Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Masamune Sword

VanKleiss

Hi everyone, I´d like to share some fast concepts I made for a Masamune/Nodachi sword in Warframe. I´m pretty sure that everyone here will recognize this from Final Fantasy VII Sephiroth´s iconic sword or maybe from it´s historical reference, which is Sasaki Kojiro´s usual Nodachi, also named (by himself)"The Laundry-Drying Pole". I know we already have the Nikana and Dragon Nikana but, to be honest, I´d love to see this kind of weapon in Warframe.

pbIKouH.png?1

9LTzRfC.png

You want the Masamune to be a new kind of weapon or just another nikana? if its the first one, you should think of something that makes it different from a nikana (apart from the size)

It´s the second one, more like another nikana. Since the Nodachis are simply another kind of Katana but with a larger size as you described before

It´s the second one, more like another nikana. Since the Nodachis are simply another kind of Katana but with a larger size as you described before

I think a nodachi functions similarly to a greatsword in terms of functionality. 

IF DE considers it, maybe it could be a greatsword, maybe a new stance to go with it (not likely though)

dDmOBvm.jpg

I think a nodachi functions similarly to a greatsword in terms of functionality. 

IF DE considers it, maybe it could be a greatsword, maybe a new stance to go with it (not likely though)

dDmOBvm.jpg

A katana like weapon shouldn't be wielded like a Galatine, weapons that are violently smashed against everything, using not cutting power, but blunt force, while Masamune and Muramasa are revered for its edges.

Although thinking about it, it should probably be a normal nodachi, and not that weapon by name, because you would have to create a Nikana Muramasa (although a dark looking Nikana would be cool)

A katana like weapon shouldn't be wielded like a Galatine, weapons that are violently smashed against everything, using not cutting power, but blunt force, while Masamune and Muramasa are revered for its edges.

Although thinking about it, it should probably be a normal nodachi, and not that weapon by name, because you would have to create a Nikana Muramasa (although a dark looking Nikana would be cool)

Didn´t think about the idea of a dark looking Nikana, that would be awesome too xP

Don't really get why people like katanas so much, can someone enlighten me?

Well they have a rich history and one of the simplest elegant designs. In their time there were considered a warriors weapon and soul. The few rare ones were considered a status item. They are beautiful and deadly.

I think was referring to that it's a larger, two-handed sword rather than another Galatine. I don't see any Galatine being wielded like the sword in the images he gave.

I think was referring to that it's a larger, two-handed sword rather than another Galatine. I don't see any Galatine being wielded like the sword in the images he gave.

It is a heavy sword by definition, but shouldn't be one here on warframe, it was used as one against cavalry, but i don't see fit using tempo royal smashing moves for example in a nodachi like weapon, but well, you can't really get away with creating a nodachi category with heavy swords and katana taken already, they should at least make a stance that resemble the use of long swords in the monster hunter franchise, strong, fast and smooth cutting movements using a nodachi to make use of the longer range

Well they have a rich history and one of the simplest elegant designs. In their time there were considered a warriors weapon and soul. The few rare ones were considered a status item. They are beautiful and deadly.

I honestly don't get the appeal at all, but thats just my opinion. Also, what rich history do they have?

I honestly don't get the appeal at all, but thats just my opinion. Also, what rich history do they have?

The Katana has a longer history that just being a "Japanese sword", in fact it started out as a Chinese designed sword which the Japanese continued to improve upon later on to become the iconic weapon it is today.

The design can be traced back to Tang Dynasty China (618-907 ad), with the Tang Dao (Tang blade/knife)

SzU13D8.jpg

Much like contemporary Japan, some Tang Dao are elaborately designed to portray symbols of status

e.g.

RzhRwHe.jpg

At some point I can only assume that Chinese exploration to the Japanese Islands had resulted in the locals there adopting the weapon for their own use as well as improving on its design. It fits the timeline of its creation too, with the earliest instances of Katanas (Jōkotō) appearing around 900ad (during Tang Dynasty). It then evolved over-time to ironically form its fame as a Japanese weapon, rather than a Chinese weapon, with the Japanese Feudal era, Shogunate etc etc.