The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

The only thing that bothers me, is that he is talking to us. That's the biggest mistake DE has made so far. I wanted my tenno to be quiet and mysterious. Not some kid that insults grineer. I had my pride and did my missions with honor. Now I'm just a puppet for a kid that wont shut up about how Grineer are so ugly, and "omg we down, we need halp". 

Essentially, I like the whole tenno aspect. I loved the fact we finally got to see what's behind the frame, and we get to decide who we are. But I wanted to keep my personality. We dont get to costumize that.

You can turn off "Operator Voice" in the settings.

edit: 64n0eAh.jpg

Edited by Cidolfus

The only thing that bothers me, is that he is talking to us. That's the biggest mistake DE has made so far. I wanted my tenno to be quiet and mysterious. Not some kid that insults grineer. I had my pride and did my missions with honor. Now I'm just a puppet for a kid that wont shut up about how Grineer are so ugly, and "omg we down, we need halp".

Essentially, I like the whole tenno aspect. I loved the fact we finally got to see what's behind the frame, and we get to decide who we are. But I wanted to keep my personality. We dont get to costumize that.

Isn't there an option to make him "shut up"?

Also if DE just add the zariman hood as a helmet for the operator, that would adress people who prefer a "faceless" look.

ok guys, watch the comments in this video, and all the people who likes this change will know we are not alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4iffXdVTYE

now, to all the people who complain, you can see that there are a lot of people who likes the change

Of course we're not alone. Most people who are happy with this don't go on forums to write about it. They just keep enjoying the game.

Ok haven't been following the thread but just wanted to pop in and offer my view on things. So really enjoyed the Second Dream quest and the reveal. But thinking about it, it's a bit odd that I do enjoy it since a while ago the exact form the Tenno took would no doubt have upset me the same way many here have been upset by it.

So what changed? Why am I gushing at DE over how much I love this update? Simple, I got burned out.

I think it was back around when Limbo's quest came out and some dialogue in there sparked a debate about it's implications to the "mono-tenno vs poly-tenno" theories. I got really into that and then it just hit me, I was getting worked up over this and it was just stupid. It was stupid because there was no truth to back up anything, everyone was just grasping at vague wordings in dialogue and cryptic codex entries, arguments about what was metaphor or not. And ultimately no one would convince anyone else that their theory was more sound because frankly none of them had much of anything to go on. 

And so I just let go of the lore side of the game. I still played regularly and appreciated the unique universe warframe had and enjoyed the bits of narrative they did with the odd quest and event but I wasn't invested in it, it was flavor, not substance. 

Now with this update I'm once more interested and invested in the lore because it's now turning into something with substance. And I think that's the heart of it,  up until now Warframe's lore and narrative have been stagnant. A mystery that doesn't go anywhere for two or more years isn't compelling. 

So to those upset over this, I say, I empathize, I really really do, things could easily have been different and I'd be right there with you. It hurts, it's not what you wanted for the story but ultimately this is change and Warframe's lore and narrative have desperately needed it. I hope in time you can appreciate the lore and story DE is developing but in the meantime please understand that this is necessary for the game to move forward. 

Also if DE just add the zariman hood as a helmet for the operator, that would adress people who prefer a "faceless" look.

it can be added, it would help to relate with the operator by thinking you are inside the suit with the hood in your head, because it would be that.

but stop complaining, they give you what you want and you keep complaining, just give it some time, its a little green, i think they would add more customization, so you can do a charracter that doesnt looks like a kid, or one that looks like yourself (thts what i would do) and maybe the option to keep the hood in your head

You can turn off "Operator Voice" in the settings.

edit: 64n0eAh.jpg

That's not the point. The point is that he now has a personality that many of us do not appreciate. The charm of Warframe has always been that we get to be who we want to be. The fact we get to choose our appearance as the operator was great. I'm loving the way the focus system was introduced.

However, as I said before, we get to costumize our appearance, but not our personality. That was the most essential aspect to our characters in the game. At least for many of us. And you may have different values which is fine, but based on how players are reacting to this specific issue, you can't deny that it was a significant disappointment to a lot of players.

Essentially, I don't mind my operator talking to me. But I would like to be able to decide how he behaves, what he says, what he believes in, those sort of things. Having him say things that fits my vision of my character more.

I haven't explored the setting to "shut him up", but if it's the same as Ordis, where it simply mutes him and not removes the window, it still ruins the illusion that many of us enjoy.

ok guys, watch the comments in this video, and all the people who likes this change will know we are not alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4iffXdVTY    E

A: The vast majority of the comments in that video is people praising DE, the song, and the update, so....not sure what you were going for here.

B: No one said you WERE alone. Steve himself stated that he knew there will be some people who won't like the reveal. But It's their game. It's their story. It's their lore. You can complain about it. You can talk about it. You can give suggestions. But guess what? They aren't going to retcon it just because you don't like it. That's like telling an author of a book series that their latest book is wrong and they should change it because you say so.

That's not the point. The point is that he now has a personality that many of us do not appreciate. The charm of Warframe has always been that we get to be who we want to be. The fact we get to choose our appearance as the operator was great. I'm loving the way the focus system was introduced.

However, as I said before, we get to costumize our appearance, but not our personality. That was the most essential aspect to our characters in the game. At least for many of us. And you may have different values which is fine, but based on how players are reacting to this specific issue, you can't deny that it was a significant disappointment to a lot of players.

Essentially, I don't mind my operator talking to me. But I would like to be able to decide how he behaves, what he says, what he believes in, those sort of things. Having him say things that fits my vision of my character more.

I haven't explored the setting to "shut him up", but if it's the same as Ordis, where it simply mutes him and not removes the window, it still ruins the illusion that many of us enjoy.

That's what I meant. Add the hood, the option to mute the operator and hopefully also remove those windows. Let people project what personality they want onto their operator, or leave him/her as more of a mystery.

I'm sure DE will add more customizable options, but personally I hope the childlike appearance stays. The fact that we are damaged by the void and ancient beings trapped in a child's body appeals to me.

Edited by (PS4)OppneusKorsuss

I just hope this evolves; operator grows and we have choice in how it's done. Also being able to control the operator would be awesome, I imagine being locked up that long and now free would mean we can go beyond just being a warframe. 

There is now 100s of thousands of operators (us players) awakened in human form so what's next I wonder? And what about mama lotus? lol. Well here's hoping for more, I am def interested now.

Edited by fizbit

It's pretty obvious we'll be not only getting more customization options (Which does include voices, which also may include more personality quirks), but there is a dialogue option mechanic ingame, and we were able to use it quite a bit at the end of the quest. That in itself has potential to give us players a say in our Tenno's personalities.

You have to remember that this update is laying the foundation. Just like literally every other big system or mechanic in the game, it takes time to be fully fleshed out. Right now, it's relatively barebones. Instead of striking it down and stomping our feet in anger, we as the players should be giving feedback. Tell DE what we'd like changed and implemented. What new voices could be added or customization features. Just like how Rebecca revoiced ALL of the Lotus' lines awhile back, the Operator's current voices can be redone and retooled. More (or less) personality can be given. But DE needs to know we want that. 

A: The vast majority of the comments in that video is people praising DE, the song, and the update, so....not sure what you were going for here.

B: No one said you WERE alone. Steve himself stated that he knew there will be some people who won't like the reveal. But It's their game. It's their story. It's their lore. You can complain about it. You can talk about it. You can give suggestions. But guess what? They aren't going to retcon it just because you don't like it. That's like telling an author of a book series that their latest book is wrong and they should change it because you say so.

im going saying that you cant stop complaining because you think you are right and this HAVE to change, but there is some people who likes it, so why not leave how it is, why think this is the wrong book, just because you dont like it is the wrong book? thats what im saying you think you are right and this is the "wrong book" but a lot of people likes it, and like someone said before, they are not omplaining, they are just playing the game, si its like there are not people that likes it

having the option to disable voice is customizing his personality because he doesnt speak, the voice option is for the people who wants a character who speaks and that stuff, but if you want a character mysterious and silent you disable the voicee and then you have it.

anyway do like me, give it more time, the devs will surely add more customization options so you can do more things, its still a bit green, just give it time. 

Edited by mstriker

im going saying that you cant stop complaining because you think you are right and this HAVE to change, but there is some people who likes it, so why not leave how it is, why think this is the wrong book, just because you dont like it is the wrong book? thats what im saying you think you are right and this is the "wrong book" but a lot of people likes it, and like someone said before, they are not omplaining, they are just playing the game, si its like there are not people that likes it

Sorry I'm not understanding you here. Are you agreeing with me? My book/author analogy was towards people complaining about the lore. I'm not complaining about it myself.

Sorry I'm not understanding you here. Are you agreeing with me? My book/author analogy was towards people complaining about the lore. I'm not complaining about it myself.

more or less, this is not the last book thats wrong, this is a good book, a very good book, and a lot (and i think a majority) of peope agrees, but they dont complain, they just play, not like this people that the only thing they can do is complain, its only that the great majority of the people who likes doesnt open posts (ok one guy opened oe just to say thanks) and the people who complains do it, so it seems like the people is angry but the angry people is a minority, so it seems like is a fail when its not.

more or less, this is not the last book thats wrong, this is a good book, a very good book, and a lot (and i think a majority) of peope agrees, but they dont complain, they just play, not like this people that the only thing they can do is complain, its only that the great majority of the people who likes doesnt open posts (ok one guy opened oe just to say thanks) and the people who complains do it, so it seems like the people is angry but the angry people is a minority, so it seems like is a fail when its not.

Ah okay, I understand you now. But really there's actually been far more positive posts and threads about this update than negative. The General Discussion page was filled to the brim with threads of praise for at least 2 days. People played the quest and immediately wanted to tell everyone how awesome it was. Now those people are, as you've stated, playing the game and enjoying the update. And thus the more negative threads begin to show up.

In fact, I think I'll do the same.

Ah okay, I understand you now. But really there's actually been far more positive posts and threads about this update than negative. The General Discussion page was filled to the brim with threads of praise for at least 2 days. People played the quest and immediately wanted to tell everyone how awesome it was. Now those people are, as you've stated, playing the game and enjoying the update. And thus the more negative threads begin to show up.

In fact, I think I'll do the same.

true, its the best for all to do the same...

While I would have preferred to have a squad or clan of tenno with each having his own suit, and each with their own identity and personality, I knew from the hints on dev stream and in the game ( "That warframe suites you") that DE would have all of the warframes controlled by one operator. I was thus prepared for that to happen, and of all the ways they could have accomplished that, this one is not that bad ...for me anyway.

The cinematics were exceptionally well done. DE presented the story beautifully and set a very high bar for cinematic presentation and story telling.

The missions in the quest I didn't like as much as I did the Natah quest but that is mostly just personal play style and preference. It started with a spy mission, and I hate spy missions, the guardian eye took me forever  and almost all my revives to get, and getting past the stalker at the end had me wanting to throw my mouse across the room.

The combination of the new revive system and the focus lens definitely makes the game better for solo players, yet by adding extremely challenging end game content the game can still challenge a group of very heavily equipped players with out them feeling that they are too OP and that the challenge has left the game.

Over all I think the update was very good. It may not be the lore I would have preferred but the game needed to have the basic questions about who we are answered. It was done extremely well, and the new changes and additions to the game I think were very well thought out.

It's pretty obvious we'll be not only getting more customization options (Which does include voices, which also may include more personality quirks), but there is a dialogue option mechanic ingame, and we were able to use it quite a bit at the end of the quest. That in itself has potential to give us players a say in our Tenno's personalities.

You have to remember that this update is laying the foundation. Just like literally every other big system or mechanic in the game, it takes time to be fully fleshed out. Right now, it's relatively barebones. Instead of striking it down and stomping our feet in anger, we as the players should be giving feedback. Tell DE what we'd like changed and implemented. What new voices could be added or customization features. Just like how Rebecca revoiced ALL of the Lotus' lines awhile back, the Operator's current voices can be redone and retooled. More (or less) personality can be given. But DE needs to know we want that. 

having the option to disable voice is customizing his personality because he doesnt speak, the voice option is for the people who wants a character who speaks and that stuff, but if you want a character mysterious and silent you disable the voicee and then you have it.

anyway do like me, give it more time, the devs will surely add more customization options so you can do more things, its still a bit green, just give it time. 

Since it's a new feature, it's important that we voice our opinion so DE can proceed with future updates, based on what the players wants. It's extremely important we criticize and voice our opinion. It's important we all disagree and explain why.

I'm quite intrigued about the whole "child appearance" myself. I love that we are able to see our operator, so I personally dont have any complaints in that regard. Just the personality aspect.

Also, the disable option, does that disable sound or the window itself? Because if it's only sound like with Ordis, then it doesn't change much.

Loving the mental gymnastics the naysayers are pulling so they can have their head cannons back. For sure a psycho-analyst would have a field day with this one!

End of the day - Warframe was a fun game in a rudderless, shallow world with no soul or purpose. Now it isn't - you can accept that - or move on - those are your choices.

Expecting there to be options for all your personal headcanon is foolish - it's also a terrible idea. Good stories don't happen by committee - they come from one mind sticking to its vision - the rest of us should just shut up and appreciate it - respectfully.

You've got avenues for quibbling and feedback over every other aspect of the game and are welcome to use them - but if you want a decent story - best buckle up and ride along - cuz that's the only way to get one.

DE can never make everyone happy. When we have no lore, we complain. When we finally have huge lore bits dropped after 2 years, people still complain.

The thing is, even if DE made the Warframes individual characters, there will still be complaints. That's the problem with lore, it can never make everyone happy.

However, one thing we can and should agree on is that this is a good story. We may not like the operator, but it's better than nothing