Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

1080P Monitors

Slum.Dog

Buying monitors... Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather see something this important myself than just buying online.

If you can, it's worth finding a shop which sells monitors, even if you won't buy then and there, so you can look at the demo screens and gauge the feel of the picture, and what feels better to you. You can also ask questions to the salespeople, and you might get lucky and find one who knows what they are talking about.

As an example, one detail not listed on either of your links is if the screens are matt or gloss finish. I know I prefer gloss, but it's entirely down to taste, and many websites simply don't give that sort of information.

Also, one consideration for dual-screen arrangements is the width of the screen border, the black plastic trim at the edge of the monitor. For multi-screen setups, thinner is usually better.

Edited by Kthal

The asus one seems really good, both are great products for gaming.

However, it has no HDMI, that might be something to consider. Technically speaking HDMI is better than DVI but in general when it comes to gaming you should be fine but make sure you know that.

I would love a HDMI on these, but I'm on a budget and this is best I'm going to get for a while.

Buying monitors... Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather see something this important than just buying online.

If you can, it's worth finding a shop which sells monitors, even if you won't buy then and there, so you can look at the demo screens and gauge the feel of the picture, and what feels better to you. You can also ask questions to the salespeople, and you might get lucky and find one who knows what they are talking about.

As an example, one detail not listed on either of your links is if the screens are matt or gloss finish. I know I prefer gloss, but it's entirely down to taste, and many websites simply don't give that sort of information.

Also, one consideration for dual-screen arrangements is the width of the screen border, the black plastic trim at the edge of the monitor. For multi-screen setups, thinner is usually better.

Thank you. I was recently looking around my local Best Buy, Target, and Wal Mart for monitors, but my budget cut my options down by a lot. Much of what they had at my price range were either lower quality or sold out. Had to resort to these two guys.

I would love a HDMI on these, but I'm on a budget and this is best I'm going to get for a while.

Thank you. I was recently looking around my local Best Buy, Target, and Wal Mart for monitors, but my budget cut my options down by a lot. Much of what they had at my price range were either lower quality or sold out. Had to resort to these two guys.

Look in the reviews and questions for each monitor.

Leading onto Kthal's, people in those sections ask about matte vs gloss.

More importantly, see if you can find a real life monitor from these brands, either shop or friends. In general they tend to keep the processes of manufacturing the same across all of their products.

I have a Samsung TV Monitor and I know for certain how the picture looks across most other Samsung monitors (went to check it out).

Asus ^^ I've never had any problems with asus and i think it got some fine specs ^^

T_T i can't go dual without paying a S#&$ton for extra 4k monitor #PcMasterRaceProblems

Dual 4K?????

I feel like a peasant..gonna leave this here:

the Asus one is much better.

the Acer there is missing a lot of features.

i would suggest the 1080p version of the Monitor series i use though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153

mostly because i assume most Consumers will not see the reason to have a Monitor like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

not that this is the ultimate Monitor, it's just very good for it's price point. doesn't have Display Port sadly, but i'll live. and nobody includes the sorts of stands you could get 8 years ago, sigh. yes, i do want Stands with Tilt, Height, Swivel, and Pivot!

Technically speaking HDMI is better than DVI

you literally will not see a difference. the image signal is IDENTICAL.

in fact, since nobody puts HDMI 2.0 on their products yet, Dual Link DVI has the advantage, as it can support higher Refresh Rates at higher Resolutions vs HDMI 1.4.

'course HDMI supports Resolutions most Consumers are using, so this is only relevant at higher ones.

at the end of the day Display Port is the winner for everything though. has the solid mounting of DVI, with better Resolution and Refresh Rate support than both HDMI and DVI. with a Port that is sturdy and very compact. especially if using Mini-Display Port.

Both aren't great brands, Acer would definitely be the stronger of the two, had nothing but breakdowns from Asus products, however with none having HDMI, they're both pretty poor to be honest, also the Acer has "Does not include holes for VESA mounts" in the description, so if you're planning to mount these screens on a bracket for a better dual screen setup the Acer won't work.