The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking For Opinions On Gram Vs Tonbo.

Xunvia

Question

The title of the thread is pretty much everything in summary.

Though, for a bit more context, i'm currently using Tonbo and i'm looking to try out and, maybe, upgrade from it to Gram. At first glance, looking at the stats, it seems like a straight up upgrade from Tonbo, though you lose 10% status chance and 0.050 attack speed when going to Gram. Doing a bit of further research, looking at the Warframe wiki and such, the disadvantages seem really negligible. So... eh... What is everyone's thoughts?

6 answers to this question

if you're into fast killing spree then I think you should stick to Tonbo, but if you like to hit more damage then I suggest you take Jat Kittag or Scindo family instead of Gram or you could take Galatine, that's better XD

*just my opinion*

while I do love a good Heavy Blade, I'd prefer the Tonbo. the extra Status is very helpful, especially if you're gonna take it into higher level content later on. you seem like a new player though, so I would still recommend trying new things out when you want. it'll level up your Mastery rank, and allow you to learn the behaviour of each weapon.

the Gram, Like all Heavy Blades, is a slow but hard hitter. not everyone likes the slower speed though, but later on you can fix that with mods. the Tonbo is faster, and has slightly more reach, but you'll need more hits to kill an enemy. both are fairly good weapons though, and later you can work your way up to the almighty Galatine and Orthos.

it should be worth noting that while the Tonbo is classed as a Polearm, it's wielded the same way as a Staff. Polearm attacks are usually much faster, and are slash/Puncture based.

if you're into fast killing spree then I think you should stick to Tonbo, but if you like to hit more damage then I suggest you take Jat Kittag or Scindo family instead of Gram or you could take Galatine, that's better XD

*just my opinion*

while I do love a good Heavy Blade, I'd prefer the Tonbo. the extra Status is very helpful, especially if you're gonna take it into higher level content later on. you seem like a new player though, so I would still recommend trying new things out when you want. it'll level up your Mastery rank, and allow you to learn the behaviour of each weapon.

the Gram, Like all Heavy Blades, is a slow but hard hitter. not everyone likes the slower speed though, but later on you can fix that with mods. the Tonbo is faster, and has slightly more reach, but you'll need more hits to kill an enemy. both are fairly good weapons though, and later you can work your way up to the almighty Galatine and Orthos.

it should be worth noting that while the Tonbo is classed as a Polearm, it's wielded the same way as a Staff. Polearm attacks are usually much faster, and are slash/Puncture based.

Yea, I'm a fairly new player; currently Mastery 7 going 8 with around 250 hours clocked with my Trinity Prime. So far, I like AOE type weapons like the Toncor and Sonicor that i'm also using. Granted, i'm wanting to swap Sonicor for something else possibly. Though, It's why I went with the Tonbo, after trying out Orthos, since it has a large radius of attack with Reach on it and has a fairly balanced damage set up to work with. Gram seems like a good upgrade at face value, cause of its stats. While it moves with Tempo Royale seems to give it decent AOE effectiveness, but you lose the boost in mod capacity.

Galatine, to me, is also an upgrade from Tonbo while losing 5% status, damage in puncture by 8.9, damage in impact by 4.9, but gaining 5% crit chance, damage in slash by 58.8, wall attack by 117, spin attack by 72, and leap attack by 45. At the same time, Tempo Royale fits with Galatine for the extra mod capacity boost and AOE effectiveness. However, what stops me from leaping towards Galatine and using it, is how focused its damage is in slash. Granted, I have Sonicor and Tonkor for impact and puncure damage to help against shield or armor respectively. So... Eh... Galatine is also an option, I just need to get and test out the Tempo Royale stance to get a good idea if I want to dedicate to either Galatine or Gram, or just stick with Tonbo.

Edited by Fir3mane

Tonbo is my favorite melee weapon so biased opinion. If you get the status up to 70 or higher and put a CC combo like blast + electric you can do amazing things. Corrosive and fire also accomplish this well, along with its massive range you can even kill cameras and drones without leaving the ground.

I KNOW! That reach is amazing with Corrosive and fire! I have yet to test it out with Blast and electric. So aye, a new combo to try!