Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tint 4 Without Photoshop

LuckyCharm

Okay I know I've already asked this.. and answers I've gotten are confusing. Some people say tint 4 is Yellow, some say it's white, some say it's purple. But for what I can tell, it's none of those. Every colour just seems to just change with the RGB channels instead. So things that are white, just get slightly tinted by all 3 channels instead of making a new colour channel. 

I kind of figure this is because I'm using GIMP since I don't own photoshop and would very much not like to steal it for this. Since it's supposed to be against the submission rules anyway (not that people can really tell anyways) So. Is there a way to get all 4 colour channels to work in Gimp? If so how? I can't seem to paint in the alpha channel at all. At least not visibly, nor paste into it so I'm not sure how I'd see it even if I did manage to get the right tint color in there

Tint 4 is a white and black image, that goes in the alpha channel. I have not been able to use anything other than Photoshop to make tintmasks. I'd suggest that you just get the 30-day trial for Photoshop. That's what I've been using. But I haven't been able to edit the alpha channel at all either. And another problem is that the standard PNG format doesn't really save alpha information other than what's transparent and what isn't. So I've only been able to use Photoshop with the SuperPNG plugin.

The tinting works with four separate masks, each in its own channel, comprising the RGBA channels of a PNG image. Where the masks overlap, the highest mask (tint 4 is on top, tint 1 is on bottom) replaces the masks underneath it, so a yellow area would be tinted the same color as a green area, for example. Unlike what Antoine said, the PNG format supports full 8-bit alpha by default, and it can save the color values of pixels with an alpha of zero, i.e. the pixels store data in R8G8B8A8 format.

In GIMP, add a layer mask to your RGB image (the first three tint layers). Then right-click on the layer and select "edit layer mask" and "show layer mask." This will show an editable mask that you can use for your fourth tint mask. When you are done, right-click on the layer, and select "apply layer mask." Last, ensure that you have the option "save color data from transparent pixels" selected when you export your finished PNG image.

Alternately, you can make each mask individually as its own layer or image. Then go to "color > components > compose," and assign each mask to a channel of an image. Again, be sure to "save color data from transparent pixels" when you export.