The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strange Game Slowdown That Happens Periodically

Prism77

Question

Hello everyone. It's kind of hard to explain this issue, but I'll try to describe it. I have noticed randomly that whilst playing a mission, the game will slightly slow down for a few seconds and the sounds that the game makes, they sound...torn? Like I said it's hard to describe. I guess I shouldn't say that the game slows down but the frame rate drops and the sound becomes glitchy. The best way I can describe the sound is when the computer hangs up, and a sound that was playing hangs up as well, that's kind of what it sounds like. Anyways, this issue happens every now and then. It's nothing too game breaking but it can become annoying, especially when I'm in the middle of a huge fight that requires a lot of concentration. The issue itself lasts for about 15 seconds. I don't know if it's the graphics card that's causing it or what. Any help on this issue will be appreciated, it really is puzzling me. My system specs are down below:

GPU: GeForce GTX 970

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Memory: 8.00 RAM (7.98 usable)

Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

Driver version: 359.06

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

17 answers to this question

Do you have vertical sync enabled? I have the same graphics card and I found I was getting weird stuttering and lag with it enabled.

Sorry about me not replying to this. Yes I do actually have Vsync on. I can try to turn it off and see what happens. Hopefully this will fix it. It can get quite annoying at times when I'm in the midst of combat. >-< If anyone has any other solutions or ideas, please let me know.

I have tried the following:

Reinstalling the entire game

Verifying the game through its launcher

Optimizing the game through its launcher

Allowing the game to pass through my firewall

Do you have a hard drive(HDD) or a solid state drive(SSD)

If you have a HDD

Did you defrag your computer within the past few weeks?

I have a hard drive so I'll try that out.

By the way I tried to turn off VSync but for some reason, it causes the clothes physics in the game to go insane. For example, the things that hang from Trinity's skirt start twitching in mid-air and won't simply hang from it, also the Orphid skin for Saryn's skirt flies up for no reason.

Here's some extra details to what exactly I'm experiencing as well:

The game will be running at 60 fps normally but then suddenly the frames go way down to the point where even the sound in the game starts sounding...messed up, it's hard to explain. This happens for about 10-15 seconds and then goes away. Every now and then it happens.

Edit: Alright I checked my hardrive. Everything was already 0% fragmented so no need to defrag anything. I might just try to ignore the cloth physics and try to turn off VSync again to see if it stops the strange framerate slowdown.

Edited by Zodiac35

Try disabling 64-bit in the launcher

So far I haven't experienced the strange slowdown. I think this might be the solution! I'm gonna try a few more runs of Warframe just to verify since the anomaly happens at random times.

Is there an Ash or Hydroid in the mission?I get this when im the host and Ash is doing a bladestorm.

It happens universally with any warframes present. Anyways I just tried playing without x64 bit mode turned on and it still occurred. I'm going to try turning off DirectX 11 now in the launcher.

It happens universally with any warframes present. Anyways I just tried playing without x64 bit mode turned on and it still occurred. I'm going to try turning off DirectX 11 now in the launcher.

Oh, forgot something.

Have all of them disabled at once. I forgot to say if your multi threaded option is checked. If it is, uncheck it.

You have a fairly powerful machine, all things considered. You shouldn't have to dial back your settings to get the game to run properly. For reference, my PC is pretty old. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 840(3.2Ghz), 8 Gb RAM and a GTX 650Ti; I can Warframe at 1080p 60hz with VSync, multicore rendering and DX11 on all day without issue. My advice would be to look at your system before you change settings in the game.

It almost sounds like your problem may be related to CPU throttling or parked cores. Check out this thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/289244-framerate-drops-high-cpu-loads-cpu-overheating-this-might-fix-it-cpu-core-unparking/?hl=%20core%20%20unparking

Running a high load background program(video recording or streaming, or a bloated AV program) can also cause severe negative side effects.

Last, but not least, it may just be a glitchy driver from Nvidia. I have been having little hiccups with my system since the latest patch from them.

You have a fairly powerful machine, all things considered. You shouldn't have to dial back your settings to get the game to run properly. For reference, my PC is pretty old. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 840(3.2Ghz), 8 Gb RAM and a GTX 650Ti; I can Warframe at 1080p 60hz with VSync, multicore rendering and DX11 on all day without issue. My advice would be to look at your system before you change settings in the game.

It almost sounds like your problem may be related to CPU throttling or parked cores. Check out this thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/289244-framerate-drops-high-cpu-loads-cpu-overheating-this-might-fix-it-cpu-core-unparking/?hl=%20core%20%20unparking

Running a high load background program(video recording or streaming, or a bloated AV program) can also cause severe negative side effects.

Last, but not least, it may just be a glitchy driver from Nvidia. I have been having little hiccups with my system since the latest patch from them.

Interesting. I run no background programs when playing Warframe and I could see it being the Nvidia drivers being glitchy. I will see if any of my cores are parked by using the other forum's instructions.

Edit: Now just to make sure. This will not have any bad side effects, right? I don't want to do this and be left with more technical issues. I shall wait to do it until I get a reply, because this sounds like it could effect my computer's power supply. I'm sorry I just want to be absolute about this because I don't want to end up having to send my tower back to have it fixed.

Edited by Zodiac35

Edit: Now just to make sure. This will not have any bad side effects, right? I don't want to do this and be left with more technical issues. I shall wait to do it until I get a reply, because this sounds like it could effect my computer's power supply. I'm sorry I just want to be absolute about this because I don't want to end up having to send my tower back to have it fixed.

I wouldnt worry about core unparking having any bad effects, it just uses more power. I havent found it causes any problems as of yet. Check your temperatures while playing though, it could be that.

Interesting. I run no background programs when playing Warframe and I could see it being the Nvidia drivers being glitchy. I will see if any of my cores are parked by using the other forum's instructions.

Unparking your cores will not have any adverse effects (except perhaps drain your battery a bit faster on a laptop). I highly recommend unparking your cores if you're running a desktop. There's even a chance this will fix your issue as well as Warframe is a CPU-intensive game, and freeing up your idled CPU cores can do wonders for improving both the game's performance as well as other applications (and other games too!). Considering you're using a quad-core CPU, this could be the issue; the stuttering may be a symptom of the OS switching cores from an active to an idle and vice versa. Unparking your cores simply means that your cores won't be parked or sent idle.

I'd also suggest uninstalling and reinstalling your Nvidia drivers and performing a Warframe file check through the Warframe launcher (see attached image), since making sure that nothing is corrupted file-wise is always a good thing to do:

32c014d4de524320d05d082b6d4fa0cb.png

If the problem still persists, you can try disabling advanced launcher settings (i.e. Multithreaded rendering, DX11, DX10, Fullscreen) to launch the game in a "Safe" mode of sorts. If the issue stops, try enabling options one by one to try and isolate the specific option that might be causing it. Disabling any background programs you don't need to have running may also help.

You mentioned that the sound breaks (torn/choppy), are you running your sound out through your motherboard or USB? Or is it being sent out over HDMI from your Nvidia GPU? I ask because if the sound is coming out of a 3.5mm jack or USB, then the problem is likely CPU/Motherboard/OS related, as a graphics card malfunction will typically just result in your screen not displaying correctly (but sound should continue normally).