Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Payday 2 Devs Speak About Microtransactions

TheErebus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/payday-2-studio-speaks-up-about-microtransactions-controversy/

So the devs have finally released a statement of sorts about the microtransactions controversy. 

"At the time, there were games that were released with in-game microtransaction systems at launch; players were asked to pay for the full game, and then continue to spend money directly after the initial purchase. At the time, Payday 2 featured a relatively advanced weapon modifications system where players for in-game money could buy, sell and modify weapons, masks and modifications. When we discussed this with people, we'd receive a ton of questions regarding whether or not it was microtransactions or not in our game too. To make sure there was no confusion, we said what we did to make things absolutely clear. If you asked me then, there would be no way we would've added a system like we just did."

"Since we released PAYDAY 2 back in 2013, the OVERKILL crew working on the project has more than tripled in size. From 25 developers to today with 75 developers. This allows us to create better content more often across several platforms. Like we've said in the past, we do free updates when we can, and paid DLC when we have to. As our ambition for PAYDAY 2 post-launch has grown, we’ve hired more people to help us make it happen. New stuff include everything to the drive feature to the comeback of the First World Bank and Slaughterhouse from PAYDAY: The Heist."

"Two years ago people would have us instantly start work on PAYDAY 3, right after we released PAYDAY 2, like developers usually do. Instead, we decided to continue work on PAYDAY 2, because we wanted to make it an incredible co-op experience. 88 updates later, we have to ensure the future survival of the game. We do sales when we can where we reduce the price point up to 75% in order to pay people's wages and create a buffer for a rainy day. Six months ago, we also made a bold move to permanently reduce the price point of 16 PAYDAY 2 products by 33-43% in the hopes of drawing additional sales. Needless to say, we didn't see the result we anticipated, and have had to think of other ways to make sure we can continue creating content in the pace we want in order to keep PAYDAY 2 fresh and exciting."

From what I get from this, is that they essentially needed more funding.

This is obviously not the full explanation, read the reddit AMA for a full look at their reasoning.

From what I get from this, is that they essentially needed more funding.

Looks like it.

Funding (as Overkill says) or greed (as others will claim), what's done is done, and it doesn't look like they are going to stop. I'll avoid using the terrible pun again, but I do really think the reaction from the community was rather extreme.

lol the content they bring for a paid game is just awful. If they wanted mirco transactions they should of made payday 3 and started there not on a stupidly old game.

^

If you say no microtransactions for one game doesn't mean you can't have it for the next.

They screwed the community and themselves over.

^

If you say no microtransactions for one game doesn't mean you can't have it for the next.

They screwed the community and themselves over.

I am saying they could of started it in payday 3 and people would of accepted it far more then at the end of games life cycle.

"Not in our wildest dreams could we anticipate the type of reaction that the update received during the first few days."
"We thought the addition of the Steam Market in APYDAY 2(sic!) was a great feature. We didn't expect the negative reactions."
" We are completely disconnected from our fanbase and reality as a whole"

"There are several arguments as to why we think stat boosts are OK to have in PAYDAY 2, and here are three; - The game is balanced around the vanilla experience, that is, the game without any DLC."
"We believe it isn't Pay-2-Win, as we balance the game around the base game, not on any DLC you might own or any stat boost you might have. "
"We can say the game is balanced around a blank game file and charge $4.99 for any weapon you could have and we would still deny it's P2W"

"We understand that there is a lot of fury, anger and disappointment with us adding this. From an economical standpoint however, completely based on statistics, we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended."
"We can't hear you from the sound of how much money we're making"

"While the general sentiment here in the subreddit has been negative towards microtransactions, the numbers speak a different language. Players seem to be loving it."
"Here's me being clear about how little S#&$ we give about our community."

"We have a partnership with our partner 505 Games..."

"We are not independent..."

"...this was the right decision to do to ensure the stability of OVERKILL as an independent developer and the future growth of PAYDAY 2."
"...but we are independent, honest."

"We have no plans of reversing the system, no."
"We won't ever start listening to our community, no."

"We're not removing stats from skins."
"F*** you."

It's like their damage control did even more damage now that their intentions of milking the newcomers from the free week and ignoring the hardcore fanbase completely are perfectly clear.

...I've just noticed that a couple of subreddit threads making fun of that bloodbath of an AMA and further critiquing the devs and Almir in particular were just removed.
Well alright.

Well, I don't really see why they can't start a new IP. It's clear that Payday 2 has a large team that needs to be payed, but with the game already working fine (as far as I know since I've never played it thanks to my ******** friends who begged me to get it, only to stop playing it once I did), there's no reason to keep such a large team on the game anymore, just a small bug and content team will do fine.

"There are several arguments as to why we think stat boosts are OK to have in PAYDAY 2, and here are three; - The game is balanced around the vanilla experience, that is, the game without any DLC."

"We believe it isn't Pay-2-Win, as we balance the game around the base game, not on any DLC you might own or any stat boost you might have. "

"We can say the game is balanced around a blank game file and charge $4.99 for any weapon you could have and we would still deny it's P2W"

"First time" I ever seen a set of statements leaving a very redundant remark on how game is "not" Pay2Win.

Might as well say "Good luck" to the man who makes Alad V incredibly honest in comparison.