Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Why Is This Going To Be A Launch Title For The Ps4?

RealityMachina

People talking about patches with current gen consoles need to realize that next gen consoles will have the same hardware as your PC (they are AMD x86 APU) patching and porting is going to be far easier. This is a great move and good for us who play on PC because it means they have more money for more content.

It's way too soon to jump to any rash conclusions, since the PS4 announcement was just made and the E3 presentation has yet to surface. Probably wise for Warframe fans to adopt more of a wait-and-see attitude and hope for the best. I can envision several different scenarios where a PS4 version will mean very good things for the PC crowd. In fact the more I'm letting this all sink in, the more it seems a positive outcome is far more likely than a negative one. I'm sure there will be renewed effort from the existing team, and it will probably be expanded in several stages, possibly with additional writers, testers, promotions and so on. And they always have us beta players to try things out on, so we might be surprised at some of the things they toss our way in the coming months.

Also, what better way to generate interest in the upcoming PS4 version than to get people hooked on the PC version beforehand? Once the new trailer gets around a bit and reaches an audience that may have overlooked WF up till now, it'll probably mean a new influx of players - I mean everyone has a PC, and since WF is F2P it's easy to get on board. If enough good buzz is generated on the PC it could really help Sony get even more early sales with a a pre-made audience of WF fans. A few PS4 exclusive skins would be fine with me even though I'm sticking with PC and doubt if I'll get a launch PS4, I'm sure a lot of people will be getting one no doubt.

And about those few comments about DE over-reaching and not being experienced enough, do a little research on DE's development history and portfolio of past games - not to mention their development of the Evolution engine. They are far from inexperienced and have gone through many changes and transitions over the years. This is just the start of a new chapter and is actually really good timing to be able to be onboard with Sony and the launch of the PS4. Looks like their recent very hard work with Warframe PC could really pay off for them, and for those of us who play!

You realise your lag is down to the host's connection (and your own) and not their computer spec right?

Doesn't bother me either way, I have nothing against console gamers was one myself until about 3 years ago. Doubt it would be cross platform anyway, most shooter's ain't but then this isn't PvP focused so who knows.

And people say PCs matter.

People talking about patches with current gen consoles need to realize that next gen consoles will have the same hardware as your PC (they are AMD x86 APU) patching and porting is going to be far easier. This is a great move and good for us who play on PC because it means they have more money for more content.

The problem is not the ease of patching, the problem is the patching process that the consoles force developers to go through. For example, Xbox live only allows a certain amount of updates a month before it starts charging developers through the nose to get patches issued through Live. BF3 was a notable example where new patches broke certain things and the console patch cycle prevented them addressing the issues in a timely manner.

Edit: Just to note, I'm not aware of what PSN's patch policy is, so hopefully it's a lot better than Live's.

Edited by SkyllianBlitz

The problem is not the ease of patching, the problem is the patching process that the consoles force developers to go through. Xbox live only allows a certain amount of updates a month before it starts charging developers through the nose to get patches issued through Live. BF3 was a notable example where new patches broke certain things and the console patch cycle prevented them addressing the issues in a timely manner.

Part of that was EA being inept $&*^s and unwilling to greenlight patches for other platforms outside the Xbox schedule. Apparently they couldn't handle more then one codebase at a time. Same thing happened in Mass Effect 3. Or they were just unwilling to admit to the Xbox using public that they were getting patches slower because Microsoft has outdated ideas about how developers should interact with their box, so they made the rest of us suffer.

Edited by Brasten

In older interviews, DE Steve said they were looking at PS4, but the key thing was whether they'd be able to keep doing their frequent updates to the game on a console. But DE Steve said Sony had plans for the PS4 that might allow this.

I mean, c'mon - DE knows all about the patch issues on current-gen consoles. They're professionals.

They just announced it dude. 

Far out, just keep your hat on until after the livestream. 

Also, this is their project and their decision, who do you think you are ?

Pretty much this. Also, I think it's amazingly awesome and great news, ESPECIALLY if they let us link our accounts to our PS4 game.

Honestly OP...just....holy hell. If some people win all the internets, you have most certainly lost all the internets.

01f.jpg

I don't think that's what he meant Kahruvel. I think he was talking about how there two different issue that cause poor Host performance. One being network Latency or Lag, and the other being lower spec host hardware which cause the game/AI/Effects to run slower. Both factors have a negative impact on play. Yes lower quality host hardware can be almost as bad or worse then network latency.

If anything a properly optimized PS4 port will end up being a better host then most of the minimum-spec PCs currently trying to run Warframe. Even some of the medium-spec ones.

Edited by Brasten

Part of that was EA being inept $&*^s and unwilling to greenlight patches for other platforms outside the Xbox schedule. Apparently they couldn't handle more then one codebase at a time. Same thing happened in Mass Effect 3. Or they were just unwilling to admit to the Xbox using public that they were getting patches slower because Microsoft has outdated ideas about how developers should interact with their box, so they made the rest of us suffer.

Microsoft's rationale for the Live update policy was so that devs couldn't just release a buggy game and patch it endlessly afterwards. Which they kind of have a point though how that turned out in practice is mixed.

Who knows, maybe by going to the PS4 DE can throw more money to tighten up each update and stop the bugs.

The problem is not the ease of patching, the problem is the patching process that the consoles force developers to go through. For example, Xbox live only allows a certain amount of updates a month before it starts charging developers through the nose to get patches issued through Live. BF3 was a notable example where new patches broke certain things and the console patch cycle prevented them addressing the issues in a timely manner.

Edit: Just to note, I'm not aware of what PSN's patch policy is, so hopefully it's a lot better than Live's.

From what I understand, PSN used to be similar, but I've heard rumors that they're changing it as part of an attempt to get indie devs onboard.

From what I understand, PSN used to be similar, but I've heard rumors that they're changing it as part of an attempt to get indie devs onboard.

from what i hear that patching policy isnt going to be that same, i also heard that sony was looking at changing it as part of a way to entice not just indie, but other devs.

I doubt their opinions will be any worse.

Just more vocal.

You clearly don't own a console and/or have seen one of these "PC to console" transitions.

It's effectively killed EVERY game i've ever seen make the transition.  They (the games in question) listen to the new (sometimes much larger) console fanbase which is 10000% more wishy washy.  Console players generally only go to forums to complain.  They have no reason to come here unless the game is broken - PC users are generally much more within arms reach of the forums weather it be alt-tabbed while actually playing the game or right before/after playing.  There are of course many exceptions - it might not even be fair to say the majority do (I think so though...) Even if its only 40% of the 1-2 million new players....

That is a LOT of noise to sift through.  That is a LOT of upvote bombings.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed but the forums became more toxic just by adding the STEAM players.  (I'm not saying all steam players are toxic..  I'm just saying you brought baggage with you - even that 1 sour apple can make an impact.)  Imagine that only possibly twice as large, twice as loud, and twice as negative.

Forums are going to become...interesting.

I should just stop myself though.  I'm so negative about this whole thing.  I should be happy for DE since I know they are probably happy about all of this.

Really it's as if I had a daughter and she is now old enough to date boys.  

A: I want her to stay my little girl. (sob*)

B: I don't want her to be influenced by the wrong boys. (console feedback...)

C: I don't want her to be hurt. (balance)

D: I don't want her to have less time for me. (updates/staff shuffles/resources)

E: I knew this day was coming somewhere in the back of my mind and yet I still don't feel prepared for it (and neither do a few aspects of the game for  a full "release..."  - unless you plan on calling it "open beta" for PS4 as well...?)

Edited by TraumaHunter

They will likely keep working on it until the PS4 release (somewhere around November). I expect a new UI and some of the bugs ironed out by then.

And it's not like they're gonna stop patching it anyway. There's barely a difference between this beta and an actual release.

To top that off, they have an entirely new team working on the port. Progress on the PC will not be impeded.

So why is it that people are so scared of the console version?

They will likely keep working on it until the PS4 release (somewhere around November). I expect a new UI and some of the bugs ironed out by then.

And it's not like they're gonna stop patching it anyway. There's barely a difference between this beta and an actual release.

To top that off, they have an entirely new team working on the port. Progress on the PC will not be impeded.

So why is it that people are so scared of the console version?

I can think of a few reasons.

- The forums will be filled with console players which is bound to spark fights between PC gamers and console players of course.

- The PC version will be affected, however, we do not know how much or little. Basically a fear for a darker future.

- This game was believed to be PC only and have all its resources and focus on the PC platform. Now that the case is different, people are worried. Sure you its an entirely new team, but the resources and manpower alike could have been used to further flourish the PC side.

- Finally, I guess some people just hate consoles and don't want the game "tainted" with them. Since it pretty much kills the community as there is no ability to mod, console players without a PC aren't active on forums, etc.

They can't do that as then they won't be able to sell the game itself that way and I doubt this'll be free to play for PS4. Or...?

Sony wants to have F2P games on the PS4 for a myrriad of reasons, you can probably find them online or just speculate a good five minutes and you'll figure them out, they're pretty obvious.

I can make a post about what they're trying to do if it's requested (which I really doubt anyone cares to read).

Edited by SetAbominae

Sony wants to have F2P games on the PS4 for a myrriad of reasons, you can probably find them online or just speculate a good five minutes and you'll figure them out, they're pretty obvious.

I know, it was a sarcastic respond, as seen with the "Or..?" regarding the release of the game. Just speculate a good five minutes and you'll figure it out. It's pretty obvious.

Edited by Inquisitioner

I know, it was a sarcastic respond  reply*, as seen with the "Or..?" regarding the release of the game. Just speculate a good five minutes and you'll figure it out. It's pretty obvious.

Apologies, 5 am and clonazepam does wonders to my brain.

That wonder being I turn into more of an idiot than I already am.

I can think of a few reasons.

- The forums will be filled with console players which is bound to spark fights between PC gamers and console players of course.

- The PC version will be affected, however, we do not know how much or little. Basically a fear for a darker future.

- This game was believed to be PC only and have all its resources and focus on the PC platform. Now that the case is different, people are worried. Sure you its an entirely new team, but the resources and manpower alike could have been used to further flourish the PC side.

- Finally, I guess some people just hate consoles and don't want the game "tainted" with them. Since it pretty much kills the community as there is no ability to mod, console players without a PC aren't active on forums, etc.

- If the forums don't make the mistake of branding the platform people play on, there'll be little problems with stupid people who can't help but be elitist.

- the PC version doesn't seem to be affected. They're already saying PC updates will be independent of console updates if needed.

- the game had gamepad support since forever, consoles are a logical step. And there's only so many people you can throw at a project before it becomes unfocused. I wouldn't want the dev team to become too large.

- so it basically boils down to elitism and the dirty console gaming peasants making a mess of the PC master race's stuff. Can't say I have much sympathy for that.

Apologies, 5 am and clonazepam does wonders to my brain.

That wonder being I turn into more of an idiot than I already am.

No worries and you're not one. 1+ rep to prove it :)

- If the forums don't make the mistake of branding the platform people play on, there'll be little problems with stupid people who can't help but be elitist.

- the PC version doesn't seem to be affected. They're already saying PC updates will be independent of console updates if needed.

- the game had gamepad support since forever, consoles are a logical step. And there's only so many people you can throw at a project before it becomes unfocused. I wouldn't want the dev team to become too large.

- so it basically boils down to elitism and the dirty console gaming peasants making a mess of the PC master race's stuff. Can't say I have much sympathy for that.

I merely speculated upon the reasons and offered my thoughts. I only attempted to answer your question to the best of my ability, not give the definite truth. So I fail to see why you'd take it so seriously.

But the point still stands that resources that could have been used upon for example expanding Warframe further are being pooled into creating a console port. So at least on that front I can have an understanding, even though I of course is more profitable to expand the game to a new platform.