Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will De Ever Impliment More Swordplay?

origee

Thyh, your reply was fine :3 And it does sound interesting. If pressing jump/sprint/crouch mid-combo changed the nature of the combo, that definitely would bring some variety to the melee combat. Though the question is, would it be any more practical than 'charge and rush'?

I also kind of like the idea of making melee a separate weapon. What if when you pressed E, instead of that being your melee attack button, it was dedicated to switching to/from your melee weapon? That way, you wouldn't get caught accidentally switching to one of your guns with F, because it'd have its own special input.

I was musing about mapping switch weapons to Tab, and the consumables to Tilde.

Q is Block/Charge
E is Standard Attack/Technical
F is Medium Attack/Recovery

My rationale for actually mapping the keys in this way is that mashing E already removes a degree of movement from the Tenno, so why not just go all the way and make the Tenno have to learn to balance between sitting there and smashing away at mobs and being mobile enough to dodge things like Ancients and so on. This of course then falls down to their animation department and whoever is the code monkey for input buffer to get right.

How this would work is that there is no "Heavy Attack", you Hold Q into E for the old Charge attack, you chain E, E, F into a staggering finisher, E, E, E, would basically be the default chain we have now, an F, F, F combo would be a slower but harder hitting combo (making heavy weapons very desirable for that), E, Q, F would be a knock down move, so on and so forth.

At any point in these combos you can cancel the animation to dodge the heck out of the way. And yes I added the secondary functions to add a degree of control over the various stuns we have against us, so a Scorpion lassoing us, you mash E to cut the rope or something. Then there would additionally be a jump recovery window in which hitting F allows you to roll on landing (which gives Handspring the mod a place for actual KD recovery).

My two cents.

Edited by Miaradz

^ I kind of like it, except mobility is actually key to melee combat. Weaving into and out of range, sidestepping attacks to hit them in whichever angle their attack has opened up, etc. 'Stand and swing' sounds like it could get just as boring as 'run around mashing/holding E.'

Hence my emphasis on animation cancelling and making players think about when to stand and deliver and when to dodge out. Like that was an entire paragraph! :P

Toggling E as a melee toggle works as well tbh, LMB as light, RMB as Medium, Hold LMB into RMB for a charge attack. Preserves mobility while giving players a deeper melee mechanic.

I suggested mine because it would seem from my perspective DE wanted to keep the gunplay separate from the swordplay by preserving the mouse only for ranged combat (I think as their legacy from making action games). Thus my reasoning that it should be on the keyboard along with animation cancels.

Edited by Miaradz

XD Dodge rolls are different from basic movement though. Sometimes, you don't need to move six feet, just one or two to get around their attack, y'know? o-o

And I cheated. Swapped RMB for melee, E for aim-down-sights. M'such a rebel.

Good point. E, E, E is the default chain therefore should preserve mobility, the others lock into a cancelable animation then. Compromise!

And you're basically playing it like Warhammer 40000 Space Marine. Their ADS on PC is Ctrl actually. God why is that game's networking as bad or worse than Warframe's....

The only thing i want to see is a warframe/warframe's thats actually melee based -  possible Excalibur change. Named after a legendary sword and his abilities are oriented in melee, why is he not a melee warframe. I dont think there is anything bad here, buff his shield and shield regenerate and possibly max endurance and make melee primary. That is what id like to see, a caster type - mag, volt etc, melee type Excalibur, frost etc, range and stealth. By this i mean of course that the primary weapon slots would be swapped, some would need more power but less stamina and so on. Just a thought, but a thought id like see get thought out and produced.

And meele wepons should have more DPS than any ranged weapon, for balance all infested mobs should be boosted too.

It would be amazing if they implemented the melee combat system from Jedi Outcast / Academy / JA++. That would make dueling in the dojo amazing like duels were back in the day on honor servers.

It's better be like DMC

Edited by Keetsune

I would honestly love DE if they made melee feel more like a hack-n-slash game. I mean, at least let melee-focused enemies block >>; Just giving gunners the ability to butt us and interrupt our charge attacks isn't enough. If a dude's running at me with a sword, he should know well enough how to use it that I can't attack him carelessly. Maybe they can't deflect bullets, but they could at least guard their torso from time to time.

I love the way Densoro and Miaradz think. Seeing Warframe with that kind of swordplay would be wonderful.

I wonder if the DE read this, I would love to see what they think about it.

I disagree with this post.  There was a post brought up about introducing new ninja moves, like parry, proper blocking, slide tackles, anything you can think of.  This idea makes more sense, since we are ninjas.  But the melee system shouldn't change.  Especially since, fully ranked and modded and polarized, you just 1 shot your way through everything.  Extremely hard content would have to be introduced, before your idea would make any sense in Warframe.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I like your idea, it just makes no sense for Warframe, in it's current state.

That and also i really don't like complex stuff and this is thread sounds pretty complex. Also mapping it out to the W+Directional buttons would be a little hard to do. I think we should have more moves for melee like what this post says but they're simple. Example Slide+Charge Melee=Spin move similar to Raiden's Polearm move in Metal Gear Rising.

Don't get me wrong improvments to Melee for warframe would be cool but i don't want combo's that are complex and hard to pull off or require hitting multiple buttons at the same time.

I don't see why a system similar to Jedi Outcast/Academy couldn't work, there's only 1 button for melee in those games but the attack you do depends on your movement or similar combos like what we already have with slide slashing or slashing after doing a wall run. It's not like they'd have to go full devil may cry or anything,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently we have a main and secondary weapon that we must switch between. And then there is melee that is always available when you press e.

I would like to see them implementing melee as a weapon that you "can" switch to. If they made it so that you can switch to your melee weapon, they could create a much more robust melee system in which you can attack with your left and right mouse buttons, as well as e, in order to create much more interesting combos with different strengths and weaknesses. They could also make it so that you attack individually with your individual weapons when dual wielding, as well as give you the ability to choose from which directions to attack.

The possibilities are endless with a system that allows us to use our melee weapon as a principal weapon instead of having it as something that is tagged on top of your main and secondary weapons.

I'd really like to see the sword become an equip of it's own and get some interesting moves and combos to accompany it. Everything has so much potential to change in this game, and surely things can be improved and tweaked to make room for new systems while still keeping the game in the same direction. The reason why melee is so easy right now is because enemies are barely a threat if they're not shooting hundreds of rounds a millisecond at you, and it takes almost nothing to kill one since they just stand still or walk backwards slowly while still shooting. The most they'll do is hit you with their gun, which doesn't do a whole lot. Enemies could have their AI improved to support actual tactics, which would make someone who decides to hack and slash their way through groups have to utilize a wide variety of moves in order to stay alive while slicing everything in their path.

There is a lot to think about here.

You have to take into account the work load many of your requests would involve.

New animations. New weapons. Rewiring the melee gameplay dynamics.

With that acknowledgement, I have to agree that yes 'a more in depth approach to melee combat would improve this game by magnitudes upon magnitudes'.

But I disagree with completely revamping it entirely adding stances and new move sets strictly based on the current state of the games progress, how much they are already working on, and how much more there is to come.

SO WHERE DO I STAND?

In the middle of the street, during lunch hour traffic.

YES - one button sucks.

YES - switching to melee and using the mouse buttons

NO - stances and an insane amount of added complexity (for now)

HAPPY MEDIUM = you could minimize the workload by keeping current moves, and adding finishers. I hate to say it but Vindictus has one of the best combat systems I have experienced, and I have played a lot of action games since SNES.

Left click for attack. Right click for smash (finisher).

Vindi was in a similar situation where Shootemup nerds wanted a ranged character. This is like the 'polar' opposite of that, lulz.

I hope to see something to that effect in the future.

I hope to see something to that effect in the future.

And also, till then, be creative with your melee.

Running melee combo and tap crouch at random

Run, start melee charge and slide

Running jump, air slide melee

Air slide melee into a wall run/climb (certain weaps like ankyros and orthos)

Sliding jump to melee

Wall launch to melee

Wall launch to wall cling to melee out

In one of the live stream (i think post update 9 stream) They said that they are working on more moves that spend stamina.

They have been arguing about the melee move set with back and forths between "More moves is more fun" and "Simple actions is the way to go" (not exact words)

I would rather like for them to fix existing mechanics, like block, to give a variety of play styles. Another thing might be deflect so that you can kill you enemy with their own bullet starwars style.

I do agree with you that spamming the melee key is boring especially with very fast weapons. They make me feel that i am disconnected with the game. Using charge attacks and normal attacks give me a sense of rhythm that connects me to the game, makes me feel like i am the warframe. But remember, this is also a third person shooter. They have to take consideration to the move sets when running and gunning.

In the near future, i want to be able to slide at an enemy deflecting bullets and then split them in half.(like the PS4 anouncement trailer)

Edited by BakaKami

Actually its really easy to implement sword-play. Just raise the damage done by swords by 10 times, make it 100 times harder to get new swords, give beginners nothing more than a plastic dagger, then ruin the whole market system of the game. It may sound impossible at first, but what i learned after update 9 is that these DE guys are capable of doing anything they are NOT supposed to.

While unsure what or when the system will change,

one way to make weapons more unique and give

Inventive to try more, is to give all weapons unique animations

And patterns.

To go further, let them have melee mods. They in themselves could be

different martial arts, movements, pros and cons.

This would let users customise melee, and stay in the current system.

The one thing that WOULD be need to change is the chain-sequences

And ao forth. In Darksiders, both melee and guns, you buy combo moves and equip them.

Akin to the current mod system.

My input, more melee would be fantastic.