The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Insane Memory Leak 10/25/15

DiosGX

Let me preface this with something before I get into it; my laptop is a punk and has for the last year, decided it doesn't like 3D games anymore and will restart on its own at random intervals only while plugged into AC power. Playing off the battery alone has never seen it crash at all. Ever. I'm sure it's a voltage regulator issue but I'm sick of buying parts and I'm just going to get a Steam Machine soon. I digress.

My point is that my play time is very limited. I know exactly how much time I can play. For the last few days, I have been running out my T2 MD keys. Three at a time per battery charge before I have to log off and let it recharge again. It sucks, but I make due. I've been able to get 1.1m creds and 1100 ducats every Baro, and haven't missed anything despite these problems.

HOWEVER... today, there was a problem. Near the end of my second run, I got a warning that I only had ten minutes of power left. I thought "wtf? I should have another 25 at least."

In only a few seconds, it gave me the 9 minute warning.

Ten seconds later, it gave me the 8 minute warning.

I extracted and hit CTRL+Shift+ESC to get the task manager up and just stared at Warframe for a minute sitting at 1,300,000K~ memory usage. Then I kept staring at it, and watched it go up to 1.4M. Then to 1.5M, Then, in a matter of seconds, it was getting nearly to 2,000,000K~ and thought "OKAY NOPE" and closed out Warframe.

Now, sure, my battery is getting worse lately and doesn't hold as much a charge as it normally should due to being constantly drained and recharged 3-5 times a day. But, that was simply far too steep a decline. I'm very familiar with this jacked up rig, and so, here's as much information and reproduction as I can muster;

Repro;

Logged in. Claimed and relaunched 3 Titan Extractors onto Eris, Mercury, and Neptune. Cuz I needs teh_Ferrite and Nano Spores for team restores.

I then claimed a newly-built Atomos, then a Dual Zoren. Went to the market and bought the BP for the new fire axes, and began building them.

Entered T2MD as Saryn with a Synoid Simulor, Atomos, Scindo Prime, and Sahasa Kubrow.

I was getting pretty spam-happy with the Simulor, but I wasn't doing anything I wouldn't normally do, and nothing that has ever caused a problem before. The only two things I really did different here was claiming weapons, buying a market BP, building it, and actually using a Large Team Energy restore instead of just letting my Rage mod get me primed before the first terminal via Regenerative Molt and letting myself get shot repeatedly.

Warframe tends to hover around 900,000K to 1.1M~ K in terms of used memory for me. Today, I saw it double and show no signs of slowing down or stopping. If that's not a memory leak, I guess I don't know what actually is and you can ignore this entirely.

But it was when I started seeing the Minutes Remaining message show up mere seconds after the previous that made me think something was very, very wrong. That's as detailed and exact of a reproduction as I can honestly give. I wasn't online for very long.

o3o

Thank you for this very thorough post. I believe we have enough info to begin investigating this issue internally, however in the meantime it would be helpful to know if anyone else experiences this using the steps that DiosGX provided -- only because you mention your battery has been gradually getting worse.

I would also consider changing some of the power settings that are provided by Windows. There is a good chance your OS is behaving differently based on your power source (battery or AC power), which may have a negative influence on applications that you are running. 

I tried to reproduce what you saw, but I didn't get any leaks. However, I did not use the Atomos as my secondary because I used it to craft the Twin Basolk, which you seem to be implying is the most likely cause of the leak since it was the only thing you did differently.

What I did:

• Claim all 3 extractors and move them to Eris, Mercury, and Neptune
  • Claim Saryn, Atomos, and Scindo Prime from foundry, and craft the Twin Basolk after buying the blueprint from the market place
  • Take Sahasa Kubrow out of the freezer
  • Equip Saryn, Synoid Simulor, used Sicarus Prime because I don't have the Atomos, Scindo Prime, Prisma Shade, and Prisma Burst Laser because I was waiting for my kubrow to defrost
  • Do 2 T2MD missions while waiting for my kubrow to thaw. At the beginning of each mission, I dropped an team energy restore. The first mission I used a medium because I forgot to equip the large one
  • Switched Sahasa kubrow with Prisma Shade and did 2 more T2MD mission. Both times I dropped a large team energy restore
  • In all missions, I spammed the Synoid Simulor as much as possible

I recorded everything starting from right after deploying my extractors after logging in. My memory usage started around 800MB when I started recording. It jumped to 1.1GB after loading the first mission. At the end of my fourth T2MD mission, it stayed at 1.24GB.

Either it has something to do with the Atomos, which I couldn't use, or it was something completely different. I don't think crafting the Twin Basolk or dropping large energy restores at the beginning of missions could have caused this leak since I didn't see any problems.

I'm not sure what exactly memory leaks are, or if any of this info is helpful, but I figured I'd post it in case it was.

Disclaimer aside: I had some issues like this back when I was playing Warframe on my Laptop, I recently updated to a new computer though (the thing is a literal monster) and I haven't had any difficulty since. My Laptop (8gb Ram, GeForce 650m, 3ghz cpu, I believe) would start at around 50-60 FPS when I launched Warframe, and would be 15-20 FPS in about 10-15 minutes (also the game would freeze my computer occasionally, and I got the occasional blue screen). Warframe's graphics were set to max though (I couldn't bring myself to run it at less). That said, the same Laptop could run League of Legends at max graphics just fine, even Elder Scrolls Online set to high graphics typically stayed over 30 fps. Not sure if this matters, but my battery was also pretty dead (it held at most 20 minutes of power, so I always used my laptop while it was plugged into the charger). I believe the laptop was higher-end in 2011 when it was purchased, it was used heavily since then though. I may have accidentally overheated it once or twice as well... and had to wipe the harddrive once... and right-clicking on the desktop made windows explorer crash...

I've had no problems whatsoever though since switching to my new computer, the game runs perfectly (not counting my overclock its a 4ghz cpu, 16gb Ram, and a GeForce 980ti).