Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Replacing Gtx 580's Sli

Generalsherman

Earlier during the Halloween tactical alert my PC began hitting 90 degrees on medium settings for some reason. Both cards were heating up like that and one was already dying so I think both may be on the way out now. I want to know what kind of card I can get for under $300 that can match their performance. Anyone have any ideas?

Well for now you can definitely use MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision to crank the fans on both cards to help with temps. Keeping things below 70 degrees will allow the cards to perform better.

To replace them I would look at a pair of GTX 960 cards. Grab one now and one down the road; each is about $230.

Edited by RawGritz

Well for now you can definitely use MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision to crank the fans on both cards to help with temps. Keeping things below 70 degrees will allow the cards to perform better.

To replace them I would look at a pair of GTX 960 cards. Grab one now and one down the road; each is about $230.

Will that hurt them? The cards are dying I think and I'm not sure how manually cranking up the fan will affect them.

Will that hurt them? The cards are dying I think and I'm not sure how manually cranking up the fan will affect them.

No that should not hurt them at all. In fact it should perserve them a bit longer. When you get your new cards, hop online and look up how to make fan profiles with the programs I mentioned above. This will allow your GPU fans to crank up and increase cooling as needed.

Edited by RawGritz

If the card is dying you would get worse than overheat, sounds more like the fan itself for the card housing is packing in, you could save some money if you have the patience and get a third party cooling housing for the card.

Unless the heat pretty much fried the thing.

Edited by Makairi

If the card is dying you would get worse than overheat, sounds more like the fan itself for the card housing is packing in, you could save some money if you have the patience and get a third party cooling housing for the card.

Unless the heat pretty much fried the thing.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out the point of failure here. I can play Warframe on medium without the fans kicking into high gear but booting up standard Fallout New Vegas and playing for 5 minutes got the fans revving, same deal with Rollar Coaster Tycoon 3 a game from 2005. Multiple temp programs show the CPU and motherboard as fine with only the cards heating up. I have a fan on the front of the case failing but would one intake fan going south cause the cards to overheat without touching the other components?

I'm still not sure what's going on here. All I know is that the fog in the new alert is making the cards heat up massively.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out the point of failure here. I can play Warframe on medium without the fans kicking into high gear but booting up standard Fallout New Vegas and playing for 5 minutes got the fans revving, same deal with Rollar Coaster Tycoon 3 a game from 2005. Multiple temp programs show the CPU and motherboard as fine with only the cards heating up. I have a fan on the front of the case failing but would one intake fan going south cause the cards to overheat without touching the other components?

I'm still not sure what's going on here. All I know is that the fog in the new alert is making the cards heat up massively.

Hmm... Have you checked the inside of your desktop? Cleaning your interior might actually help your performance a bit.

Hmm... Have you checked the inside of your desktop? Cleaning your interior might actually help your performance a bit.

Have cleaned everything inside multiple times over besides the inside of the cards themselves. I just can't get them open without having to apply so much force. I think they may break.

Does kinda sound like the fans on the cards housing is packing in. A failing intake fan shouldn't cause the fans to go into high gear and still heat up.

Have cleaned everything inside multiple times over besides the inside of the cards themselves. I just can't get them open without having to apply so much force. I think they may break.

Go look for a disassembling video before you start doing that, cards are a lot more delicate but i'd advise cleaning out the cards, the heatsinks on them and the fans. Then apply new thermal on the gpu chip. If you still have problems and the fans are going nuts or the cards keep getting hot you have choice then between trying a third party cooling housing or a new card altogether.

What are you using anyway? AMD or Nvidia and is it a third party manufacturer like Asus?

Edited by Makairi

Does kinda sound like the fans on the cards housing is packing in. A failing intake fan shouldn't cause the fans to go into high gear and still heat up.

Go look for a disassembling video before you start doing that, cards are a lot more delicate but i'd advise cleaning out the cards, the heatsinks on them and the fans. Then apply new thermal on the gpu chip. If you still have problems and the fans are going nuts or the cards keep getting hot you have choice then between trying a third party cooling housing or a new card altogether.

What are you using anyway? AMD or Nvidia and is it a third party manufacturer like Asus?

Nividia Gtx 580's.

The issue is the screws holding the main plate on. I was starting to strip the heads before they would even budge. The last thing I wanted to do was leave the heads broken so I couldn't secure the cover again.

You can max out warframe with a Gtx 660@60 easily...

In conclave, I get 160+ fps constantly@max settings. In void missions, you get bottlenecked by your cpu anyways.

Imo just get a 760 or 960. A 660 would be a short lived upgrade unless the OP's not planning on touching new titles in the next few years.