Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cod: Black Ops 3 To Get Modding Tools Next Year

TheErebus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-will-get-modding-and-mapping-tools-next-year/

So it seems CoD: Black Ops 3 will be getting modding tools next year. This will allow for the creation of new gamemodes and new maps. In addition, it will also include unranked dedicated server files and browsers so that players can create, find and join specific matches that run modded content.

It wont be ready for the November 6th release date but they promise to get it ready as fast as they can. 

Treyarch are really the only CoD dev team that I consider any good. They care a lot about the game and place in features that a lot of the community really enjoys (at least from what I can see)

50% chance this idea will be successful.

50% chance this idea will end horribly.

I placed my bets.

It'll end horribly, mark my words.

You know those mods on L4D2's workshop and such where it's like... "ULTRA SUPER COOL MAP" is the name and the whole thing is actually just a plain, boring square floor with no texture, a skybox that has nothing to do with the map, and a lot of random shapes tossed everywhere? You know, the ones that are quickly ignored and never given much attention because the mods that are actually good rise far ahead of them?

Yeah, that's going to be the entire CoD modding scene. In fact, that map I just described will likely be "quality" compared to the others.

You know those mods on L4D2's workshop and such where it's like... "ULTRA SUPER COOL MAP" is the name and the whole thing is actually just a plain, boring square floor with no texture, a skybox that has nothing to do with the map, and a lot of random shapes tossed everywhere? You know, the ones that are quickly ignored and never given much attention because the mods that are actually good rise far ahead of them?

Yeah, that's going to be the entire CoD modding scene. In fact, that map I just described will likely be "quality" compared to the others.

Blind hate right here. 

I'm quite positive that there will be as many great maps as there will be S#&$ maps. 

Blind hate right here. 

I'm quite positive that there will be as many great maps as there will be S#&$ maps. 

It's not hate. Unfortunately, it's actually an honest truth about CoD. Most of the players are, in fact, children. Even those that are older tend to not be any more intelligent than the children. There are only a few CoD players that are actually smart and capable of processing things greater than "NO-SCOPE WOOOOOOO", "HAX", "TROLOLOLOLOL", "ROFLMAO", and "NOOB". In fact, these five things tend to be the intellectual peak for most CoD players. With this in mind, and adding modding onto that, terrible mods are almost inevitable. Because every egotistical testosterone-fueled "360 no-scoper" is going to be making "epic mapz".

If there are more than 10 good maps made by CoD modders, I will be genuinely surprised.

It's not hate. Unfortunately, it's actually an honest truth about CoD. Most of the players are, in fact, children. Even those that are older tend to not be any more intelligent than the children. There are only a few CoD players that are actually smart and capable of processing things greater than "NO-SCOPE WOOOOOOO", "HAX", "TROLOLOLOLOL", "ROFLMAO", and "NOOB". In fact, these five things tend to be the intellectual peak for most CoD players. With this in mind, and adding modding onto that, terrible mods are almost inevitable. Because every egotistical testosterone-fueled "360 no-scoper" is going to be making "epic mapz".

If there are more than 10 good maps made by CoD modders, I will be genuinely surprised.

And? I don't see a problem with children playing games. Annoying to listen to them? Just mute 'em. 

Done.

Terrible mods are inevitable in every game. Not just CoD. 

I remember the amount of horrendous mods on Garry's Mod that was available to us. 

10? That's an incredibly low expectation.

It'll end horribly, mark my words.

I'm pretty sure this is absolutely baseless.

You pretty much saying this stuff solely because it's CoD.

So your "it's not hate" opinion is based off stereotypes and memes. Good job.

And? I don't see a problem with children playing games. Annoying to listen to them? Just mute 'em. 

Done.

Terrible mods are inevitable in every game. Not just CoD. 

I remember the amount of horrendous mods on Garry's Mod that was available to us. 

10? That's an incredibly low expectation.

There's a problem when the majority of the playerbase is said children, and slightly older individuals who aren't much smarter than them. This is made even more evident by how much CoD has been dumbed down since the original titles to cater to these individuals. The campaigns don't even have value anymore, it's just the multiplayer, which is the same thing over and over and over again, with the only difference being an even lower average player age. They don't even have to put any work into it, because kids are so easily entertained that just by making a new CoD frequently enough they guarantee that every child who plays it will beg their parents to buy them the next one.

Terrible mods are indeed inevitable on any game. Be it Skyrim, L4D2, or any other game. However, these games also have a large number of players who are adults and/or intelligent, unlike CoD where it's, like I said, a very select few that are actually... Well, smart. So while terrible mods are inevitable, it's also almost inevitable that terrible mods will be the vast majority for CoD. Unless of course the majority of the mass of children and testosterone-fueled meme-droppers ignore the modding scene and only the intelligent CoD players take part in it. Sadly, this isn't likely to happen.

Also, 10 is not a low expectation. If anything, that's a high expectation.

I'm pretty sure this is absolutely baseless.

You pretty much saying this stuff solely because it's CoD.

So your "it's not hate" opinion is based off stereotypes and memes. Good job.

I don't know of too many other games where the majority of the playerbase is like CoD's aside from Gmod, so yes, it is pretty much because it's CoD. Oh wait... Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Eh... That game isn't as bad as CoD.

Stereotypes and memes... You just described CoD in three words.

Edited by Valsako

Bro, Sonic Generations didn't have any modding tools, yet people still managed to recreate Sonic Unleashed in it.

Modding tools aren't going to be very popular, because that's not the reason people play CoD for.

I see it bringing "In" people who was against it, to try / play CoD.

Edited by Monsterwithin

If the community can make maps then what will they sell as DLC?

I like the idea and I hope that the COD community will make great things with it.

This is activision we're talking about. While their games show a lack of ideas in every other possible aspect of the game, DLC is where they seem to have an infinite supply. They'll come up with something.

Y'know what.

Prove it.

Show me the statistics.

You make the claims, you back them up.

Join any number of matches on any CoD game you like except for the old ones, or look up just about any CoD multiplayer video on youtube that isn't an official one by Activision themselves to promote the game, and you have your proof right there.

I've played CoD, and every single match I've ever joined has had mostly children, or the testosterone-fueled meme-droppers I mentioned before. Everyone I know has had the exact same experience. Unfortunately, there isn't any site or any such thing that maintains a constant public record of the age statistics for CoD's playerbase or any other game's playerbase for that matter. If there is, I haven't heard of it, and would appreciate a link to it. Though, there really doesn't need to be any such statistics when just by playing the game you could see exactly how correct this is. Unless, of course, you're extremely lucky and only ever end up with the much smaller number that is the intelligent players. In which case I envy you, because I was not quite so fortunate, and neither were any of the people I'm friends with who also play or have played CoD.

Modding being a good thing or a bad thing is entirely dependant on the community that game has, and CoD's community is not a good one. That's why I'm saying modding will be bad for CoD. If I'm wrong, then that's great! I'd love to be wrong on all of this, but sadly I don't think I am.

Edited by Valsako

Join any number of matches on any CoD game you like except for the old ones, or look up just about any CoD multiplayer video on youtube that isn't an official one by Activision themselves to promote the game, and you have your proof right there.

So basically: Very little children.

Because we are relying on anecdotal evidence, I'll bring mine up:

I've played two CoD games: MW2 and AW.

In MW2, I rarely ever encountered kids. 

In AW, I encountered a small number of audible kids. Everyone else was either a teen, a person of my age group and/or older than me.

Youtube videos are unreliable as the ones that feature the highly annoying and audible kids are edited to feature these kids primarily. I guarantee you that behind all the editing, it's a long search to find the one kid to troll. 

Modding being a good thing or a bad thing is entirely dependant on the community that game has, and CoD's community is not a good one. That's why I'm saying modding will be bad for CoD. If I'm wrong, then that's great! I'd love to be wrong on all of this, but sadly I don't think I am.

You are aware that user generated maps already exist for CoD WaW right? And most of them are actually quite good. 

So basically: Very little children.

Because we are relying on anecdotal evidence, I'll bring mine up:

I've played two CoD games: MW2 and AW.

In MW2, I rarely ever encountered kids. 

In AW, I encountered a small number of audible kids. Everyone else was either a teen, a person of my age group and/or older than me.

Youtube videos are unreliable as the ones that feature the highly annoying and audible kids are edited to feature these kids primarily. I guarantee you that behind all the editing, it's a long search to find the one kid to troll. 

You are aware that user generated maps already exist for CoD WaW right? And most of them are actually quite good. 

I envy you, then. I've played both of these titles and all I found was what I described, save for a small handful that were actually nice and/or smart.

Your point about the youtube videos is quite true, however, there's still a remarkable number of children that have to exist on the games for the sheer number of videos featuring them to exist. So, while unreliable, they do make somewhat of a point.

Yes, I am aware of those. However, WaW also doesn't face the problems the later games deal with. That being, mostly children as the playerbase. But like I said, if Black Ops 3's modding scene is actually surprisingly good, than that's great. However, it shouldn't be expected. If you don't want to be disappointed, expect a terrible modding scene for a modern day CoD, because that's the most likely thing to happen.

Name one game that doesn't have an abundance of children in it when they shouldn't. Warframe does, mainly because Sony doesn't enforce the age requirements they are supposed to. GTA is another game with an abundance of children playing them. This is just another show of the anti-cod bandwagon, like what Erebus said earlier, care to show some actual evidence of these claims, because I can assure you, you are dead wrong, there is no more of a child problem in call of duty than there is in any other popular shooter.

Also just because some maps are terrible made by untalented individuals does not mean they all will be, Halo reach is a prime example, there were thousands of maps to scroll through but the all time top rated were genuinely good ones, the trash ones filtered down to the bottom where they belonged.