Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Control Setups (Hardware)

(PSN)Itsa_me_MG

Question

I've been on ps4 Warframe for 2 years, Mastery lv14. But recently I bought an new windows based pc, where my other pc is Linux. Now I am running both OS options, I downloaded WF to the windows machine. Obviously standard keyboard and mouse are woefully inadequate for playing WF with. What are you guys favourite or preferred Hardware items?

Edited by (PS4)Itsa_me_MG

4 answers to this question

I quite don't understand how mouse/keyboard are more inadequate than a ps4 controller ^^" ; I find it way too slo when i need to be nervous and fast. Well that's not the question.

Concerning the mapping, you should have the standard W/S/Q/D to move and strafe already, with SHIFT and CTRL to sprint and crouch/slide. I don't what mouse you're using, but with a G502 I've bent some actions like reloading to the mouse, and I ve bent all the powers to wheel : UP for 1, LEFT for 2, RIGHT for 3 and DOWN for 4.

Sorry, but consoles are absolutely crippled in FPS games by their reliance on gamepads (other than that, I think the hardware is fine compared to PCs).  I play Warframe on both PS4 and PC, and I cannot move around on PS4 anywhere near as freely as I can on PC, even though I'm using mouse and keyboard on both (XIM4).

On PC I use all 5 fingers on my left hand, three on my right, and the movement of my right hand on an A3 mousemat at 1200 DPI to aim.  My keyboard has Cherry keyswitches, and the mouse has microswitches and a laser.

What does the console's gamepad have in comparison?

You use only your thumbs and forefingers, so you have to take your fingers off some controls to activate others; the buttons are rubber cup type and the analogue controls are potentiometers (in other words, both are cheap and nasty), with less than an inch of travel.  The XIM4 gets around that by letting me use the same keyboard and mouse I'd use on a PC, but you're still limited to how fast/accurately you can turn, and you can't bind any more actions than there are buttons on the controller, so you have to sacrifice some for the vital ones (eg. I can't swap which shoulder the camera looks over, which I use a lot in spy missions to look/aim around corners/cover).

-

For over 25 years the default keys for PC FPS games have been pretty consistent:

* WASD to move.

* Space to jump.

* Ctrl to crouch.

* Shift to sprint.

* R to reload.

* Numbers row or mousewheel to select/cycle weapons.

* E/F to interact.

* Mouse movement to aim.

* Mouse buttons to shoot / use scope.

Of course you get some idiot developers that try and make things up with no respect for what people are familiar with (like the completly confusing crapshoot in the Assassins Creed PC ports), and there are some modifications for MMOs where the numbers are instead used for abilities, or they have A+D to turn and you click on the ground to move, like in oldschool RPGs (hence keyboard turning scrubs who haven't rebound their keys/don't turn with the mouse.  It's always fun stabbing them in the back in PvP as they waddle around trying to face you), but it's been mostly consistent, and once you've got used to them in one game, you should find most others are the same.

Gaming mice expand upon the basic keyboard + 3-button-mouse-with-scroll-wheel, usually having their button grids replicate either the numbers row or the numpad from the keyboard, which easily translates the abilities to the mouse, and saves you from having to take fingers off movement keys to activate abilities.  The better ones will let you bind any key to any button (I found this important in WoW when I was multiboxing 5 different classes, and had to find space for 5 lots of abilities.  I needed use of the number keys separate from the mouse buttons, and it was vital that every button could use any combination of shift/ctrl/alt modifiers, which isn't the case for numpad buttons.  The symbols at the right end of the keyboard and the arrow keys fulfil this perfectly).

On the thumb-grid of the Razer Naga:

1, 2, 3

4, 5, 6

7, 8, 9

10, 11, 12

I have the following bindings:

1 - Ability 1

2 - Ability 2

3 - Ability 3

4 - Switch to melee

5 - Reload

6 - Swap to/switch primary/secondary

7 - Toggle melee channel

8 - Quick melee/melee attack when equipped

9 - Codex scanner

10 - Synthesis trap

11 - Ability 4

12 - Synthesis scanner

Scroll down - Roll

Tilt wheel right - Secondary fire (allows for ver fast fire > secondar combos, and avoids the acidental scroll/tilt activations that happen when pressing the very stiff middle mouse in combat)

Rearmost button behind scrollwheel - swap camera shoulder

These allow me to pull off any action quickly and smoothly, without having to sacrifice mobility (I abuse bullet-jump/aim-glide in this game like crazy), like I'd have to if many of those actions were on the keyboard.  I've arrived at these bindings after repeatedly re-evaluating what I was using previously to find inadequacies, shifting buttons around to try and find those that offer the smoothest flow, and engaging in periods of Mr Miyagi style paint fence/sand floor/wax car like repetitive actions in low level content, to retrain muscle memory away from what it had become accustomed to.

That repetition and practice is needed to get the hang of a thumb-grid type mouse from the start, but really they're no different from when people used to send text messages on a mobile phone keypad.  Given time you can be very accurate on them, even if they are at first troublesome.

I'm really weird.

I don't use WASD, I remap everything to ASDX.  My fingers naturally fall straight across the ASD key meaning I don't have to shove my middle finger outward to hit W.  S moves forwards for me, which means, I just "press".  X takes me backwards, and I never get hand cramps anymore.

Mouse aim is a massive upgrade from thumbstick aiming.  Whenever I see a gaming video done on a console, I can tell.  

The aiming reticle on controller gamers always move in "blocks", one chunk of angle at a time, in jerky movements, unless they are carefully sniping and can take the time to slowly sweep across the screen.

The reticle on a mouse user will always show fluid sweeps, and looks much more "analog" to me.

Mousewheel allows fluid switching between options in game, and if you have a gaming mouse with an extra button, alt-fire is right at your fingertips.  Beyond that, as you learn the number keys, quick activations on your abilities becomes second nature.