him set down a healing totem basically, healing all allies nearby it for a moderate amount, and his ult is well, just an aimbot, so very powerful on his own, but works best with his team, which from the ideas of Ushtar, it gives a very similar idea to this, and I would LOVE to see it in the game, here's for some hope!

23 hours ago, Rehtael7 said:

Waiting on the day when the council forum has a "Vote on community made warframe" thread. Under the assumption that you can't post your own, I'll be voting on Ushtar for sure.

Thanks, man. Much appreciated. No idea what the future of community concept votes is, though. Voting on a community 'frame at all is exciting, but imagine the bloodbath if it doesn't go how the DC wants? I've seen the DC go ape***t over just naming the Archer/Ivara.

I just hope we've moved past that stage and can work together again as a unit.

20 hours ago, Fluttershy_I said:

To give a quick and easy TL:DR of what Soldier:76 is, since I assume you're a bit curious, his primary is an energy-based assault rifle, it deals good damage close-long range, best at med, he has an alt fire which fires a few grenades, his first "ability" is letting you sprint like a standard marine, to get into the battle quicker and what not, his second "ability" let's him set down a healing totem basically, healing all allies nearby it for a moderate amount, and his ult is well, just an aimbot, so very powerful on his own, but works best with his team, which from the ideas of Ushtar, it gives a very similar idea to this, and I would LOVE to see it in the game, here's for some hope!

I was curious, thanks.

He seems like a mix of what I aimed for, and what I tried to steer away from. Basically, how do you make a supportive badass who isn't OP, while not relying on expected soldier abilities? And I still don't think I've got Ushtar just right yet. 

Huge kudos to Overwatch for putting a soldier concept together that works fluidly for their game. Here's hoping DE figures out how to do the same, and Ushtar plays a part in it.

UPDATE: I've moved Takedown into the first slot in Fidelis (ability one). This way the cloaking skill of Silent Blade is unlocked later (at rank 3 or so) instead of right away.