The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nvidia Physx With An Intel Cpu

0Skyrim0

Question

5 answers to this question

Hello there,

is there a possibility running PhysX with my CPU, while using an AMD GPU?

(Short and sweet.)

PhysX uses GPU processing but if your GPU don't support PhysX, then its not gonna work. AMD GPUs dont have support to PhysX, its a Nvidia exclusive tecnology. In AMD GPU PCs, PhysX is calculated using CPU power, making the game runs slower. Depending of you CPU and the game, it can drop your frames drastically.

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

You can install physx separately and run from your cpu with some performance losses.

In fact, despite it being not recommended, there are many tutorials online that cover the topic.

But do tell, why would you want to do that?

PhysX uses GPU processing but if your GPU don't support PhysX, then its not gonna work. AMD GPUs dont have support to PhysX, its a Nvidia exclusive tecnology. It can work if you have a Nvidia GPU and a AMD CPU like me.

I heard something else than that.

There are plenty benchmarks about an CPU handling the PhysX of Nvidia (yea, I know that this is an exclusive thing, like G-Sync and Freesync for their respective brands) while using an incompatible GPU - which doesn't get into count in these tests.

Even some people recommended me running PhysX on my CPU (at least enabling it), since my CPU is as strong as possible handling it flawlessly.

So, there must be a way using it, the question is: How?

PhysX should have a standalone instance running it, while not using the overall NVIDIA drivers.

You can install physx separately and run from your cpu with some performance losses.

In fact, despite it being not recommended, there are many tutorials online that cover the topic.

But do tell, why would you want to do that?

Because I can, and despite the current quality the game offers, it makes no loss onto my allocated performance, and it looks good - positive for youtube.

Edited by 0Skyrim0

It is not possible to enable Hardware Accelerated PhysX effects for Warframe if you do not have a PhysX compatible Nvidia GPU.

While some games do offer CPU PhysX support, this is software-accelerated PhysX; it does not take advantage of hardware specifically designed to boost PhysX performance. Warframe does not offer CPU support for advanced PhysX effects.

So it was fully disabled with the appearance of SHIELD? Sad but expected.

Something tells me there might be a way to bypass it with a few tweaks should one decide to ignore nvidia's eula, but, still, literally no reason to do that.

Warframe does not offer CPU support for advanced PhysX effects.

This is why I asked 0Skyrim0 about the reason behind the idea itself.