Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Edc Anyone?

Imaru

So back in June I made an EDC thread. It has since gotten archived but I'm curious again.

What I carry on my person hasn't changed much except that I now carry a small knife sharpener (as of yesterday).

In my bag (which I almost always have with me) I have up to 3 liters of water, tire repair kits for my bike, spare tubes, a set of hex wrenches, my helmet (if I'm biking) a rain coat, rain pants, extra batteries, and a head lamp.

What do you guys carry?

I don't think I mentioned flashlight the last time.  I have the first generation (many years old)  Quark AA2 by 4Sevens. Basically a science-fiction level upgrade to old Mag Mini, being a pocket light more than a keychain light.  Did a lot of research before buying a "serious" light, and I'm glad I did; I have probably 20x more use of my light on "moonlight" and "low" modes. Max output on modern high performance LEDs is too bright most of the time.  Moonlight (0. 2 lumen) especially is super useful, because if your eyes are adapted for night vision, turning this light on won't sear your retinas like maximum (180 lumen).   Also, while lithium cells may hypothetically be lighter and brighter.... AAs are cheap and ubiquitous and more than good enough.

I carry my keys at all time, and use a SOLITAIRE mag flashlight as key holder and a micro folding knife in my pocket, if i go out for a walk I add a cap if sunny, my graduated glasses and a small amount of money or spare change, no wallet.

I don't think I mentioned flashlight the last time.  I have the first generation (many years old)  Quark AA2 by 4Sevens. Basically a science-fiction level upgrade to old Mag Mini, being a pocket light more than a keychain light.  Did a lot of research before buying a "serious" light, and I'm glad I did; I have probably 20x more use of my light on "moonlight" and "low" modes. Max output on modern high performance LEDs is too bright most of the time.  Moonlight (0. 2 lumen) especially is super useful, because if your eyes are adapted for night vision, turning this light on won't sear your retinas like maximum (180 lumen).   Also, while lithium cells may hypothetically be lighter and brighter.... AAs are cheap and ubiquitous and more than good enough.

Ya know, for someone who sees preparation as a very good thing and something I value, I don't really ever see the need to carry a flashlight. 

Yes I carry a headlamp, but that serves a very specific function: allow me to see where I am looking if/when I find myself biking at night. I'm out at night frequently enough that it is worth the space in my bag.

The obvious answer is "to see in dark places" but that doesn't really explain why I would want to take up space on my person for a flashlight.

Could someone explain?

Ya know, for someone who sees preparation as a very good thing and something I value, I don't really ever see the need to carry a flashlight. 

Yes I carry a headlamp, but that serves a very specific function: allow me to see where I am looking if/when I find myself biking at night. I'm out at night frequently enough that it is worth the space in my bag.

The obvious answer is "to see in dark places" but that doesn't really explain why I would want to take up space on my person for a flashlight.

Could someone explain?

A good point, first I would say my lamp is really small, the size of half a pencil, besides the "what if" ocasional moment, the gate to acces the complex where I live is not iluminated by the street light, so yeah, very particular uses to my situation, but the size make up for it, and it was nice to had it when I needed it. If i had i phone I would probably had a flashlight app and drop the key holder, but that is not the case.

Phone, wallet, keys, and some form of bladed weapon (depending on the amount of mobility I'll be needing that day: e.g. at Yomacon I would have an actual katana in that sheathe.  On the street or at school it'll be a switchblade or other such item.)