The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr: Any Tips For A Beginner?

(PSN)Namihana

Question

So, hello, relatively new player here and I have to say, Valkyr has caught my eye. I don't know what it is about this frame, but I am absolutely smitten.

Basically without being creepy, I want to main Valkyr. But I am wholly ignorant on her(well ok not entirely). Like, what makes her tick? What mods/builds should I go for? Weapons that best suit her? Anything I should know about her abilities, besides the basics? I've read through her wikia entry but I'd still like some actual, experienced player input.

PS: I would watch some youtube videos on How To Valkyr but I'm afraid they might be outdated? If you guys have suggestions for that though, then by all means, please.

20 answers to this question

I'm not an expert woth Valkyr but I would recommend you use steel fiber for the immense armor increase. Also build Valkyr for hysteria. she is basically invisible (4th skill) check warframe.wikia.com for more information about tips on building Valkyr

don't you mean invincible?

anyway you should use the eternal war augment and build for max strength and duration then use hysteria and warcry to start clawing everything in your way

She is the best warframe for armor builds, so maxing her health and armor with steel fiber and vitality is pretty standard. Also, the rage mod is reccomended, as Valkyr can tank enough to fill up on energy and press 4 to get a health "loop". After that, you can get armored agility to make her faster and give her even more armor. You can also slide on a rush mod (perhaps in the exilus slot) just to make her ludicrously fast. For ability builds, you can pretty much go with hysteria or warcry. Hysteria works off of energy efficiency (which is different for toggled abilities: they are effected by both the efficiency and duration stats to calculate energy cost per second) and power strength to boost damage (if I remember correctly). Warcry is harder to build for, requiring you to juggle pretty much every stat except range (if you feel selfish). However, it can be rewarding, so try both abilities, and look up some current builds to see what you want to do.

She is the best warframe for armor builds, so maxing her health and armor with steel fiber and vitality is pretty standard. Also, the rage mod is reccomended, as Valkyr can tank enough to fill up on energy and press 4 to get a health "loop". After that, you can get armored agility to make her faster and give her even more armor. You can also slide on a rush mod (perhaps in the exilus slot) just to make her ludicrously fast. For ability builds, you can pretty much go with hysteria or warcry. Hysteria works off of energy efficiency (which is different for toggled abilities: they are effected by both the efficiency and duration stats to calculate energy cost per second) and power strength to boost damage (if I remember correctly). Warcry is harder to build for, requiring you to juggle pretty much every stat except range (if you feel selfish). However, it can be rewarding, so try both abilities, and look up some current builds to see what you want to do.

Okay I have Steel Fiber and Vitality so that's good, but I'm still missing that Rage mod and armored agility. I think I might play around with which build to use more. Maybe Hysteria for soloing stuff, and then War Cry for group plays?

Your ideal build will consist of something along the lines of:

Steel Charge
Power Drift (or movement mod, alternatively)

Blind Rage
Transient Fortitude
(Primed) Continuity
Narrow Minded
Fleeting Expertise
Streamline
Eternal War

Weapon is a *little* more tricky, but my personal build is as follows:

Pressure Point
Spoiled Strike
Berserker
Shocking Touch
Fever Strike
Virulent Scourge
True Steel
Organ Shatter

It's important to note that your actual weapon does *not* matter for Hysteria. The only thing that matters for it is the mods on the weapon, excluding any sort of unique weapon mod (syndicate, Covert Lethality.)

Edited by CDelacroix

steel fiber for the immense armor increase. Also build Valkyr for hysteria. 

Steel Fiber does very little in the way of helping Hysteria builds. You will, at any rate spend most of the time being invulnerable, almost making it a waste of slot unless you're 100% sure your task will be jumping inside Nullifier bubbles (which dispels your Hysteria).

You want duration (for WarCry), efficiency and power strength. And crit/elemental status/attack speed/channeling mods on your melee, since Hysteria claws benefit from those. Steel Charge aura mod, too. Range is one thing you do NOT want when running pure Hysteria build, since it increases the range of backlash damage when Hysteria ends. 

Oh, and learn to use Hysteria's sliding attack in every situation. It deals so much more damage than your basic strikes it's almost ridiculous.

Edited by Reifnir

It's all about Hysteria huh? Gotcha.

Getting Eternal War might be a little problematic since I kinda joined an opposing Syndicate to PS and NL. Maybe I can get one off the trading tab? 

You can trade mods from other players with opposing syndicates.

And there's Hysteria and Non-Hysteria builds. Which is basically the same build, except with Hysteria you just throw away your Vitality/Steel Fiber/Rage and focus on efficiency/power strength since you'll be invincible for the entirety of the mission anyway.

Your ideal build will consist of something along the lines of:

Steel Charge

Power Drift (or movement mod, alternatively)

Blind Rage

Transient Fortitude

(Primed) Continuity

Narrow Minded

Fleeting Expertise

Streamline

Eternal War

Noted, thanks! Man I have a bunch of mod hunting to do.

Noted, thanks! Man I have a bunch of mod hunting to do.

No problem! I edited my post with the weapon build I personally use for Valkyr as well. On the upside, most of the mods my Valkyr build calls for are useful for far more than just her, so there won't be any wasted effort there. The only major grind is that there are three R10 mods required (BR, TF, NM) that need to be ranked up, so core farming will be a must.

I feel like whatever I might tell you here will already have been covered here, in the wiki and those in those vids but hey you asked for it :)

Valkyr is a melee based tank built around her 2nd and 4th ability since the mods you want for these two complement each other.

1)

Your gonna want to build her around her ult (which is melee berserker mode ofc)

Her ult has an energy drain which is lessened by both duration and effeciency mods

Power strength increases your melee dmg in ult ofc

TIP: Power effeciency is capped at 175% except for energy drain abilities

I dont even equip defensive mods since the point is to be in hysteria pretty much always.

And since I dont plan on taking damage anyways I dont use Rage.

2)

To increase melee dmg in her ult and to change your damage type for different factions and situations you will need to mod your melee weapon in your loadout. Remember pretty much all mods will effect your ult but the base stats of your melee weapon itself wont. So it doesnt even matter what melee weapon you take with you, just the mods.

I dont like presenting builds, I suggest you experiment yourself with the different mods.

Essential mods:

Pressure point

Elemental mods (in almost all cases)

The rest is up to your preference, here some suggestions that work:

True Steel

Organ Shatter

Berserker

Fury

Reach

Life Strike (her ult already has this, only equip when you feel like you need it)

Killing Blow

Finishing touch (only if other warframes in your squad blind enemies and allow for finishers)

Spoiled Strike

Physical damage mods (puncture/slash/impact)

3)

Her 2nd ability will increase melee attack speed which is a direct dps buff to her ult

This ability benefits from all the mods you want for your ult (this is why these two abilities work well together)

Either always have this buff on during your ult or use it for when you are not one-hitting in your ult (which happens rarely once modded correctly believe me)

One last tip for this, I would look in to getting the augment mod: Eternal War

When you take advantage of this mod you will have an... well.. eternal buff.

gl and hf out there :)

EDIT: One last thing, if Valkyr truely becomes your main and your gonna absolutely min max the bedazzle out of her, there are a few arcanes you get from the trials (raids) that she benefits from. My personal tip is Arcane Energize. This is kinda end-game stuff so dont get yourself too confused about what this is (woopwoop wiki) just keep it in the back of your mind

Edited by AntarcticMantis

I have two builds I use for her

1. Hysteria Build: Buff your energy reserves and lower your energy cost as much as possible for near infinite hysteria. Makes her a monster for survival.

2. Speed build for assassination or sabatoge: Rush (maxed) and Armored Agility (maxed),Energy Siphon (maxed) Use her mobility to get to the target, pop hysteria and kill what you are there for, and quickly get to extraction. If you have a weapon like orthos prime which shreds most planet bosses, you don't even need hysteria with vitality and steel fiber for survivability.

Number two has become my personal favorite as I can run those missions solo in a couple of minutes.

So, hello, relatively new player here and I have to say, Valkyr has caught my eye. I don't know what it is about this frame, but I am absolutely smitten.

Basically without being creepy, I want to main Valkyr. But I am wholly ignorant on her(well ok not entirely). Like, what makes her tick? What mods/builds should I go for? Weapons that best suit her? Anything I should know about her abilities, besides the basics? I've read through her wikia entry but I'd still like some actual, experienced player input.

PS: I would watch some youtube videos on How To Valkyr but I'm afraid they might be outdated? If you guys have suggestions for that though, then by all means, please.

OH MY GOSH THANK YOU!!! :D I'm in the exact same boat as you and I just got like 6 hours left until the crafting is finished (I might even rush it) and I was looking everywhere for some help on valkyr but this helped sooo much

There is 4 main types of build: hysteria only, a warcry hysteria cross, a base stats build, and a full ability build.

I personally kind of like a hysteria warcry cross, but mainly use a stat build

You forgot max range prolonged paralysis.

The basic idea of Valkyr is to use Vitality and Steel Fiber to increase your effective health so you can take hits, use Rage to turn damage taken into Energy to fuel Hysteria, and use Hysteria to regain your health and murder everything around you. Vitality, Steel Fiber, Rage. That's all you need to get Valkyr functional.

A more advanced Valkyr build will have enough Efficiency and Duration to make Hysteria cheap enough to maintain at all times, Eternal War augment to keep Warcry going for a long time, and as much Power Strength as can be fit while doing all that.

This is my own Valkyr build:

Corrosive Projection, Power Drift (Exilus)

Intensify, Transient Fortitude, Fleeting Expertise, Narrow Minded, Eternal War

Vitality, Steel Fiber, Rage

Weapon:

Pressure Point, Spoiled Strike, True Steel, Organ Shatter, Shocking Touch, Molten Impact, Fever Strike, Primed Reach

Notes: Strictly speaking, Vitality, Steel Fiber and Rage are no longer necessary when you have Hysteria up near-permanently. But I like to have them just in case. Nullifiers, Drain Eximus, and those skating Corpus guys can make it a risky prospect to completely rely on your godmode.

The basic idea of Valkyr is to use Vitality and Steel Fiber to increase your effective health so you can take hits, use Rage to turn damage taken into Energy to fuel Hysteria, and use Hysteria to regain your health and murder everything around you. Vitality, Steel Fiber, Rage. That's all you need to get Valkyr functional.

This is the best suggestion there. I main Valkyr as well, and I'm still a noob on her, but all you need is those mods on your warframe to be functional. You also need crit and damage mods on your melee weapon - it's almost more important than your frame. Range is also great, and Berserker is fun on Valkyr for sure.

Warframe power, efficiency, and duration mods are all very useful to Valkyr, but they're not required, and you can mix and match as you like for what way you want to go. I pack Armored Agility along with Steel Fiber - so far, both of the armor mods - to further maximize my health pool - remember, the more armor you have, the farther each point of health goes.

Less about theory, more about practically - I found that rapidly pressing my melee button all day was making my finger sore. And not good on my keyboard. I wound up switching melee and quick melee buttons to my scroll-wheel, so I just scroll and Valky buzzsaws into the enemies. 

You may want to make it one-directional scrolling and use a second button somewhere for the melee attack as well, so you can do hold button requirements in your combos, but I strongly, strongly recommend binding melee attack to your mouse wheel. Probably not so relevant to a PS4 player..

Edited by starsrift