Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game Is Not In Beta

Story4

Personally, I think the fact that they ripped out the ENTIRE MOD SYSTEM and replaced it says something about the Beta tag.

Let me tickle your imagination then..

Ever heard of a game called EVE-online?

Was released about ten years ago.

It *still* hasn't got the features that it should according to the back of the box.

According to some, that would mean it's in beta, or even alpha..

But clearly it's a released game that's been turning a good profit for a decade.

Online games don't have the restrictions that old offline games have, devs can rip stuff out and keep adding/changing at any time in the games life.

And *Still* not be a beta.

Heard of Star wars galaxies?

Yeah... The game was buggy as hell all through it's life, incomplete, unbalanced (but fun before they destroyed it).

And still not a beta.

The community needs to reevaluate the concepts of a "finished" game..

In an online world, there exists no such thing.

Thusly, a 'Beta' tag is completely irrelevant, and is little more than a pavlov bell to get people to swallow eventual deficiencies without protest.

The game is not 'released' as the old meaning of the word would have it, but yet it's publicly available and turning a profit.

The game is not in Beta as it would have been in the past, but it will get constantly updated regardless, since it's turning a profit.

As the subject matter evolves, we must adapt our mode of thinking to deal with the situation, the tags 'released' 'alpha' 'beta' barely apply at all anymore, we need new labels that describe it better.

some food for thought..

The whole confusion about what state a piece of software (games in particular) is in, is mainly due to how fast the games industry has pushed the boundaries of what's an acceptable business practice..

If One, single company gets away with making a profit on something that used to be deemed community-driven charity (i.e beta-testing) then guess what?

Every single business thereafter will copy the same formula, and expand upon it.

For instance take this whole "founders-package" thing, it's basically inspired by the kickstarer projects, and a call for a financial boost for smallish developers to be able to finish a game before funds run out, most often by giving something exclusive in return, like a title or a cosmetic item.

The first of these i heard of was Mechwarrior online, and since they pulled in extreme amounts of money from it most others followed suit.

Gamers seem to be willing to plop down obscene smounts of cash these days for even a rumour of a promise of something great later on.

Which is, i think, a part of a greater social issue that these forums aren't made for and i won't touch on it here.

Frankly, the company-consumer relation is inching very close to business-investor levels..

The difference being though, that gamers that invest by buying founders-packs and such are getting zero return on investment.

While people that pay almost the same amount by stocks and shares get a financial share...

One could argue that founders-packs and such are a form of charity towards a games development life, and rightly so, however, that doesn't explain the prevalence of the cash-shops.

(There are perfectly fine ways of testing cash-shop content without it requiring real money)

As always, profit-driven businesses will do exactly just enough to keep you paying and not an iota more.

Greatest profit possible with as little time invested as possible.

DE is not responsible for it, it's just how it works in games these days.

I have no doubt that DE, like any other studio are just trying to make as good a game as possible, and to do that they have to get an income, and thusly has to follow the current trends in monetizing, wether it's moral or not, wether they want to or not.

DE is currently straddling the border of what i think is justifiable, and they know it.

Tl;dr   Don't like the current state of gaming? Vote with your wallet, that's the only way corporations will get the message that somethings wrong.

But hey, at least it's not neverwinter, right?

100 % correct. As an old time gamer (and now steam-user), it's weird to see people buying early access games for example. Pay now, if you're lucky, you might even get a game in return... .

Lol. A comedian! We needed one!

No, they wouldn't want to TEST the cash shop, would they? They want the same thing to happen as has been happening in Marvel Heroes. Half the time, people can't even BUY GOLD in that buggy POS. No, its gonna be PERFECT as soon as they they put it up in a FRICKING BETA. ROFL!

You are hilarious. Keep it coming. I need the laughs.

ROFLMAO!

I don't know what I find sillier. The apparent self centered-ness, the sense of entitlement, or the sheer idiocy. I am almost literally falling out of my chair laughing at this. Well done. You have a future as a comedian.

It is funny. In a sad kind of way, but funny. Nicely done. I need the laughs these days.

Wow, 100% over-reaction on a aspergers level.

I think we need to think less of the actual meaning of these words, and just think simple.  They started off in a closed state, so they called it 'closed beta'.   As of a month or two ago, they ended the 'close beta' and went public, thus they called it 'open beta'.  For all intended purposes, the game isn't complete since they are changing things, adding things, fixing things, etc. so its a work-in-progress.    I don't get why people keep making these threads.  Does the idea of this game being beta, or not, really affect you?

Ha, this is far from the buggiest game (beta or not) I've ever played.  That's just silly.

So you haven't played Simcity or EVE or Skyrim (or anything from Bethusda for that matter)?

Edited by Law_Abiding_Engineer

Fanboys will be fanboys.

Warframe is not in beta. Being in beta would imply that they are asking us to test a game that they have developed, free of charge.

The second they start offering things for money (at exorbitant prices, at that) it is no longer in beta.

There's nothing wrong with this except that you are using bad terminology, and using 'beta' as an excuse for them to not internally test a lot (if not most) of their patches.

The clan weapons, for example. Many of them are very, very poor. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that something is overpowered or underpowered.

It's okay for them to not be in beta. It's not okay for them to not internally test and then ask us for money to test it for them. Get it?

You do not define what is and is not a beta.  There is also no golden rule stating whether or not a company can or can not charge during betas.

There is a LOT Warframe needs added before this game can be considered 'released', and quite frankly, it's not up to the players to decide whether it's released or not.

What counts as "feature complete" in this case? Many of the things that have been added or changed of late were due expressly to player feedback during Closed (buy-in/invite) and Open Beta phases. The Core features, Running, Shooting, Powers, Melee are all nearly complete. The dungeon generator is also nearly complete. The only game mode that isn't near complete is the Capture mode which still has a stand-in who is Corpus and not faction based. Boss battles are perhaps also one of the few Core elements of this game that are also still under heavy development. Lore is also much needed (but confirmed to be on the way).

Free Running, Blocking, the Void, Dojos(which is an Alpha in a Beta, figure that one out), endless defense/mobile-defense, tons of guns, are all extensions on the core feature set. If we were going to look at what would make Warframe a "Feature Complete" game most that is nearly ready. Would it be a particularly deep game? Not really and if was a "standard CoD" game would be looking at Day 1 DLC and an expansion within the first month of release.

The question is how much of the expanded features introduced by player feedback during these beta stages will be "ready" by the time of the PS4 launch.

Personally I'd rather have a Beta with a Cash shop then a "release title" with a cash shop which is still Beta(development) quality *cough* Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer *cough*.

*Edit*

Look at this way. What if DE dropped the Dojo and Void, and stopped creating new tile sets to focus on fixing the ones they have already. Same for weapons (sans Dojo research weapons). The game could be feature complete. Ready for the Grineer World and Clan's Rebirth expansions. Would it be bug free or bug lite? In 5 months I'm not so sure given how persistent some of longer term bugs have been. Knifeskating would likely still be a thing. However it would be a functionally complete game. No new frames from here on out, no new guns. The only "new" content would be a heavy focus on boss redos for Golem and perhaps one other, plus actual Lore.

It would certainly be feature complete on the scale of many other "release" games of the last five years, pushed by major Publishers. Even weaksauce Lore would be par for the CoD course.

Edited by Brasten

This thread is very toxic. Nothing is getting discussed and it is just turning into a flaming war.

Especially the guy who keeps starting his threads with "fanboys will be fanboys".

Seriously, how does that help a discussion? You start off with a personal attack that is completely

unrelated to the topic it will definitely not help your case.

I came here thinking I could find some information on what are the criteria for a game to be beta and

the progress on the game development stage. But instead, all I find is childish insults and people

acting mighty without providing any kind of information to share with the community.

This thread is very toxic. Nothing is getting discussed and it is just turning into a flaming war.

Especially the guy who keeps starting his threads with "fanboys will be fanboys".

Seriously, how does that help a discussion? You start off with a personal attack that is completely

unrelated to the topic it will definitely not help your case.

I came here thinking I could find some information on what are the criteria for a game to be beta and

the progress on the game development stage. But instead, all I find is childish insults and people

acting mighty without providing any kind of information to share with the community.

This post sums it up pretty well. If half the people refuse to use the generally accepted definition and/or outright dismiss any opinion that isn't theirs, there's not much point having the discussion in the first place.