Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

X-Normal Or N-Vidias' Photoshop Plugins?

inkwhiz

my substance painter trial runs out today but i think i have figured out enough to get by with photoshop.

I have Nvidias photoshop plugins installed and would like to know if this can be used to make normal maps for warframe or are their reasons that they have to be made in X-normal like the example in the texturing guide?

I don't know what the nvidia plugins are or do, but you can definitely alter maps in photoshop.  Rebecca and Megan did a Prime Time after the launch where they do just that.

Programs like X-Normal and Blender simply give you a different perspective on what you are doing, rather than blindly applying changes directly onto the map itself.  Unless, of course, you are using the 3D in photoshop (I don't have experience in that), which I imagine does similar as these programs.  

I probably shouldn't be giving advice as I don't know too much about the whole process, but figured I'd help out a little until someone with more experience replies.

Substance painter is 20 bucks a month for 16 months then its YOURS for life. I would throw another 20 bucks at it because I have used alot of baking software and its just the bee's knees (next to MARI, which is 2000 bucks +)

If you have to choose... ummm use Xnormal's 3d Viewer to see what you are doing and to establish a clean initial bake, and use photoshops normal map editing plugin. Use em both.

I actually have both those plugins and I use them for generating normal maps for my handpainted stuff if I didn't do a highpoly for it. However, I'd really recommend grabbing xNormal instead, as it will produce much more accurate maps. As for whether DE will accept them: A normal map is a normal map. I'm sure they'll accept anything as long as it fits your work. 

xNormal is free though, might as well at least give it a try.